Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS220 start button won't turn green help

Hello I am a new member who is pulling my hair out what little I have left, I have a Lexus IS220d that will not start, it says on the dash depress the clutch pedal, I have checked the switch at the back of the pedal and it is working, I have checked the wires going into this and have a voltage been fed to the switch, the light on the start button still stays red any help appreciated has have been scratching my head and that of 2 of my car oriented friends 

thanks in advance there has to be a Lexus genius here that knows the answer 

Key fob ok and opening car car will perform checks and everything ok I can start the engine by bypassing the start procedure so not an immobiliser fault any ideas please 

Sorry, I am a little confused.  When you press the clutch down, is it still saying 'Press clutch', or does that message disappear, but the button still stays red?

Sorry with clutch pressed it still say press the clutch that is why I tested the switch and the power to it, both are working totally baffling me as power goes to switch and switch working even pressed it with my fingers to make sure it wasn't that the pedal was not reaching to the button 

Either way button stays red

• 3 years later...

The light on the button doesn't come on at all. I press the clutch down as far as it will go numerous times but I still dont get any light at all.  I have pressed the Lexus logo on the key fob to the button but still get no response. I hace changed both batteries in both remotes but get nothing.  I can still lock/unlock car and operate the boot with the remote so I am really stuck.. 

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

Im having the same problem 0n my 08 is220D. new batteries in the fobs, car Battery checked out and ok, fobs will lock and unlock the car, contactless unlocking works, electric seats still move, but ignition switch will not show any lights, neither red nor greeen.  any suggestions greatly accpeted and thanked.

other than the EGR valve being a royal pain, its been a great car - even though Toyota / Lexus would rather forget the Diesel ever existed.

Dave.

Hi David,

Apologies for stating the obvious but if the switch doesn't show any lights, have you checked to see if it is working properly?

If you are handy with a multimeter then you can try the following:

image.thumb.png.afb3db26ae98e059afd5c7c9a7e4bf10.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

latest update. I eventually found an auto electrician prepared to tangle with a Lexus. he came, scratched his head, said the news is ''all the usual culprits seem ok'' great new 😞 so it must be something complicated. then christmas got in the way. 

steering lock is engaged, found a tow truck guy who wanted to take a scaff bar to the steering lock! polietly told him to go away.

Auto electrician came back and had a way to jump something in the system which allowed him to at least get  a scan of the systems.

seems its something in the immobilser set up, so we;ve now ordered a an immobillliser system, quite  a few modules including stop start button (which tested ok though), which sadly comes with only one key. if it works i'll keep updating.

• 1 month later...

Hi. sorry for my tardines on this. heres teh latest update - the problem started with not starting,  first reaction was to jump start car - which worked a few times. then didnt. suspected parasitic batt drain, put batt on charge, car wouldnt start next day after full nights charge. took batt to be tested, Battery tested fine on 3 diff test machines - one at eurocar parts, two at Halfords (belt and braces theory) then wasted a long time on a waste of space autoelectrician who could write the book on excuses for not turning up etc etc (see earlier posts).

car would allow keyless entry but wouldnt show any ignition lights either on start button or dash panal.

then found a second electrician just after christmas (the guy i mentioned in above posts), he spent a fair few hours poking, probing, meter reading - still no sign off life from ignition, steering lock wouldnt release. 

this guy then jumped something across in one of the under  bonnet relay boxes (near side front) and got ignition on far enought to get a code reading - which indicated immobiliser fault.

ordered replacement immobilser kit - which includes steering column and loads of othe stuff.

elec then stripped out entire dash, head unit for audio (seriously heavy bit of kit that one) to get at the imobiliser unit, located right at the back of the dash, under the windscreen

at that point i had the car recovered from my house and over to his unit.

replacement immob units fittted, steering lock will now release and car will start up - but only runs for a few seconds. 

wiring checks out ok (he has now aquuired a toyota/ lexus scanner - but tbh im not sure if its a pro one, or like the after market, but good, Jeep ones available - but which lack the dealer level access).

seemingly all the codes indicate all is well (hence my question on acces level to memory) 

speaking to a VW guy today he said he has had similar issues on higher end Audis (presumably the ones whith indicators but no indicator control) and he reckons its a coding issue?

replacement immob system came with only one key, but that shouldnt be an issue in this matter?

Any help gratefully accepted.

• 1 month later...

latest up date.

got Lexus back from auto elec today, finaly fixed,

it needed a whole new immobilser system (second hand) which includes steering colum. the problem was initialy the sensor that lives right at the back of the dash, but it all had to be changed to mesh with the new sensor, then it blew the new sensor. cue hours spent by very good auto elec examing the wiring loom. turns out a connection had gone a 'bit bad' and damaged (burnt) a wire which then damaged again the control box..

fault now fixed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 7:35 PM, veryfedupbunny. said:

latest up date.

got Lexus back from auto elec today, finaly fixed,

it needed a whole new immobilser system (second hand) which includes steering colum. the problem was initialy the sensor that lives right at the back of the dash, but it all had to be changed to mesh with the new sensor, then it blew the new sensor. cue hours spent by very good auto elec examing the wiring loom. turns out a connection had gone a 'bit bad' and damaged (burnt) a wire which then damaged again the control box..

fault now fixed.

What a relief to have it fixed now 🙏🏼

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...