Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS-F v' RC-F - Depreciation

28 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

After 33,000 mles driving the IS-F and 13,500 in the RC-F, I have found the RC-F to feel faster in almost all road conditions, except the wet. It also has a greater sense of occasion and is no problem in car parks. The back seats are a little tight though.

The RC-F does not feel heavier to me, possibly due to the improved power to weight ratio. I also prefer the steering, which is heavier. The IS-F did feel a little less attached to the road in a corner, which I imagine translates in the eyes of journalists into a looser back end and more drift potential.

The biggest improvement is the ride; it is a step change better.

I would love to get back in an IS-F to see if my memory is playing tricks on me. Now I've really fallen for the RC-F, there is a risk all sorts of biases have taken over. I've even decided not to swap it for an Alfa Quadrofoglio for at least another 2 years; it si that good. 

@MNMJ Thanx for posting that it's interesting to get an owners perspective and not just some journalist in the pay of somebody or other thrapping  a car that doesn't belong to them with fuel and tyres they didn't pay for.Just waiting for a Gsf owner now to come along and give us a day to day living view.

Big Rat

5 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I wonder who on here will be the first to jump ship into the 'R' or the 'G' if it continues..... any guesses 🤔

🐀

I've spent all my money on wheels so count me out, maybe 2019/2020...  

• Like 1

Personally, can't really justify (or fancy) paying more than £25,000, so could largely depend on the rate the prices drop. Not many ISF's owners go past two/three years it seems. 

5 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Personally, can't really justify (or fancy) paying more than £25,000, so could largely depend on the rate the prices drop. Not many ISF's owners go past two/three years it seems. 

I agree both on the 25k and the ownership time span, the warranty probably has a bearing on it, lot of people like to change after the 2-3 years.

🐀

4 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I agree both on the 25k and the ownership time span, the warranty probably has a bearing on it, lot of people like to change after the 2-3 years.

🐀

A couple of owners have now told me that they have the warranty ending after the ten year birthday, @Chuckie478 was one of them. So, could be possible to add the warranty for another 2 years to Feb 2020 for me. If not, might make me sell or upgrade to a newer ISF. Warranty Wise is expensive,  £800+ per year, last time I looked. 

7 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

A couple of owners have now told me that they have the warranty ending after the ten year birthday, @Chuckie478 was one of them. So, could be possible to add the warranty for another 2 years to Feb 2020 for me. If not, might make me sell or upgrade to a newer ISF. Warranty Wise is expensive,  £800+ per year, last time I looked. 

They were offering two years for the price of one a month or so ago, and I'm pretty sure at the end of last year also.

up to ten years and 150k I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

I'm still debating what car to go for but, were I to go for the IS-F, I've been trying to decide between a newer model that I can put a warranty on or an older, cheaper, model.

My conclusion, perhaps incorrectly, is that even with the budget for a newer model and the money for the two year warranty from lexus, I'm best going for the older model and setting the difference aside for issues, should they arise.

If warranty is your main reason for upgrading, would similar logic apply - or are you looking for the others perks, such as slightly softer suspension, too?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Yes it can be a quandary, it's not like running a little 1.0 litre petrol Fiesta, mine runs till February 2019 so I shall have her till then and consider my options.

Big Rat

• Like 1

Just now, Big Rat said:

Yes it can be a quandary, it's not like running a little 1.0 litre petrol Fiesta, mine runs till February 2019 so I shall have her till then and consider my options.

Big Rat

I wouldn't run an IS-F without a warranty. If you can get one outside of the Lexus dealerships and then get a Lexus warranty on it, sorted, happy days :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronaldo said:

I'm still debating what car to go for but, were I to go for the IS-F, I've been trying to decide between a newer model that I can put a warranty on or an older, cheaper, model.

My conclusion, perhaps incorrectly, is that even with the budget for a newer model and the money for the two year warranty from lexus, I'm best going for the older model and setting the difference aside for issues, should they arise.

If warranty is your main reason for upgrading, would similar logic apply - or are you looking for the others perks, such as slightly softer suspension, too?

Suspension doesn't bother me, don't know what all the fuss is about. I might call Lexus and ask about the warranty past 10 years. Even putting aside alot of money, if something big goes on a car like this, it won't cover it. Chances are it would be fine but I'm risk averse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

They were offering two years for the price of one a month or so ago, and I'm pretty sure at the end of last year also.

up to ten years and 150k I think.

@lockeyboy They still are Bristol Lexus emailed me three days ago regarding that and a service plan offer.

Big Rat

• Like 1

Just now, Flytvr said:

I wouldn't run an IS-F without a warranty. If you can get one outside of the Lexus dealerships and then get a Lexus warranty on it, sorted, happy days :)

@Flytvr I would never consider running this type of car without the Lexus warranty.

🐀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@lockeyboy They still are Bristol Lexus emailed me three days ago regarding that and a service plan offer.

Big Rat

I don't think Bristol Lexus like me. I never get any marketing information from them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Suspension doesn't bother me, don't know what all the fuss is about. I might call Lexus and ask about the warranty past 10 years. Even putting aside alot of money, if something big goes on a car like this, it won't cover it. Chances are it would be fine but I'm risk averse. 

TBF the warranty is quite comprehensive - apart from the obvious wear and tear stuff.

They don't quibble with much (my dealer doesn't anyway)

• Like 2

Just now, Flytvr said:

I don't think Bristol Lexus like me. I've never got any marketing information from them.

@Flytvr you've burnt all your warranty bridges there mate, I hear they hide the coffee and cakes when you pull up on the forecourt now 😂

🐀

• Like 3

Just now, Big Rat said:

@Flytvr you've burnt all your warranty bridges there mate, I hear they hide the coffee and cakes when you pull up on the forecourt now 😂

🐀

I don't believe anyone who said they've seen cake at Bristol Lexus. I don't think they even have bottled water anymore. Not that I expect any freebies.

I would be very nervous driving without the warranty and would probably make me switch early. It runs out Feb 2018, hopefully Lexus will offer a further year or two, otherwise maybe an alternative warranty supplier until the right F comes up!

Just now, Big Rat said:

Big Rat

Bearing in mind my youthful 19 and 20 year old v8's are still running, you can see how they'll still make money too!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Flytvr I would never consider running this type of car without the Lexus warranty.

🐀

I would!

Tend to be pretty bulletproof compared to the E90 M3 etc. The problems they have are unreal, even the lesser 3 series which seem to have turbos and water pumps popping left, right and center. 

Although I have to say, I had my RX300 8 years and nothing went on it, my current one is 5 years old and no problems and the IS300h is going to be 4 this year and again, no problems.

I must have too much faith!

• Like 1

Just now, Flytvr said:

I don't believe anyone who said they've seen cake at Bristol Lexus. I don't think they even have bottled water anymore. Not that I expect any freebies.

@Flytvr So I'm right then last service 3 coffees 2 slices of flapjack and a bottle of water in each front door pocket 😘

🐀

1 minute ago, lockeyboy said:

Bearing in mind my youthful 19 and 20 year old v8's are still running, you can see how they'll still make money too!

@lockeyboy Stop that right away if I'd learnt about this manufacturer years ago I'd be a wealthy man, ah well there it is I'm happy now😊 

Big Rat

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links