Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It is time for me to buy a family car.

Looking in auto-trader I found the Lexus is 220d to be quite affordable. 

I can find a car starting from less than 2000 pounds 

But taking a look at your forum makes me rethinking about it.

Is it worth the 2.500pounds to buy one? 

How expensive is to run it?

Please please do not buy the lexus is220d. It is the most unreliable car on the planet. I owned one and it cost me a fortune in repairs. 

Do yourself a favour and buy the is250 instead. It's a far superior car.

Unless the IS220 has been well looked after and it has been used mainly for motorway mileage, and you need a car for long distance driving, it is best avoided.

There is an IS250 for sale on Autotrader for the same kind of money, although it needs an alloy wheel refurb and has a fault with wipers and has 130K on the clock, it might be a better bet.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702182455144

• Like 1

If you gonna do local mileage then is220d is not ideal car due to dpf problems, plus loads of other issues like head gasket, 5th injector problem, you can get is250 for same money as bobmc mentioned and it's a better car.

Certainly not a car i would consider owning again.

Had mine just over a year and in that time the head gasket went. Dpf blocked up. New egr valve fitted as the old one was beyond cleaning. Rear brake calipers seized up. Turbo wastegate stuck open. Problem with 5th injector causing masses of thick embarrassing smoke.

Dreadful gearbox. Massive turbo lag. 

If you do buy this car make sure you have the best roadside assistance package as you'll probably need it.

If you want is220d you need to know that this model is factory broken. After little work

- no tubo lag

-no egr problem

-no dpf problem

-no smoke

- lower fuel consumption

-no 5ft injector

Other problems as the standard diesel, turbo, injectors, DMF.

Thank you all for responding. 

I have probably changed my mind. 

I thought that Lexus is the synonymous of reliability but not the case. 

What is the real consumption of is250?

My intention is to use the car for everyday use but also once a year to go back and forth to Greece where I am from. 

Problem with planes. 

Iso the is 250 suitable for this use?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, guas38 said:

It is time for me to buy a family car.

Looking in auto-trader I found the Lexus is 220d to be quite affordable. 

I can find a car starting from less than 2000 pounds 

But taking a look at your forum makes me rethinking about it.

Is it worth the 2.500pounds to buy one? 

How expensive is to run it?

better off buying a wheelbarrow tbh.

if you somehow end up taking that car to Greece I want to see a photo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, guas38 said:

My intention is to use the car for everyday use but also once a year to go back and forth to Greece where I am from. 

Problem with planes. 

clearly you know nothing about the 220d, its a Lexus with a Toyota agricultural D4D engine

So not really a Lexus at all, there is a reason they pulled the plug on it.

The is250 is far superiour, the one posted above on AT looks a bargain in retrospect, it even has the ML soundsystem. 

If you think these are cheap attractive premium cars to buy (going by the cost of the 220d) you need to be aware servicing is going to be expensive so before you take the plunge these are not Vauxhall Corsas to run.

The link to the 250 looks good but be prepared to throw more money on it but it will still be far better than any 220d.

• Like 1

The is250 is an extremely reliable car. Probably the most reliable car you can buy. Sadly the is220d is completely the opposite. Just read through the threads on the forum. Lexus made a huge mistake putting the deisel engine in the is.

On a steady motorway run at 65mph on cruise I can hit 43 mpg. I was lucky to get 40 with the deisel. Around town I'm averaging 25 mpg but expect better once the weather warms up. 

• Like 1

Constantine is asking if the IS250 would be suitable for going to Greece (we have well put him off a IS220d!).

Absolutely - the IS250 is reliable and a comfortable long distance cruiser. Not the best leg room in the back (do you have smallish children?) and the boot is not enormous - but travel light with no back seat passengers or ones with shortish legs and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad we put him off the diesel as it would only have been a matter of time before he was back on the forum reporting problems.

You wont find a better cruiser than the is250. It feels right at home on the motorway and returns surprisingly good mpg for a v6 petrol. 

I really appreciate your guidelines my friends. 

My family consists of myself, my wife, my 8 year old daughter and our German Shepherd dog. 

Only the flight tickets for the  dog makes the voyage an affordable. 

So I was thinking that a car like this is going to make it an adventure. 

IS250 Auto

Real world mpg I have found to be

27-31mpg around town and on shorter journeys

36-42mpg on a good motorway run using cruise control

It is a very comfortable car and one of the most reliable cars you could find. 

Have you had a read through this?

4 hours ago, guas38 said:

I really appreciate your guidelines my friends. 

My family consists of myself, my wife, my 8 year old daughter and our German Shepherd dog. 

Only the flight tickets for the  dog makes the voyage an affordable. 

So I was thinking that a car like this is going to make it an adventure. 

a 220d would make it an adventure alright, for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 10:13 PM, guas38 said:

Problem with planes. 

As all other mentioned, stay away from IS220d... especially the ones which are below £4000. You can easily find manual IS250 for same money, although I strongly advice to buy auto one, because of tax being £295 instead of £495 and generally being more refined and reliable car. However, as you might know IS220d is only available with manual so I assume you have accepted that when looking for it.

As for purely driving to Greece IS220d would be fine (as any other diesel), high ratio 6th gear suitable for EU motorways speeds, but for the rest of the year not so much.

IS250 real fuel consumtion - It depends, I spend most of the time in the worst London traffic jams and my tank average MPG is 25, my long term MPG is 29.1, I did trip to EU few month back 3000+ miles, speeds 130MPH+ (I believe I did part of the trip ~1000miles on average 104MPH) and the fuel consumtion was 33MPG on winter tires. If you stick to 90MPH you can get high 30's maybe even touch of 40. The best MPG you can consistently get doing 70MPH is around 44-45MPG.

That is true, for long journeys like yours diesel would be better and unless you have 4 people sharing the fuel cost it might not be as competitive in terms of fuel consumtion. I did my calculation recently and it worked out that it costed me (with ferry) ~ £350 to do 3000 miles trip, which in turn worked out as £50 per person ( there was 3 people outbound and 4 inbound). So that is equivalent to £50 flight, as it was during Christmas when flights costed £450pp one way, obviously it was cheaper, but in summer when tickets are like £30 I would not drive.

Lexus is indeed synonyms for reliability with one exception - IS220d. I am on 3rd IS250 now and my current one just clocked over 163k miles, FLSH and has never had major failure or job done.

As for suitability, IS250 is wonderful car, very comfortable at any speed and yes it would be suitable. It lacks some space in the back and I would not advice doing trip to Greece with 4 adults (even though I just did similar trip myself), as you said you going to have child it should be more than enough space.

• Like 1

I have to throw my defence for the IS220, there will always be lemons in a fruit basket. My Lexus IS220 has so far never let me down, never missed a beat. 

If you treat a car properly it will return the favour, that's why my IS220 will happily do 35-40mpg when I want and it will go 140mph when I want (I laughed when it passed the apparent 135mph top speed.)

If you do you research and are patient, you can find a good, reliable IS220 for around the 2000 pounds mark.

Mine is a bog standard IS220 (no parking aid, no leathers, no screen) but it has cruise control and aux so I'm happy, I picked it up from a lovely couple in Wales for 1800 and drove it 250 miles back to London. You can't let bad luck put you off a really good car because it's better than any BMW, audi or merc for that price. And the keyless entry is just a cherry on the cake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an IS220d, owned for about 8 months now and the only issue I have had is the rear ceased brake calipers.

Mine is an 07 plate with 86k miles on the clock, it is the sport model. I do 90 miles a day and haven't had a single issue, couldn't fault the car. From the 8 months experience I have had I am a very happy Lexus owner and I will keep with the brand. Probably upgrade to the 300h in a few years.

I do suffer from low MPG, very lucky to get over 35mpg and that is driving no more than 80mph on a dual carriageway.Then again the comfort and luxuries make up for it!! 

If you know how to drive and maintain a diesel car then you wouldn't have any issues with it. I dont understand why people buy a diesel if they drive 10 miles down the road and then moan when they get a blocked DPF.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Gossy1988 said:

If you know how to drive and maintain a diesel car then you wouldn't have any issues with it. I dont understand why people buy a diesel if they drive 10 miles down the road and then moan when they get a blocked DPF.

... or do local miles never exceeding 20MPH.

That is because our goverment in UK was promoting diesel cars for long time without actually understanding how they work. Similarly just judging by advertised MPG many people who have no clue about cars chosen to buy diesel to make "savings", but without understanding environment where those MPGs are achieved.

Diesel is great for long motorway cursing and very high annul mileages, but completely unsuitable for short/city journeys.

• Like 2

Yesterday, I drove my is220 from london to Aberdeen and back...the engine was not turned off for the whole 26hours drive and I'll tell you this, not a single whimper..I spent a good 10minuets doing 130mph on the A1(M) and it was more than happy.

Tell a lie, a warning light did come up... service light came on...changed the fluids and filters not two hours ago, reset the service light and now I'm going to drive to work. 

The is220 is a very good car, don't get it twisted.

• Like 1

admitting to doing almost double the national speed limit is a lengthy ban, not very clever.

As for the positive vibes on 220Ds, i will still pass up. I have heard the engine ticking over on these at idle and its not a pretty sight.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links