Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h 2008 Internal leak?

I have a pristine 2008 RX400H.

Its my first lexus and its immaculate. not a dent or scratch and only done 28,000 from new. 

Today on a particularly rainy day i got in, and noticed dripping down the drivers side A-Frame. Strangely it seemed to come from the sun visor, down the A-Frame and into the recess just above the air vent. But the Sun Visor isn't particularly damp. 

The floor doesn't seem to be wet, so I'm wondering if it was just a pool of water somewhere and entered the car when opening the door in the rain. Just wondered if anyone else has any ideas as I'm totally useless with anything mechanical. 

Cheers

Carl.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Also, I'm noticing swishing water sounds from what seems to be above my head behind me towards the back of the sunroof, but "inside" the car... theres no leaks elsewhere from what I can see, but I'm wondering if theres some kind of drainage thats blocked somewhere (the car was standing at an airport for two weeks recently). 

Anyone have any ideas that would be great

Ah, I'd start looking around that first then. A quick Google search pulled up a few potentially useful posts for you e.g.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/105130-sunroof-front-drains-blocked-rx300-2005/

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/96632-rx400h-sunroof-drain-holes/

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/75730-rain-water-leaking-into-footwells/

Other threads online too if these aren't helpful.

Good luck tracking down and resolving the issue.

• Like 3

I would agree.   The sunroof must be your first stop.   Blocked drains here, I believe there are 4, will cause major problems.   But gently, gently, very easy to cause significant damage which will be expensive to rectify.

• Like 3

Few things I would check:

As already mentioned, the sunroof would be my initial thought. Also check the seals on the driver side door and make sure there's no water coming into the car from the top of the windscreen on the right side.

Might sound daft, but get a bottle/jug of water and carefully put water into the panel gaps and drip lines - may give you an idea of where the leak is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to be the sunroof drainage hoses as you guy suggested. 

Had it repaired at New Again in chelmsford UK, along with a cheeky detail while it was there. 

Not bad for a 2008 model me thinks..

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’ve water ingress and eliminating the ‘easier’ options. Chestermans comment:

On 2/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, chesterman said:

I would agree.   The sunroof must be your first stop.   Blocked drains here, I believe there are 4, will cause major problems.   But gently, gently, very easy to cause significant damage which will be expensive to rectify.

I’ve checked a schematic for the sunroof, found the front drain holes but not sure how I find the rear drain holes... sunroof in ‘tilt’? and can someone explain the ‘gently, gently’ comment... what must I not do!

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

Where is the water making an appearance?

I recall being a bit stumped by the rear drain holes on my 400h but it turned out to be the front ones that needed attention anyway. Have you tried anything yet? You need a thin but sturdy piece of wire. Wire coat hanger or somesuch. I used a length of solder wire. Just have a gentle wiggle down the front drains. If you do unblock something you'll suddenly see it drain onto the garage floor. Then just pour a bit of water in each front corner of the sunroof to check.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

When I was tackling a rear cabin leak on my RX I struggled to access the rear drains at the roof area (they seemed to be buried right at the back corners).

By removing the sidetrims in the boot I could find the other ends though.  Figured that would just have to do and cut them open to run the wire up the way instead and taped them back up securely afterwards.  Not exactly ideal but at least I could make sure they were clear.

As a sidenote, my leaks were the result of poorly constructed seams.  Well worth checking if you are experiencing any rear pillar ingress.

• Like 1

Apologies, I'm posting on a couple of relevant threads.

I've isolated the passenger side drain hole is blocked and my mechanic has the wheel arch cowl off to clear the 'exit' but he can't find where it comes out! I've read every post I can and believe it's a slit, rather than a hole with a drain pipe sticking out, but if anyone can tell us where exactly, I'd be most grateful!

No worries Ez, the pictures I took back at the time are lost by the looks of it but here's the parts diagram showing the one piece rear drain:

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/eu/2006/rx300-330-350/gsu35r-awagkw/3_521220_008_350W/body/6104_roof-panel-back-window-glass/3

The drains (ID number is 63249E) head down the rear D-pillars from the roof and exit the vehicle floor behind the rear wheel arches.  

As I had to take the boot floor trims out to dry it all (a puddle had formed in there) I was able to loosen off the two side trims around the wheel arches.  If you do this you can make sure the drains are connected to the floor correctly.

Your mechanic could probably just push the strimmer wire/solder wire up the drain from below the car.  Make sure he's prepared for a downpour just in case it unblocks.