Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Conversion?

mep

Hi.  I have moved to France with work. Do I need to change my HID headlights?

This I found on one post........ But then this guy is driving a RX 350. Is it the same for my 220d?

See below for answer from Lexus UK. There is no need to do anything.

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be
converted for travel on the continent. The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal
flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting
System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive

That is exactly what it says if you have HID it has flat beam, so EU and UK models have identical headlights and therefore you don't need to convert anything. Same applies to any Lexus (and probably other makes) with HID so you should be fine with IS220d. There are other treads covering IS300h, IS250 and IS250C, I am sure IS220d is identical to petrol cars.

I would suggest that the information from Lexus UK above is incorrect and that your headlamps will probably be a nuisance to other drivers. The beam pattern isn't completely flat. Its raised on one side to illuminate the nearside kerb, roadsigns, pedestrians etc more clearly.

RHD Beam pattern:

80-rhd_5cf87e9e3edd03d9723df3a5e18e62dc7

LHD Beam Pattern:

80-lhd_92b0ecaab4d434322ee8136f50a79ce0e

On some vehicles its possible to switch the lights into "tourist" mode and reverse the cutoff, but not on the IS.

Strictly speaking, you are looking at a new set of headlights if you want to be completely legal. You might get away with doing nothing for a short trip (holiday), but if I was residing in a foreign country on a permanent basis with RHD headlamps, I'd be very surprised if I didn't attract the attention of the Police at some point, and I certainly wouldn't expect to pass an MOT.

Hi and thank you.

Perhaps we can get someone from Lexus to comment just as I attached a Lexus Customer Service comment in  the original post.

5 hours ago, J Henderson said:

The beam pattern isn't completely flat.

Well.. that is what considered "flat" and legal to drive without stickers or conversion:

DOT-vs-ECE.jpg

To be honest, I can hardly tell where my lights join on the wall and don't have such distinctive difference side to side. As well that is what Lexus was saying all along regarding HID's. My ones looks identical to these (even though picture is from Infinity Q45), I have 2 slight dips, but otherwise it is completely flat:

16749beam.jpg

That said you will be completely legal one way or another, whenever you would dazzle other drivers is different question (I believe not). As well I just did trip to EU for 3000 miles and nobody have blinked me high high beam - which is good sign... considering that people always do that if you dazzle them even slightest. 

Sorry but you won't find any lexus agents here but you don't need to worry because you can drive your car in France with no problems or adjustment needed.

Sorry to be argumentative but my first posting on this subject came about because I found a response from a Lexus Customer Care agent communicating with a RX 350 owner.

So clearly Lexus agents do read these posts and respond.

1 hour ago, mep said:

Sorry to be argumentative but my first posting on this subject came about because I found a response from a Lexus Customer Care agent communicating with a RX 350 owner.

So clearly Lexus agents do read these posts and respond.

No. That was copy/paste from e-mail. What you need to do to be completely sure is to e-mail or mail Lexus, but again the response you get is 100% same as for RX: