Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Polishers

Hi

I'm looking at getting a mechanical car polisher, but the internet is awash with different makes, models, prices etc. All of which have varying reviews.

I was just wondering if anybody here could recommend one and/or share their experiences with using them?

Many Thanks

Thoroughly recommend the DAS Pro if you're meaning something to remove swirls etc.. Partener with Hexlogic pads and Meg's range of compounds

DAS6-PROb.jpg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Thoroughly recommend the DAS Pro if you're meaning something to remove swirls etc.. Partener with Hexlogic pads and Meg's range of compounds

DAS6-PROb.jpg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html

Agree with the above, however, for a beginner, a standard DAS6 will do the job. 

TBH I have both and I think the standard DAS6 is more than enough for Lexus paint - only wack the Pro out on harder, Germanic paint

• Like 1

My motor has very deep shine anyway. The previous owner took real nice care of it. No swirl marks (a few a scratches on the side, nothing overly significant...). Is it still still work getting a mechanical polisher...Just to polish, not cut the paint? Thanks

IMG_-2d1aku~2.jpg

You could use the DAS with a black hexlogic pad to apply the wax (more correctly polishing is using a cutting compound to remove imperfections, waxing is applying the top coat of wax to give gloss and protection) and then place a wool bonnet over the pad to buff to a shine. Expensive way to wax the car?

If you're happy applying the wax by hand, most modern waxes are easy on, easy off. You could buy a cheaper polisher from Halfords to buff off if doing it by hand is too much work?

Sealey Er230p Car Polisher 230mm 110w/230v

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/sealey-er230p-car-polisher-230mm-110w-230v

• Like 1

I have that^^^^. Fine for what I use it for, just buffing the car.

It made a good job of cutting the faded headlights on my sons Vectra.

Pays ya money........

• Like 1

I have the das6 pro too. Also have a Vertool 21e and more recently a Vertool force drive. All are great machines and have their own place in polishing. If you do select a DA polisher, try and get a selection of diff size backing plates and you should be good for most jobs.

• Like 1

If the car itself isn't too bad, you could just choose the cheat method and apply a filler heavy glaze - like Prima Amigo

And then seal it in with a wax/sealant.

• 1 month later...

My daughter bought me a 'Challenge Xtreme Dual Action Car Polisher' from Argos, which was very nice of her, but now I need the right pads to polish the car. My car does not need scratches removing, I just want to use it help me to polish the car once in a while. Anyone got any tips/suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2017 at 9:16 PM, Goggy said:

My daughter bought me a 'Challenge Xtreme Dual Action Car Polisher' from Argos, which was very nice of her, but now I need the right pads to polish the car. My car does not need scratches removing, I just want to use it help me to polish the car once in a while. Anyone got any tips/suggestions?

I use a medium polishing pad for something like Autoglym SRP - Lake country white pad

If you want it for wax then get a soft finishing pad - they're usually black

On 5/9/2017 at 3:00 PM, rayaans said:

I use a medium polishing pad for something like Autoglym SRP - Lake country white pad

If you want it for wax then get a soft finishing pad - they're usually black

Hi Rayaan

Read your detailed post on detailing and feel the itch to do my black IS. 

I have decided to clay the car then polish with hand (dont have machine) with Gtechniq P1 and then seal with Gtechniq C2 which is the quick spray and wipe thing. I have never done this before as you mention use Gtechniq if your experienced. Any advice?

Previously I used turtle wax black box - 

I have lots of swirl marks that I need to get rid of.

Thanks buddy!

2 hours ago, Ishaq said:

Hi Rayaan

Read your detailed post on detailing and feel the itch to do my black IS. 

I have decided to clay the car then polish with hand (dont have machine) with Gtechniq P1 and then seal with Gtechniq C2 which is the quick spray and wipe thing. I have never done this before as you mention use Gtechniq if your experienced. Any advice?

Previously I used turtle wax black box - 

I have lots of swirl marks that I need to get rid of.

Thanks buddy!

I always think videos are much better at explaining things than words! Therefore, I'll just drop this here:

As you can see, it does take a while but on Lexus paint which is generally soft, it should be faster.

You really do need a German applicator pad like the one in the video though as one side is hard and the other is soft. 

If you use a generic applicator like those yellow round ones, you might find they are too soft to actually remove anything - however, having said that, best to try with the soft side first to make sure you're not overdoing it!

• Like 2

Thank you.

Seen that video before looks easy but the area shown was so small so amusing will need a lot of elbow grease.

Will get some German Applicator pads.

Any recommendation for good detailing products stores/websites 

6 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Thank you.

Seen that video before looks easy but the area shown was so small so amusing will need a lot of elbow grease.

Will get some German Applicator pads.

Any recommendation for good detailing products stores/websites 

Cleanyourcar.co.uk, Polished Bliss etc. Quite a few around

Always worth checking eBay as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Funny how this thread came alive as I have just received my order for P1, German pads, clay etc. I plan to detail the car tomorrow. 

Will take some before and after photos.

purchased the Collinate 476s wax to finish off.

• Like 1

Just finished polishing and waxing...what a result. Really happy with Gtechniq P1 and then finishing off with Collinate 476 although that was really hard to take off of left to long to dry.

Did everything by hand using German Pads but think I will be able to get better results using a machine so time to invest in one now.....how ever the weather in London was amazing and no sun at all but perfect dry weather for this job. Really pleased with the result

Before and after photos attached. Swirls marks are well reduced.

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2866.PNG

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ishaq said:

Just finished polishing and waxing...what a result. Really happy with Gtechniq P1 and then finishing off with Collinate 476 although that was really hard to take off of left to long to dry.

Did everything by hand using German Pads but think I will be able to get better results using a machine so time to invest in one now.....how ever the weather in London was amazing and no sun at all but perfect dry weather for this job. Really pleased with the result

Before and after photos attached. Swirls marks are well reduced.

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2866.PNG

Looks a very good job by hand and the pictures certainly do the talking as the swirls genuinely appear reduced.

With regard to the collinite 476, it shouldn't be hard to use providing you've put really thin layers on. You should only be able to see a faint haze, not a car that's covered in white haze. The best method to do this is keep the applicator damp and also for one panel, you should only need to put the applicator inside the tub once.

• Like 1

I used to use Collinite when I had more time to detail. It certainly looks great and is quite durable. When I discovered chemical guys blacklight  I couldn't believe how easy it was to apply and how durable. I love their products. The interior plastic cleaner gives such a nice matt factory finish. 

• Like 1