Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 gen 3 engine

I have a 2014 IS250 - never driven a IS300h but was wondering:

- is the engine the same in both cars?

- is the engine essentially the same as the gen 2 IS250 or are there improvements?

58 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

I have a 2014 IS250 - never driven a IS300h but was wondering:

- is the engine the same in both cars?

- is the engine essentially the same as the gen 2 IS250 or are there improvements?

As above.

I believe the engine is exactly the same and just carried over

I've had a 2nd and 3rd generation IS250. In my opinion the 2nd gen engine wins hands down and feels faster than the 3rd gen engine. It sounds more cultured and refined too. I found the 3rd gen engine to be all sound and no go. The figures are about the same but I found the later car to be a bit of a disappointment. They've gone for a soundtrack to make it a little like the LFA and although it is a raw sound it just feels like it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. I hated it and it was such a disappointment because I was expecting better

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I've had a 2nd and 3rd generation IS250. In my opinion the 2nd gen engine wins hands down and feels faster than the 3rd gen engine. It sounds more cultured and refined too. I found the 3rd gen engine to be all sound and no go. The figures are about the same but I found the later car to be a bit of a disappointment. They've gone for a soundtrack to make it a little like the LFA and although it is a raw sound it just feels like it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. I hated it and it was such a disappointment because I was expecting better

Exactly the same engine after doing some research so your observations are odd 

3rd gen is larger and slightly heavier though but not enough to warrant any major difference 

12 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Doesn't the 3IS have one of those "sound generators"? That would explain the difference.

Yes, but there's no difference in the powertrain itself - it just pumps more noise into the cabin

12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Interesting as it appears the 250 is faster than the 300h 0-60 (8.2 secs vs 7.6 secs), although there are lots of varying numbers out there.

i find the instant pull of the 250 quite impressive however it does disappoint on pull given it's a v6. I really wanted the 350 :(

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

As above.

I believe the engine is exactly the same and just carried over

Not really... or at least not exactly (based on quote).

IS250 MK2 and MK3 are the same engine 4GR-FSE 2.5l v6 204hp with same gearbox (so yes that is carry over).

IS300h however has 2AR-FSE - l4 2.5 engine tuned for economy (Atkinson cycle) making mere 175hp and obviously different (e-CTV) gearbox. It is assisted by electric motor, but as per my other post I found them working "disjointedly" and IS300h feels like 175hp car, whereas IS250 feels like 204hp car - not that surprising at all. Hence the difference in acceleration.

IS300h is more of compliance vehicle made to meet strict Co2 standard in EU and to please lease fleets to maximise tax benefits of Co2.. definitely not to be enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Ben1001 said:

however it does disappoint on pull given it's a v6. I really wanted the 350 :(

that it is v6 really makes no difference, the pull depends solely on how much power it makes, v6 more contributes to the smoothness and sound of the engine.

You not alone here who wants 350.... 

On 25/03/2017 at 9:37 PM, Steve44 said:

Quick check on the internet and according to Wiki page, IS250 uses a toyota 4GR series engine and it is the same from 2005 to date. I'd take that with a pinch of salt, but most probably the same basic engine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

The is250 engine doesn't share any parts from a Toyota, I have replace quite a few things and with in depth search for part from Toyota that would fit as Toyota parts would have been cheaper, clutch and dualmass flywheel is250 only not the same as any Toyota.

21 minutes ago, XeXpLoReX said:

The is250 engine doesn't share any parts from a Toyota, I have replace quite a few things and with in depth search for part from Toyota that would fit as Toyota parts would have been cheaper, clutch and dualmass flywheel is250 only not the same as any Toyota.

I am sorry... but you wrong. Not only it shares parts with toyota ... 4GR-FSE is toyota engine, and you will find it in following cars with 100% interchangeable engine parts:

2003 Toyota Crown Royal & Athlete (GRS180/181)(Japan)
2004 Toyota Mark X (GRX120/125) (Japan)
2005-2013 Lexus IS 250 (GSE20/25)
2008 Toyota Crown Royal & Athlete (GRS200/201) (Japan)
2009–present Toyota Mark X (GRX130/135) (Japan)
2009-2015 Lexus IS 250C (GSE20)
2012–present Lexus GS 250
2012–present Toyota Crown Royal (Japan)
2013–present Lexus IS 250 (GSE30/35)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links