Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will the IS300H become sought after?

With all the predictable noise regarding an inevitable diesel clampdown, I can't help but feel content that I bought a "luxury" hybrid at just the right time. I could see this coming last year so got rid of my tax free Volvo diesel for the Lexus, looks like it may be the best car buying decision I've made in a long while.

Do you think the normally overlooked IS300H could become the go-to vehicle for the German diesel saloon brigade and start commanding stronger resale values? Or just wishful thinking?

4 minutes ago, IS300Hdriver said:

With all the predictable noise regarding an inevitable diesel clampdown, I can't help but feel content that I bought a "luxury" hybrid at just the right time. I could see this coming last year so got rid of my tax free Volvo diesel for the Lexus, looks like it may be the best car buying decision I've made in a long while.

Do you think the normally overlooked IS300H could become the go-to vehicle for the German diesel saloon brigade and start commanding stronger resale values? Or just wishful thinking?

Probably wishful thinking and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, competitors are going to start coming out with hybrids/plug in hybrids and smaller displacement petrol engines but also, buyers don't seem to be too concerned at the moment about diesel cars despite it being plastered all over the press. They still sell like hotcakes. 

Another issue is that they're beginning to ban them in major cities but not anywhere else so people in the north are still unlikely to get rid of their diesel car unless it becomes a national ban on diesel passenger vehicles.

• Like 1

Well this is partly why I chose the IS300h over the alternatives I was considering, which was mainly BMW 320d, in all honesty I was preferring the Lexus over the BMW anyway, but with more and more anti-diesel sentiments it made the choice easier.  I have taken quite a while to choose my new car, and there's very few cars out there that I like, in the future there may be something alternative to my Lexus, but so far I'm liking it a lot (only had it 2 weeks), it reminds me a lot of my Saab I had before my Honda CRV.

Vince

I agree with this it will be a very slow take up of people getting out of there diesel cars countrywide as it's a fuel that's been a hard sell by government and manufacturers pushing it just on the basis of co2 and look where it's got them.

Many members of the public would be seriously out of pocket if major changes we're brought about in haste, it has to be hybrid/ plug in hybrid or as above small capacity/ turbo charged petrol which have come on well in efficiency recently take the little 1litre jobbee that ford has it's pretty darn good, few problems with them but nothing fundamental.

After all Lexus came out with the comparatively recent 2.0T which I personally rate quite highly and think it's a good addition to the range albeit takeup  seems to be a little slow, no doubt more knowledgeable on here may correct me on this.

Mrs Rats car will be changed in the next year or so and a NX Petrol Turbo has an appeal for us.

We are an all petrol family except my vans but that for the foreseeable future is unavoidable, do not like diesel cars personally only ever had large engine ones BMW 535D and suchlike just not my cup of tea.

Big Rat

Car manufacturers will carry continue to push customers to diesels, they've invested too much in R&D to just give up on them. But the writing is on the wall for diesel passenger cars, once this current generation of engines need replacing I cannot see any big manufacturers pumping money into diesels.

Its unlikely to affect IS300H residuals but I guess the market will determine that. 

I highly doubt it since people rarely deviate from the brands they know and are comfortable with. Even if they get advice, they probably get it from some friend who has a very comparable brand knowledge. 

5 hours ago, IS300Hdriver said:

lets hope the Audi / Bmw driver stay loyal to their brand so the idiots dont tarnish the reputation of the lexus driver.

i havent been cut up by a lexus driver but by loads of Audi & Bmw drivers.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2017 at 7:56 PM, steveledzep said:

The direction indicators on Audis and BMWs are intermittent at best in my experience :biggrin:.

@steveledzep Actually I think you find on both marques it's a delete option frequently ticked 😂

Big Rat

• Like 2

I would say wishful thinking as well... I believe that hybrids won't replace diesels for high miles company cars. Diesel still makes much more sense if one does 30k miles a year on motorway.

What it will do, it will decrease numbers of "wanabe savers" - people who don't need diesels because they don't do high miles or are local divers, but bought them believing it will be more fuel efficient (cheaper) or have been misguided by dealers or advertisement claiming astronomical combined MPG (it is not unusual to claim 70-80MPG for ex-urban nowadays, which makes combined like 55). It would help even more if harder bans would take place i.e. complete ban of diesel cars in city centers (including public transport and taxis). That said even if there is going to be major move to hybrids .. it more likely to be even more Prius'es 

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@steveledzep Actually I think you find on both marques it's a delete option frequently ticked 😂

Big Rat

I believe a well known car magazine have received reports of a BMW scandal from owners

It appears they've fitted software to prevent the indicators from working after run in period. 

All vehicles 1920 onwards are affected. This is the biggest scandal in automobile history, surpassing VW's emission scandal last year

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

I believe a well known car magazine have received reports of a BMW scandal from owners

It appears they've fitted software to prevent the indicators from working after run in period. 

All vehicles 1920 onwards are affected. This is the biggest scandal in automobile history, surpassing VW's emission scandal last year

@rayaans I think this pic adequately represents how most of us feel 😂IMG_2473.JPG

• Like 4

I don't think that plate suits BMW's quite opposite that are anything but "the word on number plate" .... but you can easily find other names to call them.

The truth is that as @steveledzep said, it is the driver not cars.... when I used to own BMW I was indicating all the time (obviously unless that software glitch)... 

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, marrat said:

I highly doubt it since people rarely deviate from the brands they know and are comfortable with. Even if they get advice, they probably get it from some friend who has a very comparable brand knowledge. 

I agree, and with BMW, MB and Audi now all offering hybrids and/or full EVs, owners of these brands will be even less likely to move away from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly OT I know, but is there anyone who has driven for any length of time a 3rd generation IS250 and an IS300H, and preferred the latter other than for fuel economy and tax reasons? I usually get an IS300H as a loaner when my IS250 is in for servicing and, in my view, the sweet V6 and superb auto transmission beats hands down the hybrid drivechain of the IS300H.

Slightly OT I know, but is there anyone who has driven for any length of time a 3rd generation IS250 and an IS300H, and preferred the latter other than for fuel economy and tax reasons? I usually get an IS300H as a loaner when my IS250 is in for servicing and, in my view, the sweet V6 and superb auto transmission beats hands down the hybrid drivechain of the IS300H.

I had an IS250 for a fair few years and an IS300h for two years. I halved my petrol bill and loved the times I could just cruise along on pure electric. I wouldn't swap it back for the V6 although that's a great engine and transmission combo.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of my new IS300h Advance on 31st March.  I'm new to Lexus and will share my thoughts on the car in a proper post once I've driven it a bit more, but very happy in the main so far.  However, one of the main reasons for considering the car in the first place was the fact it was a Petrol Hybrid rather than Diesel due to uncertainty around tax on Diesels.  I'm now feeling pretty smug with the decision based on the news yesterday about Diesel taxes to drive into cities! :)  As the original post asks, I think it can only help the resale values of the IS300h, especially if a whole swathe of the used market is removed as a viable option (diesel equivalent BMW's, Audi's and Merc's).  That is unless the Mirai takes off and soon people only want Hydrogen cars!

• Like 2

On 05/03/2017 at 5:01 PM, Big Rat said:

it has to be hybrid/ plug in hybrid or as above small capacity/ turbo charged petrol which have come on well in efficiency recently take the little 1litre jobbee that ford has it's pretty darn good, few problems with them but nothing fundamental.

I understand there have been issues with the 1.2 litre turbo engines (Renault?) at around 40,000 miles. I would prefer a standard 1.6 engine, to these buzz bombs?

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I understand there have been issues with the 1.2 litre turbo engines (Renault?) at around 40,000 miles. I would prefer a standard 1.6 engine, to these buzz bombs?

The small engines are only good for "claimed" economy. Try to get anywhere quickly or at a high speed (70mph motorway trips) and the efficiency absolutely plummets