Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New NX300H Sport - Useless infotainment system

I have a LG G4 and used it in an NX with premium nav. It picked up text messages without me having to do anything.

Could the issue be with the settings on your phone rather than the car?

• 4 months later...

Having just got my NX Sport, I can only add my difference of opinion with the OP on the standard nav. It is light years ahead of the Honda system I had in my 2015 CRV, and I'm really impressed. Granted, I'm no great lover of technology but this system is easy to use and with good graphics compared with my previous experience. Jolly good.

Telephone pairing and use is also excellent compared to my Honda. Jolly good again.

I tried out the system in the new MINI Countryman before I chose the NX, and my assumption is that it is similar to that in new BMWs. If that the case then I'm glad I didn't buy one, as I found it stupidly complex and hard to use. Aren't different opinions fascinating?

So far I can't work out the DAB as it doesn't seem to find many stations. As far as I can tell it is only looking at one receiver where the Honda gave loads of options. How to I find those? I didn't get a separate navigation manual either - should I have done?

After 6 months with this car, I am reasonably happy with the Infotainment system. It is very simple & dated but it does work well.

Most importantly, my wife likes the SatNav. So no moaning there.

Still, It would have been nice if Lexus allowed Android/Apple Auto

I don't get many DAB stations either. SOmetimes they fade out in certain areas. 

On 26/09/2017 at 10:40 PM, Runwaypimp said:

After 6 months with this car, I am reasonably happy with the Infotainment system. It is very simple & dated but it does work well.

Most importantly, my wife likes the SatNav. So no moaning there.

Still, It would have been nice if Lexus allowed Android/Apple Auto

I don't get many DAB stations either. SOmetimes they fade out in certain areas. 

Reading through this thread again, a few things strike me.

First, satisfaction with any feature in a new car will be based on previous experience. If you've had a system that you loved and found easy previously there will always be a period of adjustment to a new set-up. One user's 'dated' is another user's 'modern.' My previous Honda navigation system - even though the car was a 2015 model - dated back to 2008 when the 8th Generation Accord was launched. If you think the Lexus standard system is dated, then don't ever go and look at that! 

Second, expectation plays a huge part. 

Third comes personal preference and the likely user base. Honda replaced their trusty 'old' 2D system with a Garmin based system called 'Connect.' Many of their loyal customers didn't want apps, or a touchscreen, or a 3D navigation system (me included). For the next generation of CR-V in 2018 they are believed to be going back to a more simple system as that is what their customer base values. Personally I don't like over complicated systems. I found the BMW i-Drive system a total nightmare. I just want simple, reliable and effective, and hopefully the Lexus system will deliver that for me. Mind you, I don't use internet banking preferring cheques for most things and I still use CDs and even cassettes most of the time at home on my old faithful Marantz/B&W separates system...

I think a lot of people these days are 'fooled' into thinking that they need the latest system, whereas in reality there are a huge number of features that the majority will never use. Many of those people then convince themselves that they needed or valued that functionality. Nobody has yet been able to convince me - really convince me - why an Iphone 7 or 8 would actually improve my experience when compared to my Iphone 4 for example. Maybe it's just me...:wacko:

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, First_Lexus said:

So far I can't work out the DAB as it doesn't seem to find many stations. As far as I can tell it is only looking at one receiver where the Honda gave loads of options. How to I find those? I didn't get a separate navigation manual either - should I have done?

When I got to drive a CT for a week while my RX was in the bodyshop, I got frustrated with the DAB only finding a handful of stations. I tried to retune it several times from home, but it would not even pick up the BBC stations. However, I tried retuning the DAB from work, 40 miles away, and it then picked up a whole host of different stations and "ensembles" including the BBC ones. I was expecting to "loose" these additional stations when driving back home, but they remained available, without a drop in sound quality.

I would therefore suggest that you try and retune from different locations

• Like 1