Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS Head Unit Warranty claim...

I posted a while ago regarding my sat nav / multimedia screen which had not been dimming when the autolights come on... well Lexus have had my car for coming up to a week now and they called me yesterday with an update.

Service to this stage has been great - they have loaned me a brand new IS Sport whilst they work on mine and given regualr updates so i can't fault them for that.

However I will offer some background as they have now advised of the options to rectify the issue.

Before purchasing my car the ML head unit had been removed and used for another customer's car who had a faulty unit.  Fine as I hadn't bought the car at this stage and the dealership confirmed that a brand new unit had been ordered and would be fitted for me upon sale - all good so far.

2 months into ownership and i couldn't find the function to dim the screen - the function simply wasn't there no matter what menu i went through and the brightness of the screen when driving at night (especially on unlit roads) was very distracting.  Even turning the map screen off didn't cure the issue as the overall dimming function was not working - only solution was to turn the screen off which isn't ideal.

Anyway the car went in for them to diagnose and Lexus GB had to get involved as this glitch was news to the dealership and technicians.  The dealership have confirmed yesterday that the replacement head unit which was fitted was for a Premier and not an F Sport (both have premium Nav)  apparently this is what the error is and why the dimming function isn't working.  So basically someone has ordered the wrong unit if this is actually the case (i am a little skeptical however?)

The dealership are saying that if they order a replacement head unit this (may) solve it however they can't say for sure and they are hesititating becuase the new unit from warranty will cost circa £8,000 including VAT.  This is obviously a cost which the dealership must stand.  They have said that they cannot exchange the current unit for new as it is used and they are saying the same if a new unit @ £8k doesn't cure the issue they cannot return this either as it will have been fitted before.  (Again i am a little skeptical about this- after all it is Lexus own warranty company and if the situation was explained properly then there should be a way around this?)

As a result they are reluctant to order a new unit and have suggested alternative options;

1.  I live with the fault and they offer some form of compensation.  Thing is the car is a company purchased vehicle so any compensation will go to the company and not myself who has been inconvenienced.

2. They buy a car identical to mine from the Lexus network with the correct head unit and swap them over.   This seems excessive however the dealer says that this would cost them considerably less just replacing the head unit.  Main issue with this is how long it will take....

Dealership have confirmed that they agree none of this is my issue as all functions are expected to work and the car is under warranty still.  My issue is that i simply want it to work as it should and I am patient about it.

Just wanted to put this out to the masses to see if anyone has any thoughts?  Am I being fickle if I insist on replacement head unit after all they say it isn't guaranteed to work!  but they could be saying that to throw me off....

Over to you.... 

I can't see how putting a Premier unit instead of an F-Sport unit would make much difference - as you say, both have premium nav and I would assume the unit is exactly the same

I dont know what you've done so far so hence :

1) Make sure the headlights are set to auto - the screen dims automatically when the headlights turn on if too dark. There is a chance that they haven't wired it up properly to do this though as it will most likely be connected to the light switch somehow.

2) If someone has turned the headlight on and customised the screen to "Day Mode" it will memorize the setting and therefore the "Day mode" (bright mode) will remain on all the time. Worth checking this to make sure.

• Like 1

Assuming that you noticed the problem and reported it early into ownership, and given the time it is taking to fix it, I would expect to be offered an exchange with a car of similar spec and mileage.

Maybe it is time for you to seek (free at this stage) legal advice: your company lawyers may be able to help, the Citizen Advice Bureau, or even an organisation like the AA. You could mention to Lexus that you are doing so, not in a threatening manner, but so that they know you are not just going to take what they are telling you for granted.

You could also mention that you are considering writing to motoring magazines (Top Gear or the like) to seek advice. I am sure that it will help your case as no manufacturer wants to see negative consumer reviews in mass publications.

One last suggestion would be to send a letter, recorded delivery, to the head of Lexus UK with a few bullet points and your intended actions.

I can add that this approach has worked for me in the past (with Mitsubishi at the time) and that a long standing issue was resolved within 3 days. I also got additional compensatiion for the inconvenience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

I can't see how putting a Premier unit instead of an F-Sport unit would make much difference - as you say, both have premium nav and I would assume the unit is exactly the same

I dont know what you've done so far so hence :

1) Make sure the headlights are set to auto - the screen dims automatically when the headlights turn on if too dark. There is a chance that they haven't wired it up properly to do this though as it will most likely be connected to the light switch somehow.

2) If someone has turned the headlight on and customised the screen to "Day Mode" it will memorize the setting and therefore the "Day mode" (bright mode) will remain on all the time. Worth checking this to make sure.

Cheers for the input and yes i have been through the entire scenario of auto light settings and dashboard brightness etc.  The function which is missing is the day / night mode - it is stuck in day mode with no option to change to night mode.

When driving at night the dashboard instruments dim as they should when the light sensor asks them to but the central display doesn't change.  So the light sensor is doing it's job but the central screen isn't responding - it is as thought the option of day/night mode has not been programmed into the current head unit.

Edit to say that Lexus technicians have been through all options they can think of even down to testing the individual functions of the wiring harness for the head unit apparently....

1 hour ago, Smithy2 said:

Cheers for the input and yes i have been through the entire scenario of auto light settings and dashboard brightness etc.  The function which is missing is the day / night mode - it is stuck in day mode with no option to change to night mode.

When driving at night the dashboard instruments dim as they should when the light sensor asks them to but the central display doesn't change.  So the light sensor is doing it's job but the central screen isn't responding - it is as thought the option of day/night mode has not been programmed into the current head unit.

Edit to say that Lexus technicians have been through all options they can think of even down to testing the individual functions of the wiring harness for the head unit apparently....

You can check that yourself by going on Menu, Display (right hand top corner) and then turn headlight on and see if "Daylight mode" is still lit up. If it is turn it off.

This will control the screen only and not the other buttons

Id be pretty surprised if they checked everything - some of them don't know about how simple features work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smithy2 said:

The dealership are saying that if they order a replacement head unit this (may) solve it however they can't say for sure and they are hesititating becuase the new unit from warranty will cost circa £8,000 including VAT.  

This is absolutely BS, there is no way on this planet a head unit will cost £8K on something like a IS. The huge 17inch touch screen on our Tesla cost £3.5K to replace out of warranty direct from Tesla.

What on earth were they doing stripping a car they had sold/selling for parts when they can just order the part from Lexus. 

You bought a car in good faith, it's under warranty, it's up to the dealer to sort out what ever mess they have created. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ganzoom said:

This is absolutely BS, there is no way on this planet a head unit will cost £8K on something like a IS. The huge 17inch touch screen on our Tesla cost £3.5K to replace out of warranty direct from Tesla.

What on earth were they doing stripping a car they had sold/selling for parts when they can just order the part from Lexus. 

You bought a car in good faith, it's under warranty, it's up to the dealer to sort out what ever mess they have created. 

I believe that price would include labour as well which the dealer would be invoicing to Lexus UK.

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I believe that price would include labour as well which the dealer would be invoicing to Lexus UK.

£8K to do what exactly, even BMW only quoted me £4K to replace turbos including labour. 

You have to be living on a different planet if you think £8K is the going rate to replace a infotainment unit on a car, and if it is the going rate accepted by their customers than Lexus must be laughing their way to the bank. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

£8K to do what exactly, even BMW only quoted me £4K to replace turbos including labour. 

You have to be living on a different planet if you think £8K is the going rate to replace a infotainment unit on a car, and if it is the going rate accepted by their customers than Lexus must be laughing their way to the bank. 

I suspect they're probably changing the whole dashboard if they don't know what it is

On 30/03/2017 at 8:00 PM, rayaans said:

I suspect they're probably changing the whole dashboard if they don't know what it is

If they are then they really don't have a clue what they are doing !!!

In this instance i agree with Ganzoom 8k for a head unit is an absurd amount, even including labour. 

If i was the dealership i think i would be trying to get hold of another car with the same sound system (looks like ML) and then trying an exchange between the cars, if it's proven that it's the head unit then they can just order a new one under warranty. 

Your point 2 suggestion makes me smile, so they would obtain another vehicle with the correct head unit and put this part in yours then do what?

Put the defective one in the donor car and hope the new owner of that fails to notice the same problem?

Also makes me wonder why your vehicle was used as a donor for another faulty ML unit.

• Like 1

You can take the head unit out of the IS in about an hour, so the labour charge isn't going to be near a £1k and the new ML unit also isn't going to be close to that figure, I guess about £1500.

If the car dash dims when the lights come on, then the sensor works and is signalling through the dash to the dimmer. It could be something stupid like a cable break or not correctly connected at the back of the dash to the head unit, so it isn't picking up the correct signal. I can't remember seeing an option in the head unit settings for day/night graphics etc. 

Dealers will do strange and morally wrong things more often than not. On my last IS I kicked up a fuss about getting an old Sat Nav sd card with it. Eventually it was swapped to a newer one from a car in the showroom. Someone else had the issue then......

So is it rotine practice for Lexus dealers to canalise their own show room/used car stock for parts rather than just order in new parts?? The words cowboys come to mind :). 

Update;

Lexus have now said that the H/U they "should" have fitted to my car which was installed in a premier model has been tracked down.  The other customer (in London) has been contacted and they are apparently happy for my stereo to be swapped with theirs to rectify the issue.

I am still very skeptical about there being any difference between F Sport and Premier editions of the ML unit.  What is amusing is that the dealer tried to tell me that the Premier version is slightly louder then the F Sport!?   

I conceded that this is very far fetched but I suppose i have to let them try to source another one to test (apparently they are thin on the ground...)

With regards the price of a new unit - i fully agree that the £6,500 + VAT price for ML system is very high and i am going to ask for written proof of this.  However if the retail prices for ML home stereo systems are anything to go by it might actually be correct... check this link http://www.karma-av.co.uk/assets/_managed/Price lists/mark levinson 2017 retail price list.pdf

So as it stands I am currently waiting for them to arrange the swap of stereos over and let me know when the drop the car off again.

Should I just ask them to replace under warranty or have a external auto electrician look at the dimming function perhaps?

The longer this drags on the more trivial problem it seems but it should work! 

On 4/2/2017 at 3:47 AM, ganzoom said:

So is it rotine practice for Lexus dealers to canalise their own show room/used car stock for parts rather than just order in new parts?? The words cowboys come to mind :). 

The dealer had already removed the ML unit from the car when i first when to view it before buying - they were already in the process of installing in the other customer's car.  So when i test drove there was no stereo / sat nav etc.  They simply assured me that it would be replaced...  from what they are saying this is where the issue started because the "wrong" model was installed.....?

On the subject of price for ML;

I have just checked with another dealer and the price for a non-exchange unit is; £6,431.00 + VAT   / On an exchange basis is it £1,931.40 + VAT.

The Bradford dealer never mentioned the exchange option so i will be inquiring if this is available - seems reasonable given that there is some glitch with the current unit.

15 hours ago, Smithy2 said:

I have just checked with another dealer and the price for a non-exchange unit is; £6,431.00 + VAT   / On an exchange basis is it £1,931.40 + VAT.

The Bradford dealer never mentioned the exchange option so i will be inquiring if this is available - seems reasonable given that there is some glitch with the current unit.

£6k+vat for a headunit that looks like it was programmed by a bunch of 10 years using a BBC micro running basic...

Flip no wonder the IS costs almost the same to insure as the Model X!!!

That's the final nail in the coffin for our IS, no way am I keeping a car that costs so much in parts longterm.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2017 at 0:39 PM, Smithy2 said:

I don't understand what the issue is here. If the car is under the original warranty then surely it is down to the dealer to sort it out if it is faulty. Seems like they have brought this situation on themselves by cannibalising sales cars. Do Lexus UK know that this is the case I wonder ?  This all sounds like the dealer hasn't complied with the warranty system put in place by the manufacturer and now is trying to wriggle out of the situation they have created. They probably can't exchange your unit with Lexus because the serial numbers don't match the unit fitted when your car was built. I wonder if the unit currently in your car came from a 'Grey' source and not the official network.?

I find this unbelievable. Sounds more like Uncle Henrys workshop than a Lexus Dealership.

If this would have been my car i would go ballistic as this sounds so wrong on all fronts.

First it is the dealers problem and NOT yours Marc. I would not give a toss if the dealer will have to spend 8, 8000 or 80.000 to set the matter right. The car is under full Lexus warranty and they simply have make it work. Never let the dealers problem become your problem.

Second, ripping parts from another car to install in yours instead of going through the official Lexus channels sounds like fraud to me. Might be interesting to politely inform them you dont know what to do and send their proposals to Lexus headquarters for advice.. 

I don't understand what the issue is here. If the car is under the original warranty then surely it is down to the dealer to sort it out if it is faulty. Seems like they have brought this situation on themselves by cannibalising sales cars. Do Lexus UK know that this is the case I wonder ?  This all sounds like the dealer hasn't complied with the warranty system put in place by the manufacturer and now is trying to wriggle out of the situation they have created. They probably can't exchange your unit with Lexus because the serial numbers don't match the unit fitted when your car was built. I wonder if the unit currently in your car came from a 'Grey' source and not the official network.?

Probably best to contact Lexus UK head office and make them aware of this debacle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently bought an IS 300h Executive 64 plate and also noticed the nav screen didn't dim at night. Reading everything I realised it should and so went on the hunt for the settings but couldn't find the option to have it dim at night - it just stayed in day time mode. Turned the headlights lights on and looked again and still couldn't find the option. Eventually I discovered that the option only becomes available when it is DARK outside - it has nothing to do with switching the headlights on. I covered the light sensor (left hand side of dashboard) and hey presto the elusive setting was in the menu during daylight and I could switch it on and off and all works now. I just post this as it frustrated me for a few days trying to get this to work... I would have assumed the factory default is to dim at night but as my car was purchased 2nd hand maybe it had been changed.

• Like 4