Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going to look at a Mk4 tomorrow...

It's a 1999 model.  Therefore, would anybody with one be kind enough to put up some photos of what the instrument cluster should look like at positions 1, 2 and running.  Just so I know what indicators should be on, and if any are missing.

Any other important things to look for would also be appreciated.  Quite a bit different from the Mk1/2, so I'm in uncharted territory here.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Can tell you that there's no EML light to check. Instead you would be alerted to engine problems by the digital display under the speedo (same one that tells you if a door is not properly closed). Typically, the light that stays on when it should go out is the washer level warning (a design fault that's well documented around here).

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

One concern is that, based on what I've read on here, starter motor problems seem to be more common.  Also, what was the year that they introduced variable valve timing?

What differences should I expect on a test drive compared with the 1994 model?

VVTi is on post 98 cars, i.e. Ser 4. Power increased slightly....lots of subtle changes over the Ser 3, including -vital for my choice to switch up.....TRACTION CONTROL! (Missed off on Ser 3s!)

Have you checked the car on the DVLA MOT checker site? Much time left?

Nowt you can do about Starters, I'd think.

Ask for info on suspension repairs. I'm guessing it's 100K+ miles and it IS now 18 years old.

If a longtime, single owner, that's a good base to work from.

Dealer? If private, find reason for sale. The magic bullet reason would be....old guy, slight use, giving up driving.

(But that's enough about me)

Should look like this......

Lex 4 1.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

VVTi is on post 98 cars, i.e. Ser 4. Power increased slightly....lots of subtle changes over the Ser 3, including -vital for my choice to switch up.....TRACTION CONTROL! (Missed off on Ser 3s!)

Have you checked the car on the DVLA MOT checker site? Much time left?

Nowt you can do about Starters, I'd think.

Ask for info on suspension repairs. I'm guessing it's 100K+ miles and it IS now 18 years old.

If a longtime, single owner, that's a good base to work from.

Dealer? If private, find reason for sale. The magic bullet reason would be....old guy, slight use, giving up driving.

(But that's enough about me)

Should look like this......

Lex 4 1.jpg

Is that a fully loaded dog rack on the back?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cleverdick said:

Thanks guys...

One concern is that, based on what I've read on here, starter motor problems seem to be more common.  Also, what was the year that they introduced variable valve timing?

What differences should I expect on a test drive compared with the 1994 model?

It'll feel more modern, the seats are much better and it'll generally feel fab compared to a 94.  Of course I'm not saying a 94 isn't fab because I owned one for 5 years, it's just better all round.  I don't think the starter problem is too common, although I had to have it done on my MK4, annoying the part is only £13 though!  Anyway, you'll love it, let's hope it's a good one.

Out of interest, what is the starter issue on the Mk4?

I ask as - for the first time ever - my 2000-model didn't start on the first turn the other day. It turned over and seemed to fire, but then stalled. And then it took a lot of cranking for 4 or 5 times before it did start. Luckily I had my sunglasses on so my embarassment was easily hidden.

The starter motor contacts fail so the starter motor does not engage - the problem is getting to the motor - it's located on top of the engine and requires a lot of dismantling including the inlet manifold - when I bought my mark 4 many years ago the mechanic spent 7 hours replacing it

Well, it was inevitable.  I bought it, of course! 

From a nice old gentleman who has a sizeable collection of vintage Rolls Royces.  And, he was the second owner, the first having been a wealthy land-owner nearby.

There's a fully-stamped service book (up to 2011) and a bunch of service tick-shhets, which I've yet to look through.  Not many receipts, as the previous owner is now deceased, as is his accountant (so I was told) who kept all the bills.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the transmission fluid, it's pretty dark-looking.  I do wonder if it's ever been changed.

But I took a chance, given that the car is virtually mint in every other area.  Certainly made the 100-odd-mile trip home OK.

brake pads are worn, which is very annoying, given that I've just paid out for new discs and pads on my old car.

So it'll be beans on toast for us for the next few month, I think!

This is the car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704013952699?make=LEXUS&model=LS 400&logcode=p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldtop said:

I ask as - for the first time ever - my 2000-model didn't start on the first turn the other day. It turned over and seemed to fire, but then stalled. And then it took a lot of cranking for 4 or 5 times before it did start. Luckily I had my sunglasses on so my embarassment was easily hidden.

If it's cranking the starter's fine.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cleverdick said:

Well, it was inevitable.  I bought it, of course! 

From a nice old gentleman who has a sizeable collection of vintage Rolls Royces.  And, he was the second owner, the first having been a wealthy land-owner nearby.

There's a fully-stamped service book (up to 2011) and a bunch of service tick-shhets, which I've yet to look through.  Not many receipts, as the previous owner is now deceased, as is his accountant (so I was told) who kept all the bills.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the transmission fluid, it's pretty dark-looking.  I do wonder if it's ever been changed.

But I took a chance, given that the car is virtually mint in every other area.  Certainly made the 100-odd-mile trip home OK.

Brake pads are worn, which is very annoying, given that I've just paid out for new discs and pads on my old car.

So it'll be beans on toast for us for the next few month, I think!

This is the car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704013952699?make=LEXUS&model=LS 400&logcode=p

Link doesn't come up unfortunately. Congrats anyway, looking forward to many photos!!

1 hour ago, lockeyboy said:

Try again Phil it is there

looks very nice too

So it is!  Looks superb, excellent price too I would say. And I really like the colour.  Just goes to show good ones do appear!

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

What a beauty only 3 miles up the road from me. Just goes to show that with some work and plenty of patience you can still by a beauty. Enjoy.

If only I'd known!  Might have been glad of a second pair of eyes.  Perhaps you know the seller - or at least know of him?

9 hours ago, cleverdick said:

If only I'd known!  Might have been glad of a second pair of eyes.  Perhaps you know the seller - or at least know of him?

Sorry, dont know the seller. Enjoy your new car.

Well, the only issues I know about are:

• Front pads worn (and mentioned on a safety inspection sheet)
  • Battery is a bit suspect - it's a Varta and I think it had been on charge, as he'd forgotten to put the shroud back on
  • Transmission fluid plum-colored with a grey tinge - not good!
  • Airbag light flashing (possibly battery-related, I don't know)
  • Advisory on a front lower balljoint
  • Bonnet struts failed

Hoping to get the car up on a ramp today, after which I'll know more.

And then there's the question of what to do with my faithful old car.  Torn between selling it and parting it out for spares - most of which won't fit the new one.

R

16 hours ago, goldtop said:

I had this issue and turned out to be really filthy throttle body, since cleaned at last service, no stalling (or super low revs) on firing up.

• Like 1