Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When did Lexus fit dpf filters to the is220d, confused newbie

Scouselexus

Hi all bought an is220d se-l two weeks ago. Heard all the horror stories about the engine. Caveat empor and all that wished did research first wondered why is220d are cheap to buy. Love the car though. In my manual there is no mention of a dpf filter, nothing about a warning light for it can't even see a symbol on dash lights for it. I went on net and found a snippet on honest John forum saying only fitted to 08 on is. My co2 is 168 g/km on the v5 the dpf is fitted on later cars to get the co2 g/km down to 163. Am I correct in thinking if your v5 states 168 no dpf if it states 163 it has one. Strange I know.

Only problem I have had so far is lots of white smoke when temp gauge reaches halfway, doesn't happen all the time just when engine reaches temp. Only lasts for short time then stops. All levels ok oil coolant etc been checking them nearly daily. No mayo on oil cap coolant pink as should be.

went for normal town drive today no smoke at all, need to get on the motorway for good run see what happens there. Could it be the fifth injector people have mentioned on the forum? Just really confused at the minute. Love the car hate the smoke don't see others throwing this much out. Next Lexus will be petrol lol. Thanks for reading.

Hello,

All Lexus is220d's have a DPF fitted.  There is no specific warning light for it because the car uses a generic light for all faults.  The engine management light will illuminate, and the centre display will say 'Check VSC' if a fault occurs.

Based on previous cases on here, it does sound like a 5th injector fault.  Might be worth checking with a dealer since it is possible it can be reprogrammed to cure the problem.

A good run on the motorway is a good idea, especially if all it has done is town driving for a while.  Between 15-20 minutes at around 2000-2200rpm should get the DPF nice and hot.

DPF's and EGR valves really are the bane of modern diesel cars, not just IS220d's.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the white smoke issue is down to the 5th injector as you've described the same symptoms I had.

Unfortunately good motorway runs won't solve the 5th injector/smoke issue but will help clear your dpf. 

I took mine into lexus and they corrected the 5th injector with some reprogramming of the ecu to stop it dumping fuel into the exhaust so often. 

Only took an hour and less than £200. Never seen any smoke what so ever afterwards.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. Bit of an update. Had a terraclean and egr clean done. Had the check vsc lite come on twice since done but have reset. When car gets up to temp halfway on gauge the smoke started. Today did it again but lasted approx 10 secs not minutes like before. Got on motorway today up to speed in 3rd revs 3.5k plus for bout 20min no smoke seen. Hope was last of crap being burned off.

car is 10yr old but will bite the bullet and get her to Lexus if problem persists. Thought it may be 5th injector. Still love the car even though only had her three weeks. Lovely drive on motorway don't realise speed you're going lol. Thanks Rebecca for feedback glad won't bankrupt me lol if it is that.

will definitely get another Lexus saving up for an is250 auto maybe gs if bank balance allows. What Lexus would you all get next?

7 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

Thanks for replies. Bit of an update. Had a terraclean and egr clean done. Had the check vsc lite come on twice since done but have reset. When car gets up to temp halfway on gauge the smoke started. Today did it again but lasted approx 10 secs not minutes like before. Got on motorway today up to speed in 3rd revs 3.5k plus for bout 20min no smoke seen. Hope was last of crap being burned off.

car is 10yr old but will bite the bullet and get her to Lexus if problem persists. Thought it may be 5th injector. Still love the car even though only had her three weeks. Lovely drive on motorway don't realise speed you're going lol. Thanks Rebecca for feedback glad won't bankrupt me lol if it is that.

will definitely get another Lexus saving up for an is250 auto maybe gs if bank balance allows. What Lexus would you all get next?

IS250 auto is better - a few people have made the move to it and never looked back

I wouldn't remove the DPF anymore - before you could just remove it and be done with it

However, I think the government have caught on and are introducing a proper DPF check in the near future for MOT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

IS250 auto is better - a few people have made the move to it and never looked back

I wouldn't remove the DPF anymore - before you could just remove it and be done with it

However, I think the government have caught on and are introducing a proper DPF check in the near future for MOT

That is true, it is illegal and immoral practice and goverment has just recently cached-up with it. Even if not moral duty of preventing pollution you should consider penalty of removing it. Whereas removing can still be done fairly cheaply, being caught not having DPF will result in failed MOT and you won't pass it before re-fitting... which will be immensely expensive task. I believe there is no fine for the owner, but there were £1000 for garages caught first time "deleteing" DPFs

Considering all cons and pros. IS250AT works out cheaper and much more secure choice.

• 4 years later...
On 3/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Miłosz said:

DPF off and EGR off will be solution for your problem. I also had smoke, and it was terrible.

Personally I think that’s a bad idea and I would not recommend it, for any diesel car. It’s illegal and it will fail the MOT. Anyways who wants their Lexus looking like a tractor 😅

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links