Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d lag below 2500rpm

Newbie7064

Hie guys, I am a new member on this forum and I was hoping for some advice. I just bought a Lexus is220d 2007 with 120000miles on the clock. Had an opportunity to drive it around the trade seller's industrial estate before buying and noticed it had some turbo lag. I had been expecting this having read through some forums and I didn't think it was too bad. On the drive home it just got worse and worse to the point where I was getting worried about pulling away from junctions. The turbo does not kick in until 2500rpm and even then when I change to the next gear I'm having to wait again as the next gear has fallen on less than 2500.  Can someone tell me if this is normal? At what point is a healthy is220d's turbo supposed to kick in. I had a warranty with the car from RAC which said "repair value 500". Does this mean if anything needs fixing they will only pay no more than 500. I know all these are things I should have researched but I was so excited(Lexus has always been my dream car). Maybe if there is a problem I could return it to the trade dealer? Oh maybe you guys could kindly recommend a garage where I could get it checked out. Before anyone tells me, I know I have been an idiot today and haven't exercised due caution when buying this car. Thanks in advance for your advice. Ps apart from the lag I absolutely love everything about the car especially the interior 👌

There is slot of possible things that could cause an excessive lag.

Not an expert on 220d but know bits about diesels.

Could be an actuator on turbo, vacuum pump, vacuum hoses. Egr .....

I would go back to dealers to have it sorted. You have full right to do it before you throw money into the car.

I'm sorry to say bud but even a healthy is220d will suffer massive turbo lag. All turbo diesel cars have lag but nothing like the lexus. 

If your turbo is kicking in at 2500 rpm something is wrong. You should feel it boost around 1800 rpm.

I had exactly the same problem. I cleaned out my egr valve and instantly the problem was fixed.

It's a piece of cake to take it out and clean it yourself. 

Give it a try, you may be surprised. 

7 minutes ago, peachy said:

I'm sorry to say bud but even a healthy is220d will suffer massive turbo lag. All turbo diesel cars have lag but nothing like the lexus. 

If your turbo is kicking in at 2500 rpm something is wrong. You should feel it boost around 1800 rpm.

I had exactly the same problem. I cleaned out my egr valve and instantly the problem was fixed.

It's a piece of cake to take it out and clean it yourself. 

Give it a try, you may be surprised. 

Agree with the solution but he should go to dealers. If he will start to mess with the car they can void his warranty/rights.

Thanks Peachy and Wildpolish. I will have a look at some diy instructions on how to clean the egr. Hopefully that will sort it out.  I understand that diesels have some lag but before this I had a Vauxhall signum 2.2d and it the lag was nothing compared to the Lexus. I really should have gone for the is250 but insurance cost would not allow

• Like 1

I guarantee that if you clean your egr valve it will feel so much better.

I fitted a kn panel filter and used bp ultimate diesel and found this improved low end grunt but not massively. 

On 05/03/2017 at 0:14 AM, Miłosz said:

You need to make a remap and you will forget about turbo lag. Its software problem. I had the same problem.

Is there any risk associated with a remap? At what rpm does yours boost now after the remap. Thanks

If tuner is good , no risk. I made mine cuz serial engine soft is realy bad. I have full power between 2,5-3,5 rpm. Responsive to the accelerator pedal is much better. If you decide for remap, think about eliminate your potential problems : 5th injector , dpf , egr. After that you will have completly other car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links