Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On track with the isf

Had an awesome day at Mallory Park on Sunday. There were some hardcore cars and drivers there so the first few sessions were spent getting out of their way! After some tuition from a professional and some practice I felt as quick as I was comfortable with and even overtook some of the cars that were all over me in the morning 😀

The car was amazing, brakes didn't fade once, temperatures were steady and the Michelins were like chewing gum.

A few people were interested in the car, not sure if any of them knew what it was though! Luckily with my exhaust people knew it was something interesting. Lots of people said my car and a C63 were the best sounding cars out of the 60 that were there 😊

I'm trying to get some photos from the professional photographerwho was there but in the meantime here's me and my mate's stunning M3...

20170319_104919.jpg

• Like 12

@Chuckie478 he's a much more experienced driver but towards the end of the day I was keeping up with him. The F had really good grip and didn't step out on my all day, apart from launching out of the hairpin 😎. The M3 took a quick trip in the kitty litter though...

And yes @Big Rat I would do it again in a heartbeat 🖒

• Like 2

All that I've read about the 'F' on track as regards the brakes have been positive, standard M3 not so.

Bet you were pleased you had a bit of a dickie heater eh 😂

Big Rat

20 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Great stuff @Rusty Crobar great to see your getting so much out of the car. Did you not get pulled for the exhaust noise?

I got cheered down the pit straight 😁. There was a mk2 astra touring car, lotus exige, classic mustang racer and a couple of very loud vtec hondas but none sounded as good as an F!

Btw, my heater was fine once I topped up the coolant level and didn't lose another drop all day!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I got cheered down the pit straight 😁. There was a mk2 astra touring car, lotus exige, classic mustang racer and a couple of very loud vtec hondas but none sounded as good as an F!

Btw, my heater was fine once I topped up the coolant level and didn't lose another drop all day!

Great stuff!  Flying the flag... 👍 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

@Rusty Crobar Russ just to be on the safe side if you have had to top up check your water pump matey just in case it's misting/weeping, have you ever had it replaced ?

Just drop the front under trays if it is it will be obvious 

looks like this 👍

Big Rat

9 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Thanks, I think it was just from replacing the top radiator hose and not topping it back up enough. I'll check the water pump though 🖒

Good man 👍

Hi rusty out of interest what mode do you use on track?

Im thinking sports mode with manual shift ?

Or do you take traction off completly.

I wouldnt mind trying a novice track day in the F

You can have sports mode selected and still switch off traction control.  When I'm out for a spirited drive i use sports mode and dont switch it off.  I've read that leaving TC on however whilst on track can cause a lot of rear brake wear and heat build up?  

I was mostly in sport mode as I wanted a safety net and wasn't sure how spiky she would be. It is good to see when the tc light flickers as it helps to show where the limit is and where you need to be smoother with the throttle. 

However, the car had a lot more grip than I thought so I did a few sessions without the tc and it was fine! I was worried about frying the rear brakes but I checked them after every session and they weren't smoking or smelling! Just don't stay out for more than 30 mins and let them cool off and they'll be fine. I do have upgraded pads though.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2017 at 8:46 PM, Rusty Crobar said:

@Rusty Crobar Russ Now you are back home thought you like this little demo, then you can get yourself a copy and practice at home from the comfort of your arm chair, just make sure you choose the right colour 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrfunex said:

Were you noise tested? What was the limit on the day? 

There was no noise test conducted but I think they would have black flagged anyone too loud. There were a couple of very loud hondas, much louder than my car, so the limit must have been pretty generous 😁

53 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Rusty Crobar

Russ those are some great pics thanx for sharing, just one thing now how are supposed to all keep up with you on the Welsh Blat now that, you've got all this new found talent 😂

Big Rat

The car takes most of the credit so I'm sure you won't have any problems. I suspect you are a much more talented driver than me anyway. I did learn a lot though, mostly about how to be a bit more smooth with the pedals 🖒