Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Gen3 to Gen4 navigation and radio upgrade

So, I just managed to get hold of both Gen4 Nav screen and Radio/CD to try the upgrade my 2006 RX400h that came with factory Gen3 Nav.

As you probably know the Gen3 was a lower resolution screen and the CD player did not play DVD.

Whereas the Gen4 has higher resolution screen and plays both DVD and MP3.

First I thought I would just plug in and see what worked and what didn't.

1. The nav screen has one plug the same and one that on the Gen4 is longer so doesn't fit. On connecting the one plug nothing on the screen works, doesn't even show anything on the screen.

2. All the 3 plugs and two aerial plugs are the same size, plugged them in and... sound comes out that is playing the iPod integration but no screen working and doesn't do anything else.

There are some connectors missing from my car that the Gen4 has but I think they are to do with the DVD and aux video out?

So, first question,

Has anyone else succeeded in this upgrade?

Secondly has anyone got the pin outs for the Gen3 and Gen4 nav screens so I can cross reference.

Pics attached of both units from the rear showing differences.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Gen3 units

ec0f4393bfae68c84f899d243d2d6dbf.jpg

Gen4 units

2668c342fc8d523eac44f3b045968824.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

So, update, The ML head unit with DVD player is now installed with the original Nav display unit.
It was a straight swap and everything works, on the Radio anyway, the nav unit still works as it did, that's a later project.
Anyway the issue I had in the first post...
"2. All the 3 plugs and two aerial plugs are the same size, plugged them in and... sound comes out that is playing the iPod integration but no screen working and doesn't do anything else."
This turned out to be a bent side plate on the head unit which caused the connector between the front panel and the main box to be dislodged.
I removed the front panel and straightened the metal plate and refitted the front panel... voila, all now works.

Also found out the Small White plug is the Video out as in the pic Pins 5 and 7 are AV out

58d5aeef9f221_AVoutPin5and7.jpg.4c7c99a9fa5af928fa1905883c40e044.jpg

IMG_4392.thumb.JPG.0b0aee808648d0aaed94698ab39b9e80.JPG

• Like 1

Gen4 unit
2668c342fc8d523eac44f3b045968824.jpg

Can anyone take a picture or show on this picture if there are any connections between the connectors on the head unit and the ones on the nav display?
A picture of the rear of the units with cables connected would be great and help towards this project.

Ok, update time..

Firstly i should correct the mistake in the previous posts here, It is actually Gen4 to Gen5 upgrade not 3 to 4.
The Gen5 Multi Display has the round shaped Icons and not square as in the Gen4.

So, I moved forward with research and testing, connecting the new Gen5 Mult Display to a power supply it came alive.
This is by connecting connector M1 pins 1,2,3 to GND, ACC, BAT+
Obviously with no external gateway or Audio head unit connected there is no Audio controls and no Nav but the Bluetooth Telephone works apart from sound.

I have researched for PIN out comparisons between the two versions and have put together the following table.
Next step is to put the new unti in and start modifying the connector blocks to match the table, more updates when this is completed, just waiting for delivery of the new M4 connector.

58de2924b3950_LexusRX400hWiringComparisonGen4toGen5.jpg.eb2f59e04b69aaf1a8f4170af3ddf325.jpg

58de2cc38ffe6_ConnectorLocationGen4.jpg.354320ea1893f0bffe2528ab3b21af53.jpg58de2cc866552_ConnectorLocationGen5.jpg.993e20cbfb80ba2edbf822a03b8d6dd5.jpg

The above table may be slightly wrong, after testing there are some items that don't work, will update this week when more testing is done.
So far this works for most of the functions.
Connector M1 seems to ba all correct but M4 updated as below, items in yellow highlight seem to be correct so far.
58e1ff6a7e675_LexusRX400hWiringComparisonGen4toGen5_M4Connector2.jpg.64e8d6145366fd46d3cd2dfc46912a21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update,
Well it turns out you can't have the Nav and Rear camera working with a Gen 5 as the video feed is GVIF instead of RGBSync on the Gen4
So, some more eBay shopping!
Now have a 2007 Nav unit and Park Assist ECU on the way together with a updated Gateway ECU. Both these are GVIF interfaces so time to completely upgrade.
More when they arrive and I've done some more testing on the setup. 

• 1 month later...

Well, all done. Gen 5 upgrade completely installed and fully working, including a new ML amp in the boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 7 months later...

Hello,quite impressive work you`ve done there.

Would like to attempt the same on my 2006 Rx 400,do you have any tips where to by and what to by for this upgrade.

Kind of slow when it comes to electronics etc.

RGDS

Runar,norway

yes, I agree, it sounds impressive.  Though not clear exactly what has been done, at what expense, and for what benefit.  

Would I be correct in thinking that this transposes equipment from the RX450H into an RX400H?

The benefits seem to be: higher resolution display, better (in what way?) sat nav, capability to play DVD (with video?), auxiliary audio input (cable only or Bluetooth?)

What is the reference to ML?  Is it Mark Levinson?

Truth is that I've only just bought my 2006 RX400H and have no need to pull it apart yet.  But for the future........

• 2 years later...

Hello,

that upgrade is impressive. I would like to do the same. could you please Verify all the parts needed to perform the upgrade are below ?This is what i see:

1. Gen5 Nav head unit and radio

2.  Park Assist ECU

3. Gateway ECU

Some of the pictures of the connectors dont show up anymore. Could you please repost? 

I hope you get a reply but this post is three years old so don't be disheartened if you don't, just carry on your research and good luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links