Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grrrrr.....Grrrrr......a thousand times Grrrr!!!!

Got back to my car on a car park recently and someone had hit my car, hence the thousands of Grrrr's.

Fortunately the person who drove into my car is an upright citizen and clearly a person with a conscience and, he readily owned up and offered to pay for the repairs.

My car is going into Lexus next Thursday for wheel refurbishment, some of you may recall my thread

wherein I mentioned that they (The dealer) had damaged my wheels whilst they had my car.

I am going to ask them for a quote for the repairs whilst they have it but, just wondering what sort of figure you folks think that they will come up with the rectify things.

Piccy attached.

Damage_23_02_2017.jpg

Oh dear Geoff, what a shame. Haven't you just had a dash cam fitted? Would that have picked it up if the individual hadn't owned up? I'm no expert but that looks too much for a cosmetic repair and they'll probably want to take the bumper off to check for damage behind, that sensor looks like it's had a bash. Going on what my new bumper was for my NX, I'll say £1500 minimum. 

• Like 1

Oh gawd that's not what you want to find. Glad the culprit fessed up tho, that's commendable these days.

Paint shops may vary in their approach, some may focus on the damaged areas where another may recommend painting the entire bumper. I'd take it to a few reputable painters rather than a dealer, as the dealer is likely to add a premium and send it to the paint shop anyway.

Good luck getting it sorted.

• Like 1

Not nice but what a refreshing change to have someone own up!

Looking like a new sensor required and quite probably a new bumper. Might be possible to remould the skin but think I'd be happier with a replacement.

• Like 2

The damage is very minor, looks worse than it is. Easy to repair and no need for new bumper or sensor. The bad look would be taken off by an alcohol wipe. Bread and butter repair for any repairer. Try Auto restore part of the Autoglass group they do great work.

• Like 1

Well don't go to lexus garages they changed my hole rear bumper and charged me 1500€ for way less then that luckily i had full insurance🤔 i rectify they said they changed the bumper but im 110%they didn't+!!!...

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G900F folosind Tapatalk

The vast majority of my working life was spent as a telephone engineer on BT and I've worked on the telephones of all the main dealers over the years and I can categorically say that none of them, not a single one, had their own bodyshops, so going to Lexus for body repairs is a bit silly in my humble opinion - all they'll do is send it out to a local bodyshop and then put their own huge markup on.

Take it to two or three local places for estimates and go with whichever you get the best feel about, or if someone can give you a personal recommendation, all the better.

I scraped my RX300 on the gatepost recently and needed work on both the bumper and rear quarter panel - a local place did an excellent job for £200.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

I'd say do go to Lexus! The other chap's insurance is footing the bill, so I'd want the most complete repair, not a patch up...

And that's why we're all paying more for insurance than we need to be!

A local bodyshop will sort that out without any problems whatsoever and at a fraction of the price Lexus would charge.

• Like 1

looks repairable to me. alwaus difficult to judge from a picture and really need to feel the depth of the damage by hand especialy the damage at the bottom. If part of the plastic has been scraped off they might be able to fill it up with plastic, grind it and paint it. If the parkingsensor still works i guesstimate the bill at 400 - 600 sterling. However, if you go to the maindealer they are likely to tell you they will have to fit a new bumper and sensors which will bring the total well over 1500.

But, as it is insurancework you dont have to worry about the costs?

( tip! there might be other minor parkingbumps/scratches that need repaint or dents removed, maybe you can tie that in a deal with the bumper, all fine as long as it is not mentioned on the bill) 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Not nice but what a refreshing change to have someone own up!

Agreed, in this day and age it's refreshing to hear of stories like this.

The damage is not so bad and is bread and butter stuff to any competent body shop.  I'd estimate somewhere between £300 - £400 plus the price of the sensor if it really does need replacing.

The guy was decent enough to own up to hitting you. I think you should return the act of decency by not going to Lexus for the repair. As others have said, this is a reasonably simple repair for any competent body shop, I'd estimate £400-£500 tops. Lexus will charge 3 times that amount and send it out for repair anyway. If it was me that hit you I'd be happy to pay the body shop £500 out of my pocket than go through insurance, so maybe this option would suit him as well.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure that the chap wants to deal with me direct rather than go through his insurance.  I am going to try to source a reputable bodyshop in the area and get a quote from them, if I can find another couple that come recommended I'll get quotes from them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juicestop said:

The guy was decent enough to own up to hitting you. I think you should return the act of decency by not going to Lexus for the repair. As others have said, this is a reasonably simple repair for any competent body shop, I'd estimate £400-£500 tops. Lexus will charge 3 times that amount and send it out for repair anyway. If it was me that hit you I'd be happy to pay the body shop £500 out of my pocket than go through insurance, so maybe this option would suit him as well.

Agreed, but then maybe he should have had the decency to not hit the car in the first place? Mistakes happen but I always find that car parking scuffs are a result of trying your luck! You can instantly tell when you are too close to another car

The only problem I can see is if the bodyshop mess up, then it would need doing again and again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The only problem I can see is if the bodyshop mess up, then it would need doing again and again.

A. That could happen with any body repair, including those 'done' by Lexus

B. A body shop with a good reputation and possibly personal recommendation form someone would negate A.

11 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

A. That could happen with any body repair, including those 'done' by Lexus

B. A body shop with a good reputation and possibly personal recommendation form someone would negate A.

A) Unlikely - and if it did happen, it'd be sorted at no cost

B) A personal recommendation means nothing - some people are happy with the repair being the same colour and it wont matter to them whether there are holograms, etching, surface cracks or paint thats not perfectly smooth

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

A) Unlikely - and if it did happen, it'd be sorted at no cost

B) A personal recommendation means nothing - some people are happy with the repair being the same colour and it wont matter to them whether there are holograms, etching, surface cracks or paint thats not perfectly smooth

A. If the body shop make a mess, you don't pay for the job and you make them put it right at their cost, not yours

B. I'd rather rely on personal recommendation for most things as it's seen me in good stead for most of my life

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

I am pretty sure that the chap wants to deal with me direct rather than go through his insurance.  I am going to try to source a reputable bodyshop in the area and get a quote from them, if I can find another couple that come recommended I'll get quotes from them too.

Let's hope his sense of decency doesn't desert him when the time comes to pay. Personally I would always go through the insurance. 

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

A. If the body shop make a mess, you don't pay for the job and you make them put it right at their cost, not yours

B. I'd rather rely on personal recommendation for most things as it's seen me in good stead for most of my life

A. You still have to pay once - otherwise its counted as fraud as they've provided a service you haven't paid for.

B. Personal recommendations are subjective - would you take antibiotics for a 3 day cough if a lay person recommended it?

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

A. You still have to pay once - otherwise its counted as fraud as they've provided a service you haven't paid for.

B. Personal recommendations are subjective - would you take antibiotics for a 3 day cough if a lay person recommended it?

A...No it's not.

B....Silly Billy.

• Like 1

It's a simple basic repair. Any body shop would do this repair in their sleep. I'd agree Lexus will just send it out. Be fair on the guy. I'd recommended autorestore www.autorestore.co.uk I know for a fact they do a great job with full quality guarantee.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

A. Who pays for a job that is not completed satisfactorily??

Example 1 - I used to have a Granada just like the one below. Unfortunately some numpty scraped it and it needed work to the front wing. The body shop gave me a price of (can't remember but for sake of example we'll say £200) and I left it there. When they rang to say it was ready I spotted that they had made a mess of the masking and the blue and silver had overlapped in places, so I said that I was sorry but it just wasn't good enough and they would have to redo it. They did, and it didn't cost me a penny more than the £200.

grandad.jpg

Example 2 - We had a 3-seater settee reupholstered at a price of £325. When they brought it back it was immediately apparent that they had overstuffed the seat cushions - when you sat on them your knee/thigh was level with the top of the side arms! I rejected it and got them to take it away again and do it properly, at their expense, not mine.

Strangely enough, those two examples where situations that I couldn't get personal recommendations for first and just picked names from Yellow Pages.

Are you seriously saying that you hand over your hard-earned cash first and then complain?

B. Of course not, but that is a ridiculous comparison.

If someone recommends a body shop you can see and inspect the repair that they had done and make up your own mind as to whether or not it meets your own standards. Same if someone recommends a builder or gardener or whatever. A friend had someone in to build an extension for them. I was able to go round and see the quality of the builder's work before asking him to build my extension

34 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

A. Who pays for a job that is not completed satisfactorily??

Example 1 - I used to have a Granada just like the one below. Unfortunately some numpty scraped it and it needed work to the front wing. The body shop gave me a price of (can't remember but for sake of example we'll say £200) and I left it there. When they rang to say it was ready I spotted that they had made a mess of the masking and the blue and silver had overlapped in places, so I said that I was sorry but it just wasn't good enough and they would have to redo it. They did, and it didn't cost me a penny more than the £200.

grandad.jpg

Example 2 - We had a 3-seater settee reupholstered at a price of £325. When they brought it back it was immediately apparent that they had overstuffed the seat cushions - when you sat on them your knee/thigh was level with the top of the side arms! I rejected it and got them to take it away again and do it properly, at their expense, not mine.

Strangely enough, those two examples where situations that I couldn't get personal recommendations for first and just picked names from Yellow Pages.

Are you seriously saying that you hand over your hard-earned cash first and then complain?

B. Of course not, but that is a ridiculous comparison.

If someone recommends a body shop you can see and inspect the repair that they had done and make up your own mind as to whether or not it meets your own standards. Same if someone recommends a builder or gardener or whatever. A friend had someone in to build an extension for them. I was able to go round and see the quality of the builder's work before asking him to build my extension

A.  You said - "If the body shop make a mess, you don't pay for the job and you make them put it right at their cost, not yours". That statement implies you haven't paid for the job at all. 

B. Still doesn't mean anything - the same guy who worked on their car might have left, or someone else could be working on it. They might even be having a bad day and screw up or think "ahh that'll do". There's a reason I say this and its because everyday I get told "Oh no, he doesn't have any allergies". Check the record and hey ho, allergic to penicillin