Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Glassed off

Hi people new to this so put me right if I'm in the wrong place, well had my Lexus is 250 se-i for about 6 weeks and yesterday was the first real chance to give it a good clean & wax, well what I noticed was every door window is full of scratches ( should have looked closer in the dealers) my question is has anyone else had or got the same problem as I've never seen any car with quite as much as this & if it's a common problem do Lexus know about it. Apart from that I'm over the moon with the car ( well the sat nav is a pain) but that's another story.

Cheers

Hi Steve and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Hi Steve and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike.

Thanks Mike glad to be part of LOC I'm sure I'll have many years of carefree motoring & maybe one day move up to my profile pic, when the weather is fine I'll get some pictures downloaded. 

Anyone lives in my area be nice to chat especially about sat nav.!!

Steve

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coach-Less said:

Hi people new to this so put me right if I'm in the wrong place, well had my Lexus is 250 se-i for about 6 weeks and yesterday was the first real chance to give it a good clean & wax, well what I noticed was every door window is full of scratches ( should have looked closer in the dealers) my question is has anyone else had or got the same problem as I've never seen any car with quite as much as this & if it's a common problem do Lexus know about it. Apart from that I'm over the moon with the car ( well the sat nav is a pain) but that's another story.

Cheers

Horizontal or vertical scratches?

Might have been taken to a car wash leading to horizontal scratches. 

If vertical, most likely someone's neglected the car, kept in unwashed and the dirt has been getting stuck between seals and the glass causing lots of scratches

20170402_105636.thumb.jpg.ec6b28f46192b243dc876c79de164be2.jpgHi Rayaans yes think you are right although the car is low mileage  ( 33k) & full Lexus history it was probably owned by someone who wasn't as fussy about keeping it as clean as me. Still a great car to drive & looks pretty good for 7 years old,  just annoyed about the glass & guess it would be expensive to replace.20170402_105541.thumb.jpg.0fce0d4dae14aadb7c8618ce22a4bd61.jpg

2 hours ago, Coach-Less said:

20170402_105636.thumb.jpg.ec6b28f46192b243dc876c79de164be2.jpgHi Rayaans yes think you are right although the car is low mileage  ( 33k) & full Lexus history it was probably owned by someone who wasn't as fussy about keeping it as clean as me. Still a great car to drive & looks pretty good for 7 years old,  just annoyed about the glass & guess it would be expensive to replace.20170402_105541.thumb.jpg.0fce0d4dae14aadb7c8618ce22a4bd61.jpg

Yep seems to be vertical scratches. Could have been caused by scraping frost or something or just not cleaning the car and having dirt accumulate at the bottom of the window which would leave scratches when they're opened.

Are they on the outside mainly? Or inside? I have a few marks like this but they're usually on the inside and clean off. 

Glass can be polished by the way - with cerium oxide - probably not worth trying out yourself though but it can be done if you want/need to. 

Id also advise sticking some gummi pflege or similiar in the seals to soften them up a bit

They look rather wide to be scratches? It would take some major effort to create a scratch that wide. Possibly just a deposit of some sort? Do these side windows have the same water repellent coating later model come with?

I'd start by trying to clean with a proprietary glass cleaner such as Sonus or Meg's. If no joy move on to Barkeeper's Friend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yep seems to be vertical scratches. Could have been caused by scraping frost or something or just not cleaning the car and having dirt accumulate at the bottom of the window which would leave scratches when they're opened.

Are they on the outside mainly? Or inside? I have a few marks like this but they're usually on the inside and clean off. 

Glass can be polished by the way - with cerium oxide - probably not worth trying out yourself though but it can be done if you want/need to. 

Id also advise sticking some gummi pflege or similiar in the seals to soften them up a bit

Cheers Rayaans since having the car I did notice a lot of algae and grit in the window seals like it had been parked up outside as it only did about 3k a year for the past 4 years I guess that was quite a bit so I power washed the seals out ( gently) then got in with a tooth brush & soapy water. Might look into the glass scratch removal have to see how much it bugs me!!

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

They look rather wide to be scratches? It would take some major effort to create a scratch that wide. Possibly just a deposit of some sort? Do these side windows have the same water repellent coating later model come with?

I'd start by trying to clean with a proprietary glass cleaner such as Sonus or Meg's. If no joy move on to Barkeeper's Friend. 

Hi Nemesis thanks for the suggestions not sure if the windows are protected read somewhere that the door mirrors are, the scratches are pretty deep but I  will look into some of the products you have named as I'm sure it couldn't make them any worse thanks again.

Steve

2 hours ago, Coach-Less said:

Hi Nemesis thanks for the suggestions not sure if the windows are protected read somewhere that the door mirrors are, the scratches are pretty deep but I  will look into some of the products you have named as I'm sure it couldn't make them any worse thanks again.

Steve

If you can feel them with a fingernail, you won't be able to remove them with anything less than Cerium Oxide. Glass cleaners are designed to remove grease from windows, not scratches but worth a try anyway just to make sure they aren't just streaks from moisturiser etc on the window

The front glass is most likely coated - the coating can be put back on after removing scratches - its just a titanium silica coating.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Had the same issues with my 2008, IS 220d.  My car is always spotless and garaged most of the time. Only things I put the horizontal scratches down to was the window was opened and closed to access work via a barrier/ swipe system. We also had Volcanic Ash storms about this time??

When back to Lexus dealership and because the car was less that 3 years old got replacement front windows on warranty. Well pleased with the service I received

Checked out other used cars at the dealership at the time and quite a few of them had the same scratches on the front windows.

2 hours ago, Lexie04 said:

Hi Steve,

Had the same issues with my 2008, IS 220d.  My car is always spotless and garaged most of the time. Only things I put the horizontal scratches down to was the window was opened and closed to access work via a barrier/ swipe system. We also had Volcanic Ash storms about this time??

When back to Lexus dealership and because the car was less that 3 years old got replacement front windows on warranty. Well pleased with the service I received

Checked out other used cars at the dealership at the time and quite a few of them had the same scratches on the front windows.

Hi Lexie yes mine run vertical up & down think it is lack of cleaning by previous owner & I guess at 7 years old it would be out of warranty by now, I might try the scratch removing products but think they are to deep to completely come out .

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve