Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS-F v' RC-F - Depreciation

13 hours ago, Mark G said:

Someone that buys an IS-F for 37k clearly wants an IS-F and not a 2 door coupe even though it is a newer car, an RC-F is a completely different car to The IS-F and as such a decision to purchase one over the other irrespective of price cannot be classed illogical because you don't agree and would have chosen to spend your money on a different car

If somebody really wants IS-F there is no reason to spend £37k, you can get loved car for just over £20k... ant it pretty much maxes out at around £28k. Then the only extra you can get are miles (which doesn't really matter if car is serviced) and years (again doesn't matter if we talking about 2011-2013 cars).

3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I would!

Tend to be pretty bulletproof compared to the E90 M3 etc. The problems they have are unreal, even the lesser 3 series which seem to have turbos and water pumps popping left, right and center. 

Although I have to say, I had my RX300 8 years and nothing went on it, my current one is 5 years old and no problems and the IS300h is going to be 4 this year and again, no problems.

I must have too much faith!

There's no problem with having faith you are clearly experienced with and have faith in the product.

I'm still on the learning curve, so far so good but I think @Flytvr may just disagree about not having the warranty.

🐀

• Like 2

I must admit mine is out of warranty, I don't have any sleepless night, don't get me wrong I can see the benefits, look at @Flytvr issue with the steering rack, if he had to shell out his own money on that it may have soured the ownership experience somewhat, this is my 4th Lexus and I have ran all of them outside the warranty without a single failure, maybe I am tempting fate, I don't know, how much is a warranty on the IS-F anyway...............????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

I must admit mine is out of warranty, I don't have any sleepless night, don't get me wrong I can see the benefits, look at @Flytvr issue with the steering rack, if he had to shell out his own money on that it may have soured the ownership experience somewhat, this is my 4th Lexus and I have ran all of them outside the warranty without a single failure, maybe I am tempting fate, I don't know, how much is a warranty on the IS-F anyway...............????

@Mark G Had email from Lexus Bristol 4 days ago now £895.00 for two years.

Big Rat

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

Chances are, the warranty wouldn't be needed but it's the potential £3-4k + bills, like Flytvr had, which would really hurt. As you say, it would tarnish the ownership experience. With the warranty, it's giving me the "new car peace of mind" feeling which I like. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Hmmm at that price it is worth considering.

@Mark G I think it's worth considering matey with yours being a later one you have the opportunity of comfortably enjoying her for longer without the nagging doubts of @Flytvr sized bills 🤔

Big Rat

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Mark G I think it's worth considering matey with yours being a later one you have the opportunity of comfortably enjoying her for longer without the nagging doubts of @Flytvr sized bills 🤔

Big Rat

That makes sense. The warranty doesn't differ in price whether your vehicle is 3 years old or 10 but one would think that, statistically speaking, it represents much better value during those final years in which it's offered.

The point I was trying to make earlier with regards to a potential buyer is that, given the choice next year between a £15000 2008 that you cannot purchase a warranty for or an £18000 2009 that you can, you could not dismiss someone as crazy for choosing the 2008 and putting £3000 (plus the £895 cost of the warranty) aside as a sinking fund for potential repairs - to which you could add your further £895 every 2 years.

My thoughts are that, if a potential purchaser sees a Lexus warranty as a must-have for their IS-F, then they should seriously consider looking elsewhere unless they expect their ownership period for a 2010 model not to exceed 3 years, a 2011 model not to exceed 4 years and so on.

On another note, that 2009 model with 45,000 miles seems a good bargain at £17,990. It was up at £21,995, dropped to £19,995 and now to its current price.

• Like 3

I just have a quick question regarding warranty - is the 10 year limitation based on the date you purchase the warranty? Basically, if you own a 2008 car and purchase the warranty today, does it run out on 30/3/2019 or does it run out when the car is 10 years old at some point next year?

• Like 1

I've been looking into this, got quoted the same £895 for one year and they will give me another for year for free.  You can get a full 2 years even if your car is 9yrs 11 months old on the day you take out the policy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

Big Rat

Yes I know what you are saying, if I swap the car for a GS-F when the warranty runs out I will have a reasonable amount of equity in mine, especially with it being the faster and more desirable blue model......................if you get what I mean:yes:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Yes I know what you are saying, if I swap the car for a GS-F when the warranty runs out I will have a reasonable amount of equity in mine, especially with it being the faster and more desirable blue model......................if you get what I mean:yes:

@Mark G ok I give in now I get it 😂

🐀

5 hours ago, ronaldo said:

I just have a quick question regarding warranty - is the 10 year limitation based on the date you purchase the warranty? Basically, if you own a 2008 car and purchase the warranty today, does it run out on 30/3/2019 or does it run out when the car is 10 years old at some point next year?

It's at the point you purchase it....so in theory if you get the 2 year warranty right before it's 10th birthday then it will run until the car is just shy of 12 years old.

• Like 1

I think the depreciation of the IS-F Is on par with the Jag XFR....can get early models of both for mid teens now whereas the equivalent C63 or M3 is a few grand more. 

A lot will depend on mileage and service history.  A higher mileage E46 M3 can be had for under £10k, so I expect the IS-F will drop to this level at some point before creeping back up as the numbers fall, the lower mileage/full main dealer history M3's are holding low to mid teens so the equivalent IS-F should too. 

Its a rarer car than the others which is a plus, but also doesn't get the same coverage so goes under the radar for potential C63 and M3 buyers. 

If you look at models such as the Clio V6, E36 M3 and Impreza P1, they have doubled, even tripled, in price over the past decade. I think cars such as the IS-F, Monaro, RS4 etc will eventually follow suit.

2 hours ago, Tom24 said:

It's at the point you purchase it....so in theory if you get the 2 year warranty right before it's 10th birthday then it will run until the car is just shy of 12 years old.

When I extended my warranty in January I had 6 weeks left to run so they postdated it to start when the current one ran out. 

Considering they keep doing warranty deals I wonder what's stopping you from just buying several at the same time and let them run one after the other. 

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Average price of an IS-F - £23.5K

Average price of a C63 - £29K

Average price of a V8 M3  - £24K

Is that all C63s or just the 6.2l NA one?  Any idea how RS4s do?

• Like 1

I got 3 years gap insurance when I bought mine anyway.....so might just leave it til a week before that runs out then push it off a cliff if prices keep dropping haha. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom24 said:

Thats true - yes, the warranty has to be bought before 10 years or 140k.

However - and this is where it gets interesting - once you've bought the warranty for 2 years (before its 10th birthday), you can keep extending it for as long as you wish. Or so Ive been told anyway

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Thats true - yes, the warranty has to be bought before 10 years or 140k.

However - and this is where it gets interesting - once you've bought the warranty for 2 years (before its 10th birthday), you can keep extending it for as long as you wish. Or so Ive been told anyway

It's very good and must show their confidence in the build quality of all their cars. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emjay82 said:

It's very good and must show their confidence in the build quality of all their cars. 

Forgot to add, the main caveat is that you have to get the car serviced by them - so does it work out cost effective? Probably not if its 10 years old and they're charging £800 odd quid a service! 

But of course, if you do get a big bill you'll be covered!

31 minutes ago, Chuckie478 said:

When I extended my warranty in January I had 6 weeks left to run so they postdated it to start when the current one ran out. 

Considering they keep doing warranty deals I wonder what's stopping you from just buying several at the same time and let them run one after the other. 

That C63 price is spot my mate up the road has decided to get out of his Black C63 Coupe 30k mikes for 28.5 K

Big RatIMG_1748.thumb.JPG.3e87092ffbf07c75d4fc021189cd298c.JPG

29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Forgot to add, the main caveat is that you have to get the car serviced by them - so does it work out cost effective? Probably not if its 10 years old and they're charging £800 odd quid a service! 

But of course, if you do get a big bill you'll be covered!

Would always have it Lexus serviced, the service plans aren't too bad. Does it have to be serviced by the same dealership you buy the warranty from, I assume not? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie478 said:

All those stats are based on the same age cars i.e for as long as the IS-F has been around.

I'll check when I am back in the office re RS4, but I seem to recall it is the weakest out of the bunch.

10 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Would always have it Lexus serviced, the service plans aren't too bad. Does it have to be serviced by the same dealership you buy the warranty from, I assume not? 

@emjay82 No it doesn't any dealer can wield the spammers, carefully hopefully 😏

😏

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links