Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Windscreen Defogging Light stays on.

Hi All,

(as for RX400H 2008) (look at the attached photo please)

When the front windscreen defogging button is pressed it works normal. But  when OFF button pressed while the defogging is working windscreen defogging stops but light stays on. If I press the Front button again light still stays ON but defogging dont  start. Only way to turn it off the light is to press Auto button. Why is that? What should look at? 

Regards

DG

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm not sure its faulty.

Climate control is really meant to be on all the time. You simply set the temperature you want in the cabin and the system mixes hot/cold/AC to maintain that temperature. This is a good thing because the refridgerant gas contains oil that lubricates the seals. If the AC is turned off for extended periods of time the seals can become brittle and allow refridgerant to escape, which a) can cause damage to the AC system and b) can be expensive to re-gas.

The way mine works (RX300) is that I have the temperature set and the 'AUTO' button pressed (green light on). If I need to defog the front windscreen I press the 'FRONT' button, which lights up yellow and the green 'AUTO' light goes off.

When the screen is clear, I press the 'FRONT' switch again, the yellow light goes off and the green 'AUTO' light comes back on and the system looks after itself again.

Not sure if that helps you, but I never touch the 'OFF' button at all.

• Like 1

Hmm, just re-read your post again and, if I'm reading it correctly, I think you're getting a bit confused with the switches and what they do - maybe :whistling:

The 'FRONT' defogger switch is pressed once to turn on, then pressed again to turn off. The switch with the word 'OFF' written on it is for the fan, and not really anything to do with the 'FRONT' button per se.

The 'FRONT' button will move a flap somewhere to divert the air onto the screen, when the fan is blowing air. If the 'OFF' button is pressed there will be no airflow, but if the yellow light is still lit on the 'FRONT' button, that's just indicating that the flap is in position to divert air to the screen when the fan is turned on.

• Like 2

It does make sense when you guys explained what the buttons for.  But not sure pressed the Front button again to turn it off works.  will test the buttons again.  

Also I asked in a different post, every time I press the  Front button  Or Auto button to switch them ON (While both of them are OFF) it makes a loooong beep then 2 short beep.

Ive checked it on different RX400H and that car doesn't make that beeps.

4 minutes ago, GUNGAABAYAR said:

Also I asked in a different post, every time I press the  Front button  Or Auto button to switch them ON (While both of them are OFF) it makes a loooong beep then 2 short beep.

Ive checked it on different RX400H and that car doesn't make that beeps.

Sorry, definitely don't know what's going on there  :wacko:

11 minutes ago, GUNGAABAYAR said:

these beeps  are  heard every time to turn Front and Auto ON, but no warning light on the dash. 

listen to the attached sound pls.

Ac.m4a

Sorry Dagva, I've listened and I see what you mean, but I have no idea what the beeps mean.

Ive just noticed there is small black button sticked next to the mirror buttons. It is blinking red light when the loooong beep is heard. See the photo and short video pls. 

Seems like this button is sticked there by the prev owner. Made a hole on the base and small narrow  electric cable goes back to the panel. What is the button for? That button seems make that beeps. Strange,

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7708.MOV

That is the exact position where I have my LPG fuel guage, but that doesn't look like an LPG fuel guage and you've never said that you have LPG, so it can't be that. I have no idea what it is or what it's for, so the only thing I could suggest is to contact the previous owner and ask them what it is.

You'll find their name and address on your V5C document (logbook) so from that you can hopefully find a phone number for them, or at the very least you could write to them.

When we bought our RX300, the previous owner had not erased the phonebook entries from the car so the V5C told me that the previous owner's name was 'Mr. Philip xxxxx' and there was a mobile phone number listed under 'Phil' in the phone book so I just rang that (hoping that it was indeed the correct Phil) and ended up having a good natter with the guy about the history of the car and why he sold it etc., etc.

7 hours ago, sorcerer said:

That is the exact position where I have my LPG fuel guage, but that doesn't look like an LPG fuel guage and you've never said that you have LPG, so it can't be that. I have no idea what it is or what it's for, so the only thing I could suggest is to contact the previous owner and ask them what it is.

You'll find their name and address on your V5C document (logbook) so from that you can hopefully find a phone number for them, or at the very least you could write to them.

When we bought our RX300, the previous owner had not erased the phonebook entries from the car so the V5C told me that the previous owner's name was 'Mr. Philip xxxxx' and there was a mobile phone number listed under 'Phil' in the phone book so I just rang that (hoping that it was indeed the correct Phil) and ended up having a good natter with the guy about the history of the car and why he sold it etc., etc.

Thanks for your reply

it is not LPG. It is Petrol Hybrid.

I got seller's number but he dont tell me too much. I should have seller's prev owner's number who hopefully tell me what is the button for?

I deleted all contacts in phonebook so too late to get prev-prev owners number.

After purchasing this car when I do little bit and bobs job on that car and found out long loose black cable was just behind the little black button. But I can not trace it down, Also the OBD socket was lose as welljust beneath the little button. So definitely this black little button has been added by an owner.recently.

43 minutes ago, GUNGAABAYAR said:

I got seller's number but he dont tell me too much. I should have seller's prev owner's number who hopefully tell me what is the button for?

Was the seller a dealer or did you buy it privately?

If you bought it from a dealer then it's not surprising that they can't tell you what the button is for. You need to talk to the person who owned it before they sold it to the dealer - hopefully the person named on the V5C.

If on the other hand, you bought it privately from the person named on the V5C but they are also saying that they don't know what it's for or who installed it, then you'll need to go further back to whoever had it before they got it.

You can ask the DVLA for information about previous owners if you have a good reason but I'm not sure this question falls into that category. If you have any service history with the car, have a look for names and addresses on previous MOTs or any bills or receipts for repairs etc.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

I knew I had seen this same button in a previous thread, so I did a few searches  and finally found the thread in question. Take a look at this:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/92606-mysterious-button-near-gear-shifter/#comment-882632

post-50419-0-25066600-1407794188_thumb.jpg

That is exactly same button. My one beeps everytime I start heatings  usng FRONT or AUTO button.

SORTED.

0-02-04-9725f7eeae1e9e636cc9ed3009a8259e9fa56c84f9faf6ed31a71e5a4e3118ac_full.jpgif you see these  round holes on your bumpers then your car had pariking sensors installed!!!

I managed to find what is the small black push-button for.

Previous owner installed Electronic Parking System (FBSN-4FD) on this car. It had been  installed under the panel just  next to gas pedal.  Whole set includes 8 sensors (4 in front bumper, 4 on rear), main control unit (the one attached ), front cable harness, small black push-button and the speaker which beeps the annoying sound. 

After switching the  ignition ON  If one of the sensor fails then the speaker makes loooong beep  plus a short beeps. if 2 sensors fail to work  then speaker makes looong beep plus 2 short beeps something like that. Apparently my car has 2 failed sensors. The parking sensor never work  if one of the sensors is not working. I didn't bother to change or clean the sensor , just take out  the fuse which was between ignition and the parking sensor control unit. I never heard that beep again. 

As for the black push button with red LED, It is to stop the beeps temporary  if speaker keep beeping   because of some obstacles too close or some other reason.

BUT in my car why that looong beep and 2 short ones are  heard after pressing heater's FRONT or AUTO button.  Thinking the 12VOLT power  connected to the Parking Sensor Main Unit just after the point where  FRONT and AUTO button gets power. Instead it should get power just after switching ignition ON. Probably wrong cable connection.

DG        

See the pdf manual of the parking sensor kit attached

0-02-04-4e3de8ea85283a6b6e74b50be3950fd1fe0dc1cf5389fa1852a7dceb25afbd68_full.jpg

0-02-04-863c227e94dab2cf001856687387e8ba69f523e4318a53d01c3122bcaaca961a_full.jpg

0-02-04-73ec0a11aae075b50edcf9398927664744934cd1323b48c5caffa9bb46c09eba_full.jpg

FBSN-4FD.pdf

• Like 3