Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS-F v' RC-F - Depreciation

I believe nobody can deny it is heavy, but then to be honest all Lexus'es are (maybe with exceptions of LFA). That is the price you pay for all luxury inside. And that is very true:

3 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

I don't think I would ever push the car enough to know the issues raised by the car journalists. 

...it might be an issue on the track or if you spoiled journalist used to drive Pagani Zondas and McLaren P1s, but for us those limitations are beyond of our ability and even further more away if we want to keep driving license. 

1 minute ago, Stuno1 said:

That's the trouble in the rcf I think you would. Hustling that much weight around B roads will be felt. 

Couldn't comment Stu, has anyone one been in one as a driver or passenger, would be interested to know. 

6 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Couldn't comment Stu, has anyone one been in one as a driver or passenger, would be interested to know. 

Me too. Especially compared to a isf which I loved on B roads.

• Like 1

It won't be shabby and 5th gear had it bearing the m4 in a number of tests on road and track. I like it and may well take one for a test when I come to change just think it's a bit fat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

It doesn't look to shabby in this.

Big Rat

Plenty of references to it feeling heavy and doesn't look as nimble as the BMW, but I still question how much would be experienced during average driving. Hopefully someone will tell us, otherwise maybe a test drive is in order.

Just now, Stuno1 said:

It won't be shabby and 5th gear had it bearing the m4 in a number of tests on road and track. I like it and may well take one for a test when I come to change just think it's a bit fat.

Yes she certainly has had her fair share of pies, wouldn't mind a steer myself one day, probably would still settle for a GSF though.

🐀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Plenty of references to it feeling heavy and doesn't look as nimble as the BMW, but I still question how much would be experienced during average driving. Hopefully someone will tell us, otherwise maybe a test drive is in order.

Yep 👍 

Well RC-F is actually just 60kg (ask you mate to get out if you about to race RC-F :D) heavier than IS-F, but has +50hp and +30Nm - that results in better power to weight ration. Additionally, has a much stiffer body and lower centre of gravity.. when it comes comparing it to BMW obviously it is not surprising they say it feel heavier etc, but comparing RC-F to IS-F I doubt the difference would be obvious, if possible to notice at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, emjay82 said:

Its fine in normal driving and you won't notice the extra weight unless really pushing - and I mean 3 figures on the B roads. 

The problems is more with its width, its hard to judge where the car sits on the road - its extremities are hard to see - don't really know why but I don't have this problem with my RX which is bigger. 

The manual M3 is a little bit scary IMO and a bit blunt - its got too much torque and the power delivery is peaky at best. Changed from 3rd to 2nd mid-corner and it threw the back end out so far I thought Id had it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Its fine in normal driving and you won't notice the extra weight unless really pushing - and I mean 3 figures on the B roads. 

The problems is more with its width, its hard to judge where the car sits on the road - its extremities are hard to see - don't really know why but I don't have this problem with my RX which is bigger. 

The manual M3 is a little bit scary IMO and a bit blunt - its got too much torque and the power delivery is peaky at best. Changed from 3rd to 2nd mid-corner and it threw the back end out so far I thought Id had it. 

Very interesting 👍, I assume you've driven one or been a passenger? Confirms what I've been thinking, don't think I would feel the so called issues which makes the RCF worth serious consideration when time for an upgrade. 

The weight of the rcf may be similar to the isf but it might feel heavier. For example the steering could be slower, the brakes softer and the suspension less direct. This could make it less fun than the isf, which I find very direct in all these areas. I'm just theorising here but big 4x4s and Bentleys can be made to feel lighter than they are by good tuning. 

It makes me think a modified rcf could be made in to a much better car than the reviews suggest, if you like that sort of thing... 😶

• Like 1

I bet the RCF is actually very good on the road as a GT. Too many reviews are track based. 

I never go on the track, never will.

What's the exhaust note like on the RCF?

Interesting stuff. If I bought an rcf I would have to slap on an exhaust and probably hangs the wheels as I don't like the stock ones at all. Depending on how it handled a set of coilovers and that would be job done. I will most likely test drive one. depreciation is a key for me. I don't finance my cars so use the funds in my current car to help with the next purchase. I sold the isf for what I bought it for 2 years later and my list is won't move much if at all in 3 years where as the rcf still has money to lose. 

Good topic is this one. 

• Like 2

Once my ISF is out of warranty, I'd certainly look at an RCF. I much prefer the look to a GSF.

Talking about exhausts, it is a shame that Lexus don't provide a sports exhaust. Would save faffing around looking for solutions from third parties :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is true.. maybe I applied too much of my personal preference here. I just like 2 door coupe body as a preferred shape for "fun car". But do you really mean "some people", because if that's the case then it is not a "major point". There always going to be some people who will make illogical decisions i.e. buys 2013 IS-F for £37k instead of 2015 RC-F, but generally they not going to affect the market, they just going to loose a lot of money in form of depreciation.

Someone that buys an IS-F for 37k clearly wants an IS-F and not a 2 door coupe even though it is a newer car, an RC-F is a completely different car to The IS-F and as such a decision to purchase one over the other irrespective of price cannot be classed illogical because you don't agree and would have chosen to spend your money on a different car

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I bet the RCF is actually very good on the road as a GT. Too many reviews are track based. 

I never go on the track, never will.

What's the exhaust note like on the RCF?

@Flytvr It does sound pretty good better than an isF but not quite as good as a Gsf.

Big Rat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

Interesting stuff. If I bought an rcf I would have to slap on an exhaust and probably hangs the wheels as I don't like the stock ones at all. Depending on how it handled a set of coilovers and that would be job done. I will most likely test drive one. depreciation is a key for me. I don't finance my cars so use the funds in my current car to help with the next purchase. I sold the isf for what I bought it for 2 years later and my list is won't move much if at all in 3 years where as the rcf still has money to lose. 

Good topic is this one. 

@rayaans On the point of wheels it's becoming popular in other markets to change the wheels which have become a popular buy  for isF owners, I'll try and find a pic they do look good.

Big Rat

I had an RC-F for a day as a courtesy car whilst my F was in for a service. Judging where the corners were didn't seem any harder than the IS-F and it was definitely more of an occasion to drive, seats were more comfortable than I expected. Not so sure about those doors in the car parks though as if I got one it would be replacing my F as my daily driver. It felt pretty positive on the road when I drove it, though I wasn't pushing it, definitely more of a GT than a track day special IMHO.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@rayaans On the point of wheels it's becoming popular in other markets to change the wheels which have become a popular buy  for isF owners, I'll try and find a pic they do look good.

Big Rat

@rayaans Here they are - 

IMG_2582.JPG.3655c174e4cab16bcb00f8f5d98dab19.JPGIMG_2583.thumb.JPG.1aa42e024075fd3915cda4790ea1abce.JPG

So you see @rayaans when you do get the RCF you can recoup some costs from members on here 😂

Big Rat

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JonP said:

I had an RC-F for a day as a courtesy car whilst my F was in for a service. Judging where the corners were didn't seem any harder than the IS-F and it was definitely more of an occasion to drive, seats were more comfortable than I expected. Not so sure about those doors in the car parks though as if I got one it would be replacing my F as my daily driver. It felt pretty positive on the road when I drove it, though I wasn't pushing it, definitely more of a GT than a track day special IMHO.

So I think I can conclude that the RCF has been reviewed primarily on the track which has LED the journalists to give negative reviews, in reality it's a perfectly good F car for normal driving, offering good value thanks to those journalists 👍.  The GSF is probably a better all-rounder and good on the track, hence the rave reviews and will therefore hold its value. 

• Like 1

After 33,000 mles driving the IS-F and 13,500 in the RC-F, I have found the RC-F to feel faster in almost all road conditions, except the wet. It also has a greater sense of occasion and is no problem in car parks. The back seats are a little tight though.

The RC-F does not feel heavier to me, possibly due to the improved power to weight ratio. I also prefer the steering, which is heavier. The IS-F did feel a little less attached to the road in a corner, which I imagine translates in the eyes of journalists into a looser back end and more drift potential.

The biggest improvement is the ride; it is a step change better.

I would love to get back in an IS-F to see if my memory is playing tricks on me. Now I've really fallen for the RC-F, there is a risk all sorts of biases have taken over. I've even decided not to swap it for an Alfa Quadrofoglio for at least another 2 years; it si that good. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

After 33,000 mles driving the IS-F and 13,500 in the RC-F, I have found the RC-F to feel faster in almost all road conditions, except the wet. It also has a greater sense of occasion and is no problem in car parks. The back seats are a little tight though.

The RC-F does not feel heavier to me, possibly due to the improved power to weight ratio. I also prefer the steering, which is heavier. The IS-F did feel a little less attached to the road in a corner, which I imagine translates in the eyes of journalists into a looser back end and more drift potential.

The biggest improvement is the ride; it is a step change better.

I would love to get back in an IS-F to see if my memory is playing tricks on me. Now I've really fallen for the RC-F, there is a risk all sorts of biases have taken over. I've even decided not to swap it for an Alfa Quadrofoglio for at least another 2 years; it si that good. 

Great to get an owners view, especially having come from an ISF. 👍 

32 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

The Quadrofoglio is another car I've been looking at lately. There's absolutely no chance I'd be able to buy it for at least 2 years but, in my opinion, that's a good thing. In addition to significant depreciation, I'd like to see some reviews after 1-2 years regarding the reliability and teething problems encountered, if any.

• Like 1