Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Following an MOT test and service, an advisory was flagged up as to the high degree of corrosion on the fuel pipe (filler pipe) the service engineer (Carlisle Lexus) called me through to the work shop to point out the extent of the corrosion, and to be honest I was a bit shocked ( no mention of the deterioration in the previous MOT) consequently I took my RX 450h 2010 to my other very trusted service garage for a second opinion, and to my shock he confirmed what Lexus had pointed out.

So my question is has any other member had occasion to replace corroded fuel filler pips? and the possible cost, and a car only 7 years old should show such corrosion.

Keith D

• Like 1

The fuel pipe filler neck is near the wheel arch somewhere - corrodes quite easily if the arches aren't washed properly, i.e. all the dirt and debris underneath causes it to corrode.

Never heard of it on an RX but 7 years sounds about right from looking at others cars with fuel pipe corrosion

Our 123k 02 got a rust advisory around the fuel filler pipe at the last mot and we've struggled to find even local independents showing an interest in sorting it. Car was used to tow a boat in the past so it's been in water and we're getting rust in the wheel arches now.

We've also asked around without succes for any garages that hire out a ramp or pit even outside of their normal hours so we can have a look - some garages have said they've been asked by a few people but no luck finding one so far.

47 minutes ago, sliderman said:

We've also asked around without succes for any garages that hire out a ramp or pit even outside of their normal hours so we can have a look - some garages have said they've been asked by a few people but no luck finding one so far.

That might be due to insurance limitations. Surprised no one want to look at it - I presume it must be difficult to access?

Yes I can understand about the insurance. In so far as access is concerned it's difficult to see what they're getting at. Our independent said it needed a wire brush, body suit, mask and a good few hours effort to get all the crud off - but didn't want to do it!

Had the exhaust rebuilt a few months ago and the bloke who did it said he'd seen far worse, as an 02 car it was excellent and the costs involved might be unjustified. Interestingly there's no sign of rust near the filler or in that panel at all.

Perhaps the choice of metal is to blame. Would have expected stainless steel.

Strangely I do not have this problem on my '06 RX350 but do have severe rust on my '04 LS430. Each summer I put the car up on a friendly local garage ramp and spray all the underside with ACF-50 with an extra dose on this pipe.

Not sure how much time this will buy me.

7 hours ago, GrahamG said:

Perhaps the choice of metal is to blame. Would have expected stainless steel.

Strangely I do not have this problem on my '06 RX350 but do have severe rust on my '04 LS430. Each summer I put the car up on a friendly local garage ramp and spray all the underside with ACF-50 with an extra dose on this pipe.

Not sure how much time this will buy me.

It is stainless steel. 

Stainless steel still corrodes in certain circumstances, especially if the Chromium Oxide layer is removed (by debris etc)

• Like 2

Does anyone know the answer to Silver Salmon's question i.e. how do you access it to clean it.  Presumably once cleaned a suitable protector e.g. Bilt Hamber would be the best means of preventing corrosion

3 hours ago, Glover said:

Does anyone know the answer to Silver Salmon's question i.e. how do you access it to clean it.  Presumably once cleaned a suitable protector e.g. Bilt Hamber would be the best means of preventing corrosion

Id presume the wheel arch lining would need removing to get to it, but before that, worth sticking your head underneath to make sure its not just dangling there

I'm not quite sure that I'm understanding this correctly. First of all, the OP says " the service engineer (Carlisle Lexus) called me through to the work shop to point out the extent of the corrosion, and to be honest I was a bit shocked" which implies that he saw the corrosion with his own eyes, which also implies that it's in an easy place to see/get to.

Then he goes on to say " I took my RX 450h 2010 to my other very trusted service garage for a second opinion, and to my shock he confirmed what Lexus had pointed out." which, if he needed a second opinion, may imply the exact opposite. So did he see it or not?

Underpinning all this is the fact that MOT inspectors are not allowed to remove things whilst carrying out the test. This is why you'll get an advisory on a rear seat belt if you have a baby seat installed, because they can't carry out the test on the belt without removing the baby seat and they aren't allowed to - which again points to the corrosion being in an easily visible and accessible place.

• Like 1

I can't believe mechanics would randomly remove wheel archlinings on the offchance, I shall investigate when the weather gets a bit warmer, too damn cold upo here for that kind of nonsense!

Just to add,it seems that some mot testers seem to add meaningless and unwarranted advisories just for the sake of it for example "underneath of car corroded" .

4 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I'm not quite sure that I'm understanding this correctly. First of all, the OP says " the service engineer (Carlisle Lexus) called me through to the work shop to point out the extent of the corrosion, and to be honest I was a bit shocked" which implies that he saw the corrosion with his own eyes, which also implies that it's in an easy place to see/get to.

Then he goes on to say " I took my RX 450h 2010 to my other very trusted service garage for a second opinion, and to my shock he confirmed what Lexus had pointed out." which, if he needed a second opinion, may imply the exact opposite. So did he see it or not?

Underpinning all this is the fact that MOT inspectors are not allowed to remove things whilst carrying out the test. This is why you'll get an advisory on a rear seat belt if you have a baby seat installed, because they can't carry out the test on the belt without removing the baby seat and they aren't allowed to - which again points to the corrosion being in an easily visible and accessible place.

Thats a good point. 

However, OP said its also been in for a service where they would check other things not covered by the MOT. With no mention of the fuel pipe filler being noted on the MOT, Id presume they've seen it upon service from underneath the car rather than from the wheel arch itself. 

4 hours ago, scudney said:

Just to add,it seems that some mot testers seem to add meaningless and unwarranted advisories just for the sake of it for example "underneath of car corroded" .

Yes, they also add things like "undertray fitted obscuring view" or something like that - covers their back apparently if they miss anything

• Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, SLACKBLADDER said:

Tell us how much it costs please 

they quoted me £800 to replace it, glad i'm not paying as the garage I got the car from are stumping the bill. got a quote from motor hog for £45 + vat 3 days ago so its seems like a bargain.

3 minutes ago, granadaman said:

they quoted me £800 to replace it, glad i'm not paying as the garage I got the car from are stumping the bill. got a quote from motor hog for £45 + vat 3 days ago so its seems like a bargain.

What age is your RX450h out of interest?