Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took about 10 minutes to wire in an aux on my LS400; circuit diagrams are available out there and I just intercepted the line in into the amp under the driver's seat. Hooked a Bluetooth receiver with suppressor into that to connect my phone to. Can still use all other inputs and best thing is the volume control in the factory head unit works. Some interesting wiring from Lexus. I guess the 430 must also have an amp under the driver's seat.

• Like 1

This seems to be the perfect solution. Has anyone fitted the version that does not rely on an iplayer or ipod. I want digital radio and a usb connector to play downloaded radio programmes.

Also, the thought of 'getting to the back of the radio' fills me with dread as surely something will snap or blow.

3 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

Took about 10 minutes to wire in an aux on my LS400; circuit diagrams are available out there and I just intercepted the line in into the amp under the driver's seat. Hooked a bluetooth receiver with suppressor into that to connect my phone to. Can still use all other inputs and best thing is the volume control in the factory head unit works. Some interesting wiring from Lexus. I guess the 430 must also have an amp under the driver's seat.

Sounds simple but probably not for me :wacko: I think that the ls430 amp is somewhere in the boot or around there.

Thanks,

Alex 

2 hours ago, MLW said:

This seems to be the perfect solution. Has anyone fitted the version that does not rely on an iplayer or ipod. I want digital radio and a usb connector to play downloaded radio programmes.

Also, the thought of 'getting to the back of the radio' fills me with dread as surely something will snap or blow.

Surprisingly, getting to the back of the cd changer and radio is very simple, even for someone like me. Just requires 15 mins and a careful approach. 

The only cables are for the switches in the centre panel and for the hazard lights, they are bound in thick tape so little risk of damage. 

Alex 

22 hours ago, MLW said:

Does anyone have an idiots guide of how to do this. I could do with one.

This is the video that taught me how to do it. Prying out the first panel where the heated/cooled seats are is a bit daunting at first but just be gentle and don't rush it. When it comes to finally pulling out the changer, one of our 430's it took quite a lot of pressure to pull it as it was pretty set in place after all the years! It is very difficult to break anything, but two warnings- firstly, when it comes to pulling out the hazard light connection cable push down on the tiny clip and do not pull on the wire or it could possibly be damaged, always test that the hazard lights are working when you re install the changer. Also, the bolts which you remove on the sides of the changer have a habit of falling down into the recesses of the centre console and being lost forever moving around in there:unsure:, so if your tools are not magnetic, keep a hand under to catch it if it should drop out.  

Alex

• 2 months later...

I looked at the aftermarket Bluetooth units as well. Most of them connect to the CD2 connector on the back of the head unit. I thought about it but it's a lot of work, so in the end I bought a £9 Bluetooth/FM unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works perfectly and sound quality is surprisingly good. Also has 2 USB ports to charge phone. That combined with a magnetic phone holder stuck to the phone holder door and I have a usable functional system.

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

I looked at the aftermarket Bluetooth units as well. Most of them connect to the CD2 connector on the back of the head unit. I thought about it but it's a lot of work, so in the end I bought a £9 Bluetooth/FM unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works perfectly and sound quality is surprisingly good. Also has 2 USB ports to charge phone. That combined with a magnetic phone holder stuck to the phone holder door and I have a usable functional system.

Ooh, that sounds like an affordable easy solution to the problem:smile:

I don't quite get what you installed exactly, could you explain George?

Could be onto something that would work nicely!  

Thanks for your reply,

Alex 

There are loads of different ones on the market. Here is an example:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-fm-transmitter-n26en

You ideally need to get one that has been CE approved (not just a CE logo printed on it in China) to be legal.

Essentially it is an FM transmitter, powered by the cigarette lighter socket, which your car radio picks up. Quality is as good as your FM radio. The issue is if you are in a built up area - when I tried one years ago I struggled to find a frequency that wasn't in use anywhere on my journey between home and work.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

There are loads of different ones on the market. Here is an example:

You ideally need to get one that has been CE approved (not just a CE logo printed on it in China) to be legal.

Essentially it is an FM transmitter, powered by the cigarette lighter socket, which your car radio picks up. Quality is as good as your FM radio. The issue is if you are in a built up area - when I tried one years ago I struggled to find a frequency that wasn't in use anywhere on my journey between home and work.

That looks good! The thing about finding an empty FM frequency sounds a bit annoying, but when you compare that price to the adapter on eBay, might as well give it a try. 

Would the songs from my phone not sound a bit flat and bland? 

Thanks,

Alex 

1 minute ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Would the songs from my phone not sound a bit flat and bland? 

Yep, FM isn't CD quality but worth trying for only a few pounds. I'd go with one that uses an Aux cable so you get the best quality from the phone to the transmitter. If you use a Bluetooth one, you have the wire-free connivence but you lose quality on the Bluetooth connection from phone to transmitter and then from the transmitter to FM.

Actually, as you have an LS430, and I assume a tape deck, you could use a tape adapter instead to avoid the FM reception issue and possibly better quality too.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/mobile-phone-accessories/audio-accessories/belkin-cassette-adapter

3 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yep, FM isn't CD quality but worth trying for only a few pounds. I'd go with one that uses an Aux cable so you get the best quality from the phone to the transmitter. If you use a bluetooth one, you have the wire-free connivence but you lose quality on the bluetooth connection from phone to transmitter and then from the transmitter to FM.

Actually, as you have an LS430, and I assume a tape deck, you could use a tape adapter instead to avoid the FM reception issue and possibly better quality too.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/mobile-phone-accessories/audio-accessories/belkin-cassette-adapter

It gets better! :biggrin: Finally something that will let me listen to my favourite songs after all these years. Wish I had known about this sooner. Will be going to my local Halfords tomorrow to see if they have one. 

Unfortunately you have to select songs from the phone as is not integrated but I'm always the passenger in the Lexus, so that won't be a problem:yes:

Many thanks,

Alex 

I use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K4SUASY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, you won't get CD quality but it's more than good enough for in car use. Mine is tuned to 108.0 as the highest in my area is 106.2. The only -ve for me is a slight hum between songs. 

The difference with the cassette adaptors is that most of them are noisy when operating, mechanical noise as the motors turn the capstans.

After purchasing an 'ION in-car Bluetooth Cassette Adaptor' from Maplin, I have been pleasantly surprised. Have had to set bass to max and turn down treble but apart from that the quality is pretty good. I decided to go wireless since I preferred ease of use and the extra fun over a slight improvement in sound quality.

I tried apple Music and Spotify but have settled with Spotify Premium since it has a full manual equaliser to compensate for the low base and artificial high range sounds from the cassette. Yes, there is a bit of tape noise but I guess that if I run a tape cleaner, it should sort it out/improve it. 

Of course, nothing beats a wired input, but this is easy to use/install and since it is my mother's car, she still has all the other media functions. Only thing is remembering to turn down the volume when switching back from tape to CD/FM/AM. 

When I leave home she'll get the Mark Levinson all back to herself :biggrin:

Alex 

4 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Maplin

If anyones thinking of looking round a Maplins shop better be quick, Maplins & ToysRus announced bankrupcy today so everything's 'presumably' going cheap soon

Wish I had delayed purchasing that adapter! 

I agree with ColinBarber, a cassette adapter is probably the way to go.

Old-school (ie reliable), good-value (cheap, 99p see below), no electronics to fail on you, no moving parts to fail on you.  Just 'plug and play'.

Regarding BigBoomer's comment about the noise of the capstans turning. He clearly does not play his music load enough to drown out the small noise. :wink3:

This is the cheapest on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Cassette-Tape-Adapter-Converter-for-MP3-CellPhone-iPod-Touch-Nano-CD-MD-UK/162927531742?hash=item25ef3cd6de:g:zPQAAOSwu4BVl0q0

Good luck with that one. Did exactly that and it did not work..... cheap Chinese cr*p, which is why I went the way I did, spent considerably more, but have a quality system that works as it should.

12 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Good luck with that one. Did exactly that and it did not work..... cheap Chinese cr*p, which is why I went the way I did, spent considerably more, but have a quality system that works as it should.

In which case you have wasted 99p.  In previous cars I have used this solution with success.  It also has you using your music in the next day or two while you take your time choosing the right solution for you, or wait until Maplins goes bankrupt and you get a more sophisticated solution, at a good price.

50 minutes ago, Beejay55 said:

Regarding BigBoomer's comment about the noise of the capstans turning. He clearly does not play his music load enough to drown out the small noise. :wink3:

Well, while I do listen to quite a bit of Prog Rock, I am also a bit of a MetalHead so not always that quiet :D
You only hear the cassette noise between the tracks unless they are very quiet.
I still have the cassette adapter I used in the Honda Legend as a reserve.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, ColinBarber said:

Yep, FM isn't CD quality but worth trying for only a few pounds. I'd go with one that uses an Aux cable so you get the best quality from the phone to the transmitter. If you use a bluetooth one, you have the wire-free connivence but you lose quality on the bluetooth connection from phone to transmitter and then from the transmitter to FM.

My daughter uses one of these bought on eBay, in her FIAT panda radio/cassette. It works really well. Problem is you need a Iphone and I am a basic mobile man.