Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Those anti-perforation warranties generally only cover the vehicle body.   'Bolt-on' parts like a filler neck would fall into the standard mechanical cover.

Alarming all the same though, a clear downside of cheaper metals being used most likely.

Being near the coast would certainly explain it. 

Mine is only 2 years older, has absolutely nothing gone wrong with it - no advisories on MOT and servicing hasn't picked anything up either. 

Havent even changed the brakes yet - still on 40% after 44k miles!

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

That says a lot to me about your driving style - very impressive. You obviously don't drive on your brakes.

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That says a lot to me about your driving style - very impressive. You obviously don't drive on your brakes.

I think its the car TBH - its using regenerative brakes most of the time when slowing down and only uses the mechanical brakes for the last 2 seconds or so before coming to a stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I think its the car TBH - its using regenerative brakes most of the time when slowing down and only uses the mechanical brakes for the last 2 seconds or so before coming to a stop. 

Yes of course! I had forgottedn about the regenerative braking. I find automatics seem to have little engine braking unless you go down to 2 or below. 

I wonder how people in the Alps go downhill without over-heating the brakes. I friend, admittedly towing a heavy trailer, burnt out the brakes on his Volvo 245 coming down some pass. He braked gently all the way - which is not recommended.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments, the quote from Lexus of £800 and then one for £45  from a indipendent says a lot.

I would appreciate any advice as to a workshop in the north ( Lancaster area) that would do the fuel filler pipe job.

On 15 March 2017 at 9:07 AM, sorcerer said:

I'm not quite sure that I'm understanding this correctly. First of all, the OP says " the service engineer (Carlisle Lexus) called me through to the work shop to point out the extent of the corrosion, and to be honest I was a bit shocked" which implies that he saw the corrosion with his own eyes, which also implies that it's in an easy place to see/get to.

Then he goes on to say " I took my RX 450h 2010 to my other very trusted service garage for a second opinion, and to my shock he confirmed what Lexus had pointed out." which, if he needed a second opinion, may imply the exact opposite. So did he see it or not?

Underpinning all this is the fact that MOT inspectors are not allowed to remove things whilst carrying out the test. This is why you'll get an advisory on a rear seat belt if you have a baby seat installed, because they can't carry out the test on the belt without removing the baby seat and they aren't allowed to - which again points to the corrosion being in an easily visible and accessible place.

Thanks for your informed reply sorcerer, just to clarify on the previous MOT no mention of any fuel pipe rust issues and no advisories. At the latest MOT and service the car did fail on rear break pipes in a very short section as they meet the calepers, less than approx 3 inches due to them not having the plastic coating that covers most if not all the lenghth of pipe, that issue was attended to at a cost of £150 + vat before I drove the car home. Gaining a second opinion my trusted garage did say that the other advisors were a bit harsh ( bushes and discs) might  need attention at next MOT.

I did see the rust and to be fair it did seem quite bad, I wish I had taken a photo! I have sent a email to Lexus asking for a quote for replacement of the filler pipe ( some 8 days ago ) but no response as yet.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 1:31 PM, granadaman said:

mines on a 10 plate in lexus now having mine replaced it was really corroded.

Seems we have the same problem, could you recommend the dealer ? and do you have an estimate of the cost ? I need to get mine sorted.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:33 PM, rayaans said:

Being near the coast would certainly explain it. 

Mine is only 2 years older, has absolutely nothing gone wrong with it - no advisories on MOT and servicing hasn't picked anything up either. 

This is not so unusual with the Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars. My Prius had 128,000 miles on the clock when I sold it still on the original pads all round with more than 50% of the pads left. Stories from the US forums often quote 250,000 plus miles on a set of pads for the Prius so much the same should be expected from say the CT200H.

John

10 hours ago, Keith D said:

Seems we have the same problem, could you recommend the dealer ? and do you have an estimate of the cost ? I need to get mine sorted.

Is there an easy way to check. I bought my 2010 RX in December with a1 year full lexus warranty. Wonder if they would cover that? Think I'll spring for the addtional two years for £900 odds. 

I bought a 2003 RX300 in December. I have just spent £1100 on the first service and MOT. The fuel lines leading up to the filler were replaced as they leaked when the tank was filled. The cost of the parts from Lexus, I had this done by my local garage who are very good, was £220 +VAT. Their comment on the MOT inspection was rust at the front and rear subframes. The shield that covers the fuel tank is also rusted through- not what I'm used to with Lexus. I have a 2000 GS with no rust at all and traded in a 2006 IS250 which hadn't a hint of rust. I would suggest that if you are contemplating buying an RX you take a look underneath. Previous MOT's had no advisories, but in addition to the above the handbrake shoes and the rear discs needed replacing. If the previous MOT's were done properly this all should have been advised or failed. Main body is almost flawless and everything else is fine so I'm still a fan!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, William F said:

I bought a 2003 RX300 in December. I have just spent £1100 on the first service and MOT. The fuel lines leading up to the filler were replaced as they leaked when the tank was filled. The cost of the parts from Lexus, I had this done by my local garage who are very good, was £220 +VAT. Their comment on the MOT inspection was rust at the front and rear subframes. The shield that covers the fuel tank is also rusted through- not what I'm used to with Lexus. I have a 2000 GS with no rust at all and traded in a 2006 IS250 which hadn't a hint of rust. I would suggest that if you are contemplating buying an RX you take a look underneath. Previous MOT's had no advisories, but in addition to the above the handbrake shoes and the rear discs needed replacing. If the previous MOT's were done properly this all should have been advised or failed. Main body is almost flawless and everything else is fine so I'm still a fan!

At the end of the day it is a 14 year old car and buying it now, you have no idea how often its been washed or sealed underneath etc so there's bound to be rust somewhere or other! Having said that, if the body is fine thats awesome! Take a 14 year old Merc or BMW and you may find that the arches no longer exist!

• Like 5

Our 02 123k 300 continues to excel, but at the mot in June rust around filler pipe came up. No other advisories.

Since then it's been up in the air twice for a custom exhaust repair, the first for an emergency quick fix and the second for a proper solution, and each time the garages have been "dismissive" of the mot comments.

We do have visible rust coming through on the back edge of the offside front wing and it's galloping for sure. Can't get at it without taking the liners apart.

The only other place it's visible, and I kid ye not visibility wise, is an area on the tailgate just beneath the handle! Not really sure why there!

There's no external sign of rust on the ns rear wing at all or around the filler flap - but rust got mentioned there in the 2016 mot. 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

At the end of the day it is a 14 year old car and buying it now, you have no idea how often its been washed or sealed underneath etc so there's bound to be rust somewhere or other! Having said that, if the body is fine thats awesome! Take a 14 year old Merc or BMW and you may find that the arches no longer exist!

Hi, Yes I am still a fan of the RX Range. And I have now got a quote from Lexus for the fuel filler pipe rust issue of £561.will probably book the car in for the work to be done, pity its not a recall issue as with some other models in the Lexus range.

Then it will be onto Silk Mil Garage Galgate for a full under body hot power wash and wax oil.

• Like 1

Two no no's generally when I'm buying is cars from further up north, particularly Scotland (no offence guys!) and cars from the cost. No matter what they are.

Learn't from bitter experience previously. Car from Scotland was very new but absolutely covered in rust underneath. 

My theory is it's colder, higher and snows/ices more along with being generally wetter so that combined with more salt used on the roads due to lower avg winter temps.

The coast for the same reason but from sea air as someone mentioned.

Sorry - recognise that doesn't help anyone!

Had a look under mine at the weekend whilst it was dry and sunny.  The whole of the arch has got a liner so I'm not sure how the MoT inspector would see the filler end although I assume (although I haven't looked yet) they would be able to see the end of the filler where it enters the tank.  Unless the rust is on the short section of pipe inside the fuel filler flap area but that seems the least likely place as it's very well protected by the flap and the surrounding metalwork.  Was I looking in the right place or has the area covered by the liners increased on later models (I have a 2012 pre facelift).

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  I'd love to know if I've done this right.  I looked under the rear wing in the location of the filler pipe and it's hidden by the liner.  Am I looking in the right place?

Short answer is no, my car was up on the ramps so you would need to get your car off the ground or in a pit. The pipe is rather exposed to the elements. I have mine booked in for replacement at a cost of £561 . Pity it's not a re call as with other models 

So where exactly is it.  My car is going in to an independent I've used for years before its MoT at the Local Authority.  I don't usually ask them to do a pre MoT but if I know where to tell them to look I'm sure they'll check it for me.

This should be the correct Lexus part number for the filler pipe 77201-48250 unfortunately there is no price provided on Toyodiy but Amayama lists them at £72.00 plus shipping from Japan.

Hi Glover,

cant give you an exact location until you are under the car, but from memory the pipe runs from the filler area through the rear subframe and onto the fuel tank. My local trusted service station did not want to undertake the work as they suggested that the sub frame might have to be lowered or removed for the re fitting. Might have more information when I have the work done on the 21st April, I will ask for the removed offending part, and hope it is worth the £500+ cost.

Keith D

• Like 1

Hi Keith

Thanks.  It will be useful to know where it is rusting; if mine hasn't started I'll do some preventative work.  If it has then as it's still in warranty I'll ask if it's covered by that.  Really surprised that this is happening; the last car I remember having a hole anywhere in the fuel system was an L reg Morris Marina TC many, many years ago!  Rust protection had I hoped moved on since then.

Interesting if you can post a pic of the offending part too just to see how badly it's corroded.

Geoff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK so £600 was the final cost as the garage had to replace the breather pipe as well. I have enclosed the photo of the parts removed and given some of it a bit of a scrape, and most is just surface rust, but unless un checked I would expect the pipe could have rotted through.

image.jpeg

• Like 2