Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would You Ever Consider Driving Without Insurance?

Fidgits

Would you ever consider driving without insurance?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever consider driving without insurance?

• No, Never, if I couldnt afford it, I would walk
    • I'd think about it, but wouldnt actually do it
    • If prices became silly (>5k) then its possible
    • I'd consider it in the near future
    • Its quite likely I might
    • At this rate, I might have to
    • I am already driving without insurance

im still a believer that insurance should be a government thing like our taxes, im getting fed up of greedy companies just picking a figure out of the air for a quote!

I wish that insurance was also connected to a car via the tax disc, so that the govenment know who has tax and if they are insured! in the end it isnt difficult to fake an insurance document to show to a "not to bright post office lady" to get your tax is it?

Also if the govenment ran the insurance company then with the sheer amount of revenue they would bring in then the prices would drop, and also in some ways i support the idea of having cars "tagged" with electronic transponders so they can track if a car is on the road or not. again link that in with insurance and tax computers and we would soon kill off the idiotic breed of pepole who dont think its their responsability to pay for their actions.

(altho there would be the whole "big brother" issue about tracking)

Also there should be public shaming and beatings of all who drive without tax and insurance (perhaps bring back the stocks in the middle of the village with rotten vegetables etc to throw at them)

The greatest problem with uninsured drivers is a lot of them have nothing to lose. Let's face it, there are two things that most of us take into account before we break the law.

a) The likelihood of being caught.

B) The punishment if you should be caught.

Remember any punishment can be moral as well as financial.

Take two simple examples. Speeding and Drink-driving.

Most of us will be guilty of the first. Very few (I hope) guilty of the second. Why?

Simply a drink-driving offence has a greater chance of being detected and the punishment (Fine/loss of licence/loss of job/moral pressure - particularly if you have an accident) is far greater.

With insurance, it seems that the detection is not the problem, so what do most of those driving without insurance have to lose?

They have little money, so a fine will have little effect.

Their car? Well, if they are driving an old banger, crushing it will pain them little and cost the taxpayer money. In some circles, the number of cars crushed will probably add to their kudos.

Their freedom? To some offenders, this is preferable to their present accomodation. And before I get lambasted as a 'left wing softie', just ask yourselves, what will happen when they get out? (After costing us, as taxpayers, a small fortune for the privilige of staying behind bars) Exactly, repeat offences.

As I see it, the only way to reverse the trend is to give them something to lose.

(i.e. a job.) If all their peers were in work, then a non-contributer to the group would soon lose his status.

As an example, take the Gold membership in this club. Everyone likes to be helpful, but Gold membership is a way of putting something back in. Why should all the benefits of the club be available to everyone, even those who contribute nothing?

The point I am tring to make is: When you join a club, the main questions to be asked is "What's in it for me?", and "Are the restriction/conditions for membership worth the cost?" Once you are a member, a decision to violate those rules is based upon the cost to yourself. If this cost is great enough, the rule will remain unviolated.

The club membership approves the rules and approves any changes. We have to view the communities that the insurance dodgers come from as clubs and get them to amend their rules.

Phew. Does that make sense? :unsure:

And before anyone brands me as a pacifist, I still subscribe to the 'You toucha my car, I smasha your face' school.' It's just I occasionally put my 'try to be sensible here' hat on... :)

Yep, well said shotwood!

The Germans insure the car not the driver. It appered to work well when I spent some time there over the last four years.

I dunno if any of you have noticed on German plates, they have two small coloured circles in the middle, one above the other. Well one of them is the MOT and the other is the insurance. They are colour coded for calendar validity. I'm not sure what the fine is, but I'm told that they are very harsh! Can't be that difficult!

What about all the people who do insure their car but because they dont comply with the insurance regulations i.e. car tax or MOT they are not technically insured like the T.w.a.t next door to me who has been done twice but still refuses to have a legal roadworthey car.

Like people have said its the systems fault, its ok saying other countries have better systems but are we trying to say they dont have a problem either? bet they do because people will always find a way round paying for something they dont want to!

Question is what do we do about it its ok to say cut their arms off or poke their eyes out but it wont ever happen so what do we do. I think the fine way is the best way as people dont like to lose money if they have no money then take possessions as its the next best thing to money, After that what ? public humilliation has to be favorite but how?

What about all the people who do insure their car but because they dont comply with the insurance regulations i.e. car tax or MOT they are not technically insured like the T.w.a.t next door to me who has been done twice but still refuses to have a legal roadworthey car.

Like people have said its the systems fault, its ok saying other countries have better systems but are we trying to say they dont have a problem either? bet they do because people will always find a way round paying for something they dont want to!

Question is what do we do about it its ok to say cut their arms off or poke their eyes out but it wont ever happen so what do we do. I think the fine way is the best way as people dont like to lose money if they have no money then take possessions as its the next best thing to money, After that what ? public humilliation has to be favorite but how?

Public Humiliation can be in the form of a front page article in the local paper, and papers in the surrounding areas.

Surely that would be enough to get them to keep their heads down for a while

NaaN

Moved over here from the Republic of Ireland 5 years ago and amazed that only tax discs are displayed in the window. At home in Ireland you have to have TAX, INSURANCE and MOT discs in the window.

How hard can it be to introduce the same rules here?

my parents lived in cork for 2 years, when I was over there, I thought :tsktsk: me the Irish have up a brilliant idea ;) Def needs to introduced here!!!! doubt we will see it tho :angry:

SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!

Just heard on the news, and un-insured driver who knocked down and killed a child has just been sentanced to 2 years in prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is shocking!!!!

He would of got longer if he'd broken into their house and stole their TV!!!!!!!!

What is this country coming to!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just heard on the news, and un-insured driver who knocked down and killed a child has just been sentanced to 2 years in prison

That's bad....

Wonder how much of the sentence is for manslaughter..

and how much for driving uninsured..

You can bet the latter is completely overlooked :angry:

It really winds me up, because they are on about increasing insurance premiums because of the amount of UNinsured drivers on the roads.

And you think the council tax you pay for the police isn't the same thing? We pay for the police, the courts and the prisons without committing the crime.

This is what 'Crime Doesn't Pay' means.