Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is220d brake calipers & pins

acer54

Is it a common occurrence for the slider pins to seize and need freeing and lubricating? All four of my calipers needed work on them to free of the slider pins recently, will this happen again and if so is their any way of preventing it happening in the first place?  

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, yes, it is a common occurrence.  3 out of 4 of my calipers have seized at some point over the last year and a half.

The only way to prevent future problems is to grease the pins regularly.  Depending on how much you use the car, somewhere between every 6 to 12 months is advisable.

I'm afraid the calipers are prone to seizing yes. Happened on my previous is220d. Now Im not sure how many pins there are but the problem I had was the caliper seized to the housing pin. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are 2 more pins inside the caliper which need regular greasing. The mechanic said he probably could get it off with heat but asked me to sign a disclaimer which I declined and opted for new calipers including the housing. Not cheap but safety first for me.

a lot of the guys here like to grease their caliper slide pins every 6-12 months. I recently had a service at toyota and politely asked them to grease the pins as they are prone to seizing. They did this for me at no extra cost which was awfully good of them.

19 hours ago, normski2 said:

If you are handy with spannering, take a read of these. Covers fronts and rears

Hope that helps

I'm a bit too old for spannering I'm afraid but the local independant garages rates are the standard £45 per hour so not too extortionate, considering the miles I do I'm hoping a check once per year will sort it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve..Ive just done this job myself and replaced the pins total cost £30 from an eBay seller..I'm local to you Sunderland (seaburn) I would gladly take a look at your brakes at no cost whatsoever dont pay £45 per hour as they will take 2 hours of your money!! even if you need new pins and rubbers I will fit them for free its really not a big job..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigchad said:

Hi Steve..Ive just done this job myself and replaced the pins total cost £30 from an ebay seller..I'm local to you Sunderland (seaburn) I would gladly take a look at your brakes at no cost whatsoever dont pay £45 per hour as they will take 2 hours of your money!! even if you need new pins and rubbers I will fit them for free its really not a big job..

Thanks for your offer, I've inboxed you.