Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A novice's master plan to caring for the IS300H...

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

DI water rinse is the way forward. No water marks and no need to dry...

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam/0ppm-de-ionising-water-filter-12.aspx

Oh wow that looks good I might do that, I am in a hard water area! It looks like you out it on at the tap end is that right? Assume it'll go on an outside tap fitting?

thanks!

I've heard​ other rate this DI system and now i have a black car, I'm now considering getting one.

Do the filters last a while?

It seems you only use the filter on the final rinse, I'm just reading the instructions.

Can you really then just let the car air dry?

That's what I do, just let it dry. I use two 15 litre vessels filled with mb-115 resin. The reason I use two is rather than refill my first when ppm crept up I just added a second and put it in sequence. Back to 0ppm and no spots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tayaste said:

I never dry my cars..  I always rinse with a twin DI vessel setup I have and never have water spots .. Worth a go :thumbsup:

Cheaper to buy from a none car cleaning company, look for window cleaning company's 

• Like 1

Just now, Farqui said:

Ah, can you refill the filters?

Can be refilled yes but (the ones I buy), but the expense is for the resin, so may as well buy a second and put it in sequence. The first gets rid of majority of ppm the second then doesn't need to work as hard and lasts much longer.

Get as large a vessel as you can, this allow the increased flow whilst removing particles

• Like 1

The taller and thinner (within reason) the vessel the more efficient use of the resin. Be careful of window cleaner focussed tanks as they tend to be low and fat, so as not to tip over on the move or destabilise the van...

• Like 1

I'll have to disagree Peter, the bigger the better from my experience to improve the flow rate. Mine are about 20 inches tall. The problem with the smaller ones like you've linked to is they often cannot be refilled with new resin, sometimes requiring a new cartridge which is pretty much the whole thing. And can only be used effectively at a reduced flow rate. Also doesn't take long for the resin to expire.

The window cleaner version are much better value for money and work far better for far longer.

I think those smaller ones are good for a cheaper initial outlay and if not going to be used too frequently. 

My linked vessel was a poor example but illustrated what I meant by DI.

Regarding vessel sizing, flow rates and efficient use of resin have a read of this excellent post, linked below. Explains it far better than I could paraphrase ..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-361829.html

Good interesting read. There is some logic there but surely all they're saying (raceglaze seller) is the taller, the better. They're not considering water travels through all the resin and not just through the direct route bypassing the resin around the outside. 

My logic is the more the resin, the more chance you have of removing impurities at a higher flow rate.

But, I look after new car engine projects for a living and not water purifiers so its highly probable i could be wrong.

I agree to a point but if you up the flow rate too high, in a low aspect column, once the column is flooded the water will flow more readily directly from inlet to outlet, creating 'stagnant' regions around the outside. In a high aspect ratio column the same will happen but to a much lesser extent, the column is much taller the water flows through a deeper resin bed and one wastes less resin filling the dead areas.

That makes sense, but with a high ratio and low volume you surely risk more impurities unless you reduce your flow rate. Maybe the best then is high volume and tallest.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links