Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just incase anyone else is going the cassette adapter route, I went back to Maplin the other day and picked up a wired cassette adapter in addition to the Bluetooth one that I got. The sound quality just blew me away! With the Bluetooth one, I had to use Spotify as it has an EQ, whereas now with the wired one, the quality is so good that i can play even the worst quality of tracks and it sounds no worse than a CD R. 

I also purchased a cassette cleaner and ran it for 20secs (as stated in instructions) and that has got rid of most of the noise that the tape player makes and has also improved sound quality, so, for best results clean that old tape player first!

Other non BT bonuses are that theres no issue of it running put of charge in the middle of the journey. Think i'm going to buy one for our other 430 as well, because it really is a great device and now means that i don't have to bother buying an expensive kit from eBay and risk it not fitting/ damaging something. 

I have also noticed that since I started playing CD-r's in the changer (before I knew of the adapter) that now, occasionally the changer starts saying 'CD ERROR' ever so often, so using the adapter gives stops me having to use dodgy CDs. 

• Like 1

About a week after I bought my LS430 I was so happy to discover one of the previous owners had installed this:

https://www.amazon.com/SL3B-L-SoundLinQ3-Bluetooth-streaming-charge/dp/B00BTMSPBY

It seamlessly connects with the audio unit (all the controlls on the radio panel and steering wheel work with it) and sets itself up in the MD emulation mode.

Cassette adapters use compression too. The electronics in the adapter compress the analogue audio and then the cassette player decompresses it for the amplifier. Cutting CD-R is great but I spend 20hrs per week in the car so need more than 6 CDs worth of music.

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

Cassette adapters use compression too. The electronics in the adapter compress the analogue audio and then the cassette player decompresses it for the amplifier. Cutting CD-R is great but I spend 20hrs per week in the car so need more than 6 CDs worth of music.

Ok you have me confused here. We are not talking about DCC or DAT, standard cassette is analogue. The tape adapter converts the electric analogue audio to magnetic field and the player reverses that. There is no digital compression/decompression.

You can have a form of dynamic range compression with Dolby noise reduction, but that really isn't what is being discussed and those adapters don't support that - Dolby NR should be turned off on the player.

For 99p, it would be surprising if any electronics for compression/decompression was included.  In any case, why would it be needed?

The MP3 cassette adapter replaces the tape with another head which creates a magnetic field equal to that which the tape might output. The two heads get very close/touch and the audio signal from the cassette emulator is induced into the cassette deck head.  Cheaper adapters, will output a signal in mono, rather than stereo.

More expensive adapters may contain pre-emphasis electronics and equalisation as well as memory card or USB functions, but not compression/decompression.

If you are interested have a read of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape_adaptor

image.png

image.png

Sorry, I used the wrong term, should have been "equalisation" not compression. Cassettes have an upper limit of 12khz and have a poor frequency response over 1.5khz. This is why Dolby spent so much time/money developing ways of improving the reproduction quality. 

Vinyl has RIAA equalisation, tape has Dolby, digital has digital distortion/compression issues.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts so ya pays yer money and takes yer choice. 😁

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 7:39 PM, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Thanks Roger, you have already been a lot of help. Does your one look like this? How did you need to fit it and what did the Bluetooth module look like and how did you fit that extra? (The one I want to get says that the Bluetooth module is an add on). Thanks for helping, sorry about asking so many q's 

Alex 

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 18.38.34.png

Hi Alex, how did you get on with this module, I am looking to add this to my recently purchased LS430, I am transferring it after using it in a Ford Focus where it worked excellently. 

Can you advise which cd connector plug your unit has, is it the small 6-6 plug or is it the larger plug, according to xcar it changes in 2003 but I am not sure of that. Unfortunately I am out of the country so not near my car to check.

Also, did you add the Bluetooth? If so does it also allow handsfree telephone?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

41 minutes ago, Magrew said:

Hi Alex, how did you get on with this module, I am looking to add this to my recently purchased LS430, I am transferring it after using it in a Ford Focus where it worked excellently. 

Can you advise which cd connector plug your unit has, is it the small 6-6 plug or is it the larger plug, according to xcar it changes in 2003 but I am not sure of that. Unfortunately I am out of the country so not near my car to check.

Also, did you add the bluetooth? If so does it also allow handsfree telephone?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Unfortunately I never ended up buying the xcar product since when I contacted the seller on eBay (after sending them a photo of the audio unit in the car) they claimed that it definitely would not be compatible, I found this hard to believe since it worked for Roger, and the listing said it was for the car. I resorted to buying a cassette adapter and not risk the cost. Yes, I believe that the connector did change on the facelifts, so if your car is mid 2003(53) or later the pins will be different. It has been a while since I took the unit out so have forgotten what the connector pins look like exactly. So to summarise, I THINK that a 2001- mid 2003 LS430 has a certain type of pin connector, and then 53 and later is another type. Since your  Reason being that am pretty sure I remember that when the audio unit died in our 2001 LS and we tried to replace it with one from a facelift model that my neighbour crashed into his house (long story) after taking everything out we failed miserably since the pins were different. So yes, if I remember correctly, I think pre facelift 430s have the smaller 66 plug. 

Alex 

Hi Alex, thanks for the fast reply. I have contacted one of their resellers, bass junkies, so I will see how I get on with them and keep you informed. 

Stewart 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Magrew said:

No, they weren't massively helpful. Currently I'm using an fm streamer but that doesn't work well for hands free. 

I decided the other day to just go for it and buy the aux/sd/usb kit from eBay.  Despite the fact they told me(after receiving a picture of the cd unit) that it would not work, I ignored them and just purchased it. It works beautifully and sounds fantastic! 

This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-430-2001-2005-Car-Stereo-USB-SD-AUX-Interface-iPod-iPhone-BT-Option/251590484726?epid=648442757&hash=item3a93f622f6:g:7LEAAOSw0fhXkJn2

Wish I had done it before spending money on numerous adapters to experiment to find the best sound quality and an FM transmitter also. I have learned that cost cutting is pointless with such a lovely car. 

Despite the picture on eBay mine came with aux instead of line in/bluetooth. I messaged them after placing the order so as to be sure of this. The only one flaw is that if you use the buttons on the nav screen to fast forward or rewind a song from your phone with aux the nav screen quickly restarts itself since it gets confused, but I don't think that is a huge let down, just don't seek from the nav screen when connected with aux. The ports and aux jack are illuminated in a nice blue :) 

I say go for it! It's expensive but a one off and is a great product to use with the 430's sound system. I didn't bother with the Bluetooth module for £50 extra. 

Alex 

By the way, if you have a facelift car then you will need to get the other one since the pin connector is different. The non facelifts are 5+7. I can't remember what they are on facelifts. There are different products by xcarlink on eBay so choose carefully and if in doubt message them. When they eventually noticed that my message had been ignored  they were very helpful and answered all of my questions. 

The unit I have looks identical to that but it is branded as Connect 2. Since I have the module I was simply looking for the patch cable which to match the Lexus configuration. 

I was aware of the different plugs between the early and the facelifted models so I took out my unit last week to check my configuration. 

My next plan is to contact Connect 2 directly and see if they can help. The cable should just be a few pounds rather than spending £80+ again. 

Glad yours is working well for you. 

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Alex so pleased you bit the bullet  and it is all working well for you. Mine continues to perform well with no problems,

Rgds, Roger

Thanks for giving me the confidence Roger! 

Now I just need to replace the sub and since the audio still comes slightly more from the left I think that the right front door speaker needs replacing also, then it’s perfect! 

Alex 

2 hours ago, Magrew said:

The unit I have looks identical to that but it is branded as Connect 2. Since I have the module I was simply looking for the patch cable which to match the Lexus configuration. 

I was aware of the different plugs between the early and the facelifted models so I took out my unit last week to check my configuration. 

My next plan is to contact Connect 2 directly and see if they can help. The cable should just be a few pounds rather than spending £80+ again. 

Glad yours is working well for you. 

Good luck getting hold of the cable! I had to run the cable connected to the Xcarlink out from under the center console since it’s not long enough and there’s no easy way into the glove compartment or armrest. If you press firmly on the carpeted sides of the centre console then you can squeeze it through. I used the included adhesive tab in the box to fix it to the hard leather edge of the center console. 

Alex 

Hi Alex, Paul Frost at   Lexussparesdirect, known on here stocks new replacement subs. I bought one from him and he also fitted it. I’m sure he will have second hand door speakers in working order if that is your problem. Give him a call and good luck, Rgds, Roger

12 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Thanks for giving me the confidence Roger! 

Now I just need to replace the sub and since the audio still comes slightly more from the left I think that the right front door speaker needs replacing also, then it’s perfect! 

Alex 

Don't replace the sub, fix it, it is actually quite easy. I have just finished doing it. I have a spare foam surround if your interested. I did with about 3 hours work. 

Once I fixed the sub though then I heard a door speaker buzzing so will be doing that next. 

It honestly is much easier than the YouTube experts suggest. Just care and preparation and your sorted. 

Just now, RgrWynne said:

Hi Alex, Paul Frost at   Lexussparesdirect, known on here stocks new replacement subs. I bought one from him and he also fitted it. I’m sure he will have second hand door speakers in working order if that is your problem. Give him a call and good luck, Rgds, Roger

Thanks so much for the recommendation Roger. Will probably leave it until the summer holiday when I have lots of time on my hands. The speakers get blown so quickly despite never playing the music excessively that I'm in no rush to replace them just yet. I hope that the right speaker is at fault otherwise it could be the amp or bad wiring. Then again, the music in the gold LS is partial to the right hand side, so it could just be unique to each car but am pretty sure I didn't notice it until fairly recently. 

Alex 

4 minutes ago, Magrew said:

This is it finished

IMG_20180422_110757.jpg

Well done, It looks very nice! I imagine mine is completely torn ha ha! It's just taking the rear seats out to get to it that scares me. 

Do you think that it would last longer if i repaired it with good silicone and was very thorough?

No, it needs the full flexibility, I looked far and wide to find the correct m-section foam and ended up importing from Australia. It is an exact match for the original. 

In the pre-facelift the seats and rear parcel shelf are a little easier to remove, it took me an hour to remove and thirty minutes to put back with an extra pair of willing hands. 

I didn't remove the seat belts or the side trims, I just leaned the backs forward after removing the squab and the fastening nuts and slipped the parcel shelf out. 

It is an easy DIY. 

1 minute ago, Magrew said:

No, it needs the full flexibility, I looked far and wide to find the correct m-section foam and ended up importing from Australia. It is an exact match for the original. 

In the pre-facelift the seats and rear parcel shelf are a little easier to remove, it took me an hour to remove and thirty minutes to put back with an extra pair of willing hands. 

I didn't remove the seat belts or the side trims, I just leaned the backs forward after removing the squab and the fastening nuts and slipped the parcel shelf out. 

It is an easy DIY. 

To be honest I am becoming more and more tempted by aftermarket subs which will be more durable. The sub only plays the most distorted and muddy bass sounds so I don't imagine it would sound bad to have one non ML speaker. It would save a lot of work. I'm not very confident with DIY for anything expensive or luxurious, I probably couldn't trust myself in the Lexus. However, since repair is cheaper it is tempting. It's such a shame that you can't just unfasten the cover over the sub and remove it! 

Alex