Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rust sealing recommendations

Hi,

Plenty of stuff on the market for doing car underbody, subframes etc. however when I was doing my car I went for something I used for my iron gates.

I did my subframe and diff, some of suspension parts as follows.

Brushed off rust and applied hammerite kurust. Then when kurust dried off and bonded remaining rust I painted it black with hammerite paint with rust inhibitors ( one of the direct rust paints). Next day applied underbody bitumen with a brush for stone chip protection. 

Never bothered with  all of suspension parts. That's the bits that are going to be replaced anyway. I can imagine mechanic swearing at you when changing mucky parts.

Anyway after one year subframe and diff looks like new.

Important info. Never apply bitumen directly on rust that makes things worse.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

I followed pretty much the same process as Wild has on my (very) rusty old Starlet turbo.  Hasn't seen any action as it's still in the shed in pieces but I'm confident.

If you fancy protecting the cavities I'd recommend Bilt & Hamber Dyna-max S50 aersols and use the long reach lance they offer for application. 

As an alternative to a three stage process involving a final coat of bitumen or wax I applied Rustbuster's epoxy mastic after their rustkiller liquid.

The wings are double panels with a void in between and I used a £10 eBay usb endoscope to check for rust therein. Any rust inhibitor can be sprayed therein.

The Rustbuster site is worth a read and there is plenty of info elsewhere on the web.

Waxoyl literally stinks and to my mind there are better alternatives.

Worth getting the car up on a ramp or over an inspection pit to do the job right in my opinion.

8 hours ago, GrahamG said:

As an alternative to a three stage process involving a final coat of bitumen or wax I applied Rustbuster's epoxy mastic after their rustkiller liquid.

The wings are double panels with a void in between and I used a £10 Ebay usb endoscope to check for rust therein. Any rust inhibitor can be sprayed therein.

The Rustbuster site is worth a read and there is plenty of info elsewhere on the web.

Waxoyl literally stinks and to my mind there are better alternatives.

Worth getting the car up on a ramp or over an inspection pit to do the job right in my opinion.

looked at epoxy 2 pack seems the way to go if you prep properly, i have a scope so i will check that also thanks