Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First 'Enthusiastic' Drive in the RC300h

Sun shining, car cleaned (everyone knows a car drives better when freshly cleaned :yes: ) and the roads dry so took the opportunity to explore the RC's sporty side on my favourite test route, used many times in my AMG.

I have to say I'm very impressed 

Switching to Sport drive mode brings a much snappier throttle response and putting the gear selector into Sport gives a realistic manual change mode, enabling a sort of 'kick-down' in preparation for overtaking. The RC may be way down in power compared with my old CLS55 but I was still able to attack corners with gusto. The RC definitely handles better than the air-sprung CLS, exhibiting virtually zero body roll in the bends. The straights feel somewhat longer, obviously, with the reduced power but using the 'gears' gives a strong push in the back.

Switching to the Sports+ drive mode stiffens up the suspension considerably, steering is very direct and responsive but on some of the B roads is a little too hard, deflecting the car in bumpy corners.

I have to say the different drive and transmission modes do transform the car's character. Far more than other cars I've experienced. It's like having three cars in one. A smooth relaxed urban cruiser, a sporty, comfortable long distance tourer and a sporty A/B road warrior.

No, it won't out-pace the usual Merc, VW and BMW competition but hey, the RC looks waaay better at any speed, even parked 

Forgot to add, all this and I'm getting a real world 40mpg, what's not to like? :smile:

Edited by NemesisUK
Removed the now defunct PhotoBucket links, thanks PB for trashing 1000's of threads
  • Like 8

Peter, I'm surprised you've not put the RC fully through its paces before now.  I agree with everything you say, particularly as 

regards the car's marked personality changes according to the selected drive modes.  In fact, I'm constantly tempted to switch

around according to my own moods.  I seem to be getting slightly better fuel economy than you, having averaged 15.5km/l 

(=approx. 44mpg) over the first 6500km, with a noticeable recent improvement attributable to warmer weather.  I am also

looking forward to switching back to summer tyres, having been on winters after the first 500km.  I have yet to fully assess

the car's ability to perform on long motorway drives, though my experience of relatively short ones of 50km or so makes me

optimistic.  I have a drive of 1600km (of which 1100km autobahn) scheduled for June, and if I will be feeling as fresh and relaxed

at the end of it as I used to be in my IS300h I will be more than happy.

• Like 2

Weather and the fact I've only just completed 2000 miles is the reason for my late acquaintances with the RC'c sportier side. That said I've used Sport mode a lot on my extra urban drives, just not so enthusiastically. 

A couple of 200 mile trips has assured me of the car's touring abilities. 

I'm sure the mpg will increase as the engine loosens up and take better advantage of the hybrid system.

• Like 1

Very interesting to hear - write ups on the RC300h are relatively rare on this forum so thanks for sharing.

From my brief test drive it seemed to handle corners well although I only got it to maximum 50mph or so but the car did feel heavier than our IS but I guess that's to be expected considering the RC's Frankenstein chassis

Did you manage to still get 40mpg despite pushing on?

40mpg is the running average since I took delivery.

Instantaneous readings can be as low as 16mpg and at then when on electric, the maximum display reading of 60mpg.

No surprises really, the hybrid is more efficient around town, sub 30mph.

The car is very stable, even when close to it's electronically limited top speed..

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Good review to wet my appetite while I wait for delivery :cool:

Dealer has offered to lend me the demonstrator for a weekend trip while I await mine which I think is incredible customer service - way better than I saw from Land Rover even when buying Range Rover Sports :wallbash:

• Like 1

I have to agree that LR dealers have a lot to learn when it comes to customer service. As you know, I have got rid of my RRS now but last time I had it serviced, the car was delivered back with the vanilla leather seats dirty from mechanics greasy overalls. Lexus dealers also have better coffee (but the chairs in their showrooms are a bit weird). :wink3:

• Like 1

Hi Malcolm 

Great to see you're on here too - we could have a good moan about LR without fear of reprisals here :laugh:

One life - live it! How true - just don't live it in the dealers workshop :whistling:

On 5-3-2017 at 2:53 PM, rayaans said:

Very interesting to hear - write ups on the RC300h are relatively rare on this forum so thanks for sharing.

From my brief test drive it seemed to handle corners well although I only got it to maximum 50mph or so but the car did feel heavier than our IS but I guess that's to be expected considering the RC's Frankenstein chassis

Did you manage to still get 40mpg despite pushing on?

Hi Rayaans, what do you mean with the Frankenstein chassis? is it not thesame as the IS? 

47 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Hi Rayaans, what do you mean with the Frankenstein chassis? is it not thesame as the IS? 

It's a combination between IS-C and GS

Whatever it's heritage, the chassis is very stiff and coming from the CLS55 it certainly doesn't feel heavy. Quite nimble in fact. No, it's no sports car but still very "chuckable" :yes:

Oh, the running average mpg is now 46 :wink3:

Are there any RC owners coming from a 3rd gen IS?

Is there a difference in driving experience or does the RC feel similar to the IS?

Slower? More planted? Heavier feeling? Better or worse?

I have loved the Jaguar XK styling since 06 and the 0-60 was impressive but I just never fancied the fuel cost or more JLR woes 

The F type looks great but isn't a Grand Tourer anymore 

The RC looks and feels like a GT to me and that's why I ordered - I don't want a track car or to lose my clean licence so it ticks all the boxes for me I hope 

I only drove it for 24 hours but it felt great and is as quick as my 2013 Range Rover Sport and 2016 Discovery Sport were - it's definitely quicker than my phev :laugh:

I can't wait

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Are there any RC owners coming from a 3rd gen IS?

Is there a difference in driving experience or does the RC feel similar to the IS?

Slower? More planted? Heavier feeling? Better or worse?

I was given a MY2017 IS300h ("Luxury" spec, 18" rims, no Sport+ mode/AVS) as a courtesy car for a morning when I took my RC300h in

for its first service a couple of months ago.  The differences in the ride are noticeable in cornering, the RC having a flatter trajectory which

tends to encourage faster entry, and also in anything other than normal gradual braking when the IS, as it comes to a stop, tends, unlike

the RC, to perceptibly lower its nose as part of a slight lengthwise undulation.  This is something I had not noticed, or perhaps considered 

normal, in previous generations of the IS, and indeed, it would probably not be worth mentioning other than in a direct comparison between

suspensions such as this.  All in all, you pays your money and takes your choice.  Personally, I went for the RC because of its good looks

and my limited need for rear seats.  Both cars perform admirably with the IS having a slight edge in terms of comfort and the RC of stability.

Their ability to inspire pride and pleasure of ownership is pretty much equal.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2017 at 11:52 AM, Muddywheels said:

Hi Malcolm 

Great to see you're on here too - we could have a good moan about LR without fear of reprisals here :laugh:

One life - live it! How true - just don't live it in the dealers workshop :whistling:

Hi, am considering buying a fairly new (2016) RRS soon anything I should be concerned about? Not diching the Lexus, the RRS will just be an addition

1 hour ago, Fatts said:

Hi, am considering buying a fairly new (2016) RRS soon anything I should be concerned about? Not diching the Lexus, the RRS will just be an addition

Apologies to everyone else for going off topic but this is for Fatts :blush:

I owned 2010 (ex LR demo) and 2013 (brand new) RRS and had nothing but bother despite 8 previous trouble free LRs since 2000

I stupidly bought a 2016 Discovery Sport thinking my luck would change but it didn't and it was worse of the lot 

I used every LR dealer within 50 miles and was let down repeatedly by them all 

LR customer service is abysmal 

If you look on rrsport.co.uk you will see many people experiencing similar - one guy at moment is having nightmare on SVR RRS that cost him over £100k a month ago 

My experiences are posted there too if you care to browse 

You may be lucky if you bought approved used with warranty but I wouldn't keep it longer than warranty unless you have lots of savings - a friends owned from new chewed the turbos and engine just over 3 years old with flrsh and was asked for £12k to repair it 

I was a massive fan of JLR but no longer - last year in the Mitsubishi has been incredible after the previous 6 years hell with LR and looking forward to Lexus ownership - the buying experience alone has been 5* - I wouldn't give LR dealers 1* right now 

Sorry if this isn't easy to read but in 10 years on LR forums I've never seen so many unhappy owners - people who know me there were really shocked when I left the brand - everyone thought I'd be leaving this life in a LR hearse and buried in a LR too - hopefully not for some time though :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks Muddywheels for the comprehensive summary of your JLR experiences. Am being cautious though hence the car am looking at has just 2500 miles on the clock with balance of the manufacturer's warranty remaining until 2019.

if I do end up buying it am sure not to keep it beyond the warranty period. I do appreciate the in depth advice. 

You're welcome Fatts - hope you get a good one - there are some out there 👍 

Dutchie - I would of bought an RX last year if they offered phev but they didn't and the Outlander was an incredible deal - £8400 discount, 100 % capital allowance for my company, most of my journeys are within Battery range and currently paying £59 pm BIK 

However I've missed the buzz I used to get from the RRS and when I saw the RC loaner round at my friends had I had to try it and I was hooked 

I will have 2 totally different vehicles for the price of a RRS in September and no stress (hopefully) - what's not to like 

It's probably going to be an RX or NX for me when the Mitsubishi is ready for replacement which does everything I ask of it but just doesn't tick the luxury itch I need to scratch 

• Like 1

To be fair, I didn't have any major issues with my RRS (Dec 2013). However, I definitely wouldn't have one without a manufacturer's warranty as there are a lot of expensive bits to go wrong. The LR dealers are also very poor for such an expensive vehicle and really couldn't care less.

I changed because the cost to replace my 2013 model with an equivalent 2016 model was just too high given the realignment of the pricing which LR put in place.

• Like 1

Like you Malcolm my problems weren't major (except dropping 1st RRS off ramp during service) but considering how much I spent going from Freelanders to RRS and then the dealer experience I wasn't prepared to pay £80k for a new RRS with same spec as my 2 year old RRS that cost £60k new

I went for the Discovery Sport thinking £40k was enough to spend but the list of faults and continuing poor service didn't help so that was the end for me 

I fancy an i-pace but don't think I will be taking a chance again especially now LR and Jaguar dealers are being merged 

Nothing will change until sales slow down and at the moment there are more new customers than old customers leaving 

The experience buying the Mitsubishi and Lexus reminded me how I used to feel back in early 2000s when I went in a LR dealership but even better 

I felt like they were doing me a favour speaking to me on the last few LRs and even bought the Discovery Sport online to avoid dealers 

Apologies for going OT again :blush:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

Like you Malcolm my problems weren't major (except dropping 1st RRS off ramp during service) but considering how much I spent going from Freelanders to RRS and then the dealer experience I wasn't prepared to pay £80k for a new RRS with same spec as my 2 year old RRS that cost £60k new

I went for the Discovery Sport thinking £40k was enough to spend but the list of faults and continuing poor service didn't help so that was the end for me 

I fancy an i-pace but don't think I will be taking a chance again especially now LR and Jaguar dealers are being merged 

Nothing will change until sales slow down and at the moment there are more new customers than old customers leaving 

The experience buying the Mitsubishi and Lexus reminded me how I used to feel back in early 2000s when I went in a LR dealership but even better 

I felt like they were doing me a favour speaking to me on the last few LRs and even bought the Discovery Sport online to avoid dealers 

Apologies for going OT again :blush:

Ah mate you better not try an RX because the new one is simply beautiful to drive!

• Like 1

We sat in an RX in the showroom and it was really nice - felt like being back in a RRS level of vehicle 

Another reason I went for the Mitsubishi last year over a Lexus was the 5/8 years warranty vs 3/5 years on Lexus 

Now I've experienced Lexus dealership provided I have trouble free ownership and see good service like I said earlier good chance the Mitsubishi will be replaced by an NX or RX when I'm ready to change 

Talk about coincidence - Honest John just released article on reliability and RRS is no 1 in top 10 worst outside manufacturers warranty - 6 of them are JLR vehicles 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2017-07/ten-least-reliable-post-warranty-cars/

Pleased to see no Lexus featured :cool:

• Like 1

Funny all this talk about JLR i had a Discovery 3 for a while and then a Freelander 2 for six years which was a trouble free car and i think Land rovers most reliable vehicle.Then we were trying to replace it with a brand new last of the line Metropolis but couldn't at the time get one for love or money.But the dealers were no help whatsoever not even returning calls or trying to find us one.Thats when i popped into Lexus(october14)and saw the New NX just being rolled into the showroom and ordered one which we had for a year before getting the RX450H.I can agree that Lexus dealers(Coventry) have given excellent service and have gone beyond even bringing the RX to our house to Test drive.

My brother is out and out Land Rover and luckily for him knows every nut and bolt as he worked at solihull for many years as i did,but he does admit that Land Rover dealers could learn a lot from Lexus