Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There has been extensive discussion on the US Club Lexus NX forum about wind noise in the NX, and whether there is a design problem.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-models-2015-present/803803-nx-owner-survey-excessive-wind-noise.html

At first I thought this was a non-issue, but after an 800-mile mostly m-way trip this week I'm coming round to the view that wind noise is excessive, and that the door mirrors are the likely cause. It's a relatively minor irritation set against the positive qualities of the NX, and probably more noticeable because of the otherwise excellent general refinement.  Nevertheless, my sense is that there's room for improvement, which might perhaps be made with the rumored 2018 facelift. I'd be interested to know what others think.

One of the problems with forums like this is that it's possible to convince yourself that you've got every forum niggle going. As I said, drive a few to see if yours is any worse or on a par with others. So subjective and so many different variables I would think

• Like 2

Can't say I have noticed that, even with a panoramic roof which some say can be noisier, but then again my hearing is poor. :wink3:

My wife has never mentioned it. 

The NX does have huge door mirrors and I suspect this has something to do with it. Also quite an upright car with a big frontal area. Also very subjective and you can't really compare different cars because too many variables. Wind direction and windspeed will have a big effect too. I think my NX has slightly more apparent wind noise than a previous IS and a Jaguar XF but my NX is exceptionally quiet and this probably makes the wind noise sound worse. All subjective though and hard to quantify

Thanks for the comments. Certainly the refinement of the NX in other areas probably makes wind noise more apparent.  I don't think there's a seal problem, as I've had that in the past (thanks, Vauxhall) and I suspect Paul is right that the big mirrors play a part.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Funkyboy said:

What car review points out wind noise is excessive 

They also point out that the NX whines and groans and isn't as good as a german car........

I have recently changed from an Audi Q3 s line diesel for my lexus.  Must say the Lexus is quieter than the Audi and more comfortable and I have had several over the last 10yrs. I have not noticed any excessive wind noise. So far I have found it at least comparative to the Audi and is certainly more economical on short journeys. Granted the speed of the Lexus is different but I was aware of this prior to purchase.  I can honestly say that apart from the navigation premium I am not disappointed.

I had an nx300h as a courtesy car yesterday, I I thought it was noisy at motorway speeds, but seemed to be more like tyre noise, especially at the back. Compared to my GS it was quite loud. Absolutey fine at urban speeds.

In wet weather and also after washing the windscreen with the washer jets, I see water passing over the driver's side window and as it gets to the vertical bar in the window just adjacent to the door mirror you can see the water get turned around in a vortex from the top of this vertical band. The wind noise gets louder at this point too and then when the water disappears the wind noise decreases to normal again. I think the area at the top of this vertical band is the main cause of the wind noise

On 2017-5-31 at 1:27 PM, Jamesf1 said:

I had an nx300h as a courtesy car yesterday, I I thought it was noisy at motorway speeds, but seemed to be more like tyre noise, especially at the back. Compared to my GS it was quite loud. Absolutey fine at urban speeds.

A saloon will always be quiet though, reason being is that the rear wheels of a saloon are over the boot and the boot itself is enclosed. 

On an SUV the boot isn't enclosed in the same way and the rear wheels are technically just over the cabin

The NX was noisy on mway period. Maybe tyre size/make made it bad.  My old CRV wasnt that noisy on mway. Shame as it was so refined in urban driving. Overall i likes it though. Definatly a hybrid for me next time. 

I think it's tyres that make an NX noisy. The suspension feels supple enough when underway but still plenty of road noise. Worth trying a different make and choosing a tyre partly based on its noise rating. Shame you can't try and buy tyres!

• 5 months later...

Compared to my previous CRV the NX300H is extremely quiet at all speeds and especially on the motorway.  Do not notice wind noise and the radio is audible which often it was not in the CRV because of wind and road noise.  Notice how quiet it is on the M25 stretch at Leatherhead which is a concrete surface.  In the CRV it was very noisy and you heard every join.  In the NX you hardly hear the noise and can hear the radio.  I have done quite a bit of driving lately when it has been windy and the one thing I like is how quiet the car is.