Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Brakes Banging

The car went in last May and the (independent) garage advised the handbrake cable was frayed and it needed a new one at the price of almost £500 from lexus.  I advised not to bother as I felt it didn't need it being an auto and also the handrake was working. 

Skip to now and when taking your foot off the brake and putting it into drive and accelerating the back brakes make an awful bang.  I have taken the brakes apart and replaced the pin in the calliper as it was sticking, this now moves freely.  However on putting everything back together it is still making the same noise, the brakes are moving freely.  Could the handbrake be sticking even though it hasn't been engaged?  It only seems to be the one side - drivers side.

It does rather sound like a sticking handbrake shoe, often caused by corrosion on the inner face of the rear discs.   Needs to be addressed sooner rather than later as it could jam the wheel with expensive/dangerous consequences.   Either yourself or your chosen garage need to strip both down and find out what is going on.   Note:   Also an MOT fail if the handbrake is not working correctly.   Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lexusloopy said:

The car went in last May and the (independent) garage advised the handbrake cable was frayed and it needed a new one at the price of almost £500 from lexus.  I advised not to bother as I felt it didn't need it being an auto and also the handrake was working. 

Skip to now and when taking your foot off the brake and putting it into drive and accelerating the back brakes make an awful bang.  I have taken the brakes apart and replaced the pin in the calliper as it was sticking, this now moves freely.  However on putting everything back together it is still making the same noise, the brakes are moving freely.  Could the handbrake be sticking even though it hasn't been engaged?  It only seems to be the one side - drivers side.

Does it make the sound when taking off first thing on a morning or all the time?

If its just first thing on a morning, its completely normal and caused by a combination of rain and cold weather causing the brake discs to rust and therefore stick. They release with a little bang.

It'll only stick completely if left over a long period of time so if you go on holiday, keep the parking brake off. 

• Like 2