Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, Michaelee said:

Hi John,

A nice car you have and in very good condition.

Michael

Thank you. I bought the car just a year ago. It was in reasonable condition, but this was more than reflected in the price I paid. With a little TLC, and what I call de-rattling it is now virtually as it should be. I am working on a few electrical modifications at the moment to improve it further.

These include auto fold mirrors on turning off the car, only having the steering wheel move into position with "ready mode" not with accessory or ignition mode, and full computer tablet display including navigation on the display screen with ball mouse operation along with things such as Techstream for fault diagnosis. I already have a rear view camera on the caravan that displays in the rear view mirror when the van is plugged into the car. The tow bar is instantly detachable so no banging legs on it when the van is not in use.

I am also considering possible LPG conversion as this would in price terms give me around 65 MPG about the same as my Prius.

Mechanically I am going to raise the rear suspension by about 1 inch as I tow a caravan. This will help with ground clearance particularly over speed bumps with the van in tow. I have also worked out a method of re-sealing leaking shock absorbers, and refilling them at considerable saving in cost.

John

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Agreed, that's a great looking GS you have there.

Why does everyone seem to have the colour I was looking for!

Your car looks stunning as only black can. However I have found in the past how difficult they are to keep clean, and you can burn your hand on them in the sun. The same goes for your backside with black leather seats, but everyone has there own likes and dislikes one size does not fit all.

I have a prefferance for white cars but could not find one.

John

• Like 1

John, thank you. Yes black does look good...for a few mins after cleaning but soon looks dirty. I haven't driven it all week and it's now thick with dust/dirt, oh the joys of living in the country side.

Years ago I had a Nissan coupe with black leather that got crazy hot on the sunshine. This wasn't a problem in my last car (Civic) and I hope the GS is okay too (pinkies crossed).

I've found Silver one of the easiest cars to keep clean but couldn't find one to compare at the time I was looking.

I'm glad to hear that you are tinkering with your car and I look forward to seeing the updates.

• Like 1

Something else to add to my list of things to do is a pre-lube system to get rid of that awful racket for the first second or so from the VVT mechanism, and in-spite of what Lexus say cannot be doing the hydraulic actuators, and sprockets any good. I have the system on my drawing board so to speak I just need to collect another couple of items.

Starting the engine after it has been stood for a while in a crowded street or car park is nothing short of embarrassing cumming from a Lexus. It sounds more like a worn out 1960's Ford than an up market limo.

John 

• Like 1

Clean looking car you got there John.

Some interesting modifications you have mentioned.  I look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

Do you have some engineering experience then?

Lovely looking motor britpus (same as mine :yes:, although looks like you have black interior, or perhaps just the tints, mine is creamy colour). See your wheels in good condition, all 4 of mine are flaking, need to figure out if / what can be done refurb wise.

Very interested on getting the mirrors to auto fold, baffled that they don't, given all the tech. Also amazes me that the fold button doesn't work once you turned off the car. I always forget to fold them and then have to power on again just to fold before I get out, pita.

Very nice looking car - agree about silver colour - it does not date and vary easy to clean.

I have immense respect for the 450h and have always wanted one (still do just to experience the CVT) but coming from and LS430 and the problems with the 450h I have not taken the plunge. i,m thuning of waiting a couple of years and going for the 600H.

Enjoy the car

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Clean looking car you got there John.

Some interesting modifications you have mentioned.  I look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

Do you have some engineering experience then?

I was by trade "now retired" an electronics engineer servicing industrial automation production lines "industrial robots". This required not only the the electrical knowledge, but a strong background in mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic engineering.

Solving the problem of leaking shocks saved me a lot of money that I can spend in other areas.

John

3 hours ago, Upex said:

Lovely looking motor britpus (same as mine :yes:, although looks like you have black interior, or perhaps just the tints, mine is creamy colour). See your wheels in good condition, all 4 of mine are flaking, need to figure out if / what can be done refurb wise.

Very interested on getting the mirrors to auto fold, baffled that they don't, given all the tech. Also amazes me that the fold button doesn't work once you turned off the car. I always forget to fold them and then have to power on again just to fold before I get out, pita.

The wheels had been refurbished before I bought the car, and I try very hard not to damage them. The interior is cream leather.

Once I have sorted the problems with the mirrors, and other items I will post the details of the modifications. When doing electrical modifications I try to keep things simple, and easily returnable to OEM condition.

John.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Very nice looking car - agree about silver colour - it does not date and vary easy to clean.

I have immense respect for the 450h and have always wanted one (still do just to experience the CVT) but coming from and LS430 and the problems with the 450h I have not taken the plunge. i,m thuning of waiting a couple of years and going for the 600H.

Enjoy the car

The only majour problem with the GS450H that had not been sorted was the leaky shock absorbers. The transmission problem has been solved "hydraulic pump motor bearings". However now being able to cure the problems with the shocks has made the car much cheaper to maintain.

Towing a caravan puts a much greater strain on particularly the rear shocks. I have been able to refill these with a slightly higher viscosity oil to increase the damping effect with the van in tow, and this I find improves the normal ride. The best way I can describe it is the shocks act like they are in the sport mode when in normal mode, and more noticeably stiffen up when in sport mode. This difference was difficult to perceive with the OEM shocks in standard form.

John.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Britprius said:

I was by trade "now retired" an electronics engineer servicing industrial automation production lines "industrial robots". This required not only the the electrical knowledge, but a strong background in mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic engineering.

Solving the problem of leaking shocks saved me a lot of money that I can spend in other areas.

John

Well, you certainly have the skills then.

As @Upex mentioned, the fact that you can't operate the mirrors when the car is off is a pain.  It would nice if they could auto fold.

By the way, how did you solve the leaking shock problem?  I remember you mentioning in another thread that you were going to attempt it, but I never saw how you got on?

It has taken me a while to find suitable seals. I have found some high quality hydraulic seals that I have to import that will work at pressure in excesses of 10,000 PSI, and designed, and had machined some caps to carry them along with the ability "a port" to refill the shocks. These seals will work happily on a worn shaft as long as it is not scored or bent. 

I have designed the caps so that the seals can easily be replaced if it is ever required. Once fitted the shock can be topped up while still on the car if required without any dismantling. The only criteria for fitting these is that the shock absorber they are being fitted to still holds gas pressure. In other words the shaft still extends under pressure when removed from the car. Something around 90% do as the gas is held in a separate section at the base of the shock even if all the oil has escaped.

John.

• Like 2

Wow, that sounds like some impressive work you have done there.

Did you do the refurb yourself?

It sounds like this method of yours could save quite a few GS 450h owners some money.

Just now, Shahpor said:

Wow, that sounds like some impressive work you have done there.

Did you do the refurb yourself?

It sounds like this method of yours could save quite a few GS 450h owners some money.

Yes I did all the work myself apart from the actual machining as being retired I no longer have access to a lathe.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Nice one.

Any plans for sharing this excellent work with fellow members? :wink3::smile:

That question after just having read "The acre's post No longer a Lexus owner" puts me in a difficult position that I had not intended. Please read that post.

John.

• Like 1

I have read that thread.  Not a good show at all.

But in this case, I can't imagine it being a problem?

Perhaps message Mike and see what their position on this is?

I am sure there are many people on here who would be very thankful for your efforts.

• Like 2

Agreed, trying to sell the mod would be rejected, but sharing the knowledge etc, that's fine as the site is full of it (how to info that is).

• Like 1

Agreed, that's a great looking GS you have there.

Why does everyone seem to have the colour I was looking for!

Is yours Black or Blue like mine??

Mine is black, Obsidian i believe

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Is yours Black or Blue like mine??

Mine is black, Obsidian i believe

I have had a few here look quite nice with blacked out windows sort of presidential i think if done right. Heres my baby Canterbury Blue

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links