Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys. 

I have recently bought my third Lexus, as I was missing having one! :)

It's a 1999 GS300. I was going to have the wheels refurbished but I'm not a fan of the style. 

However there are some of the nice ones from a 1998-gen LS400 for sale, but I don't know if they'd fit. 

My tyre size is 225/55R16 and the LS ones are 225/60R16. Do you think they'd still fit even with the slightly larger tyre wall? Also, is the stud pattern the same?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

as far as I know, they are all interchangeable as far as pcd/offsets/centre bore are concerned.

diameter probably won't be such a big difference, that they won't fit, but your speedo will be affected slightly. Why not just get the tyres swapped over?

Don't know if the offset, pcd, bore etc are interchangeable or not, but they are the key elements. Offset can be adjusted out a bit with spacers if needed, but if the hub and studs are the same, not a change of fitting them to the hubs.

Regards tires, that's about a 3.5% difference, so your speedo and mileage counter will be off a bit. You'll be doing about 72.5mph when speedo shows 70, 93.2 for 90mph, if speedo is actually accurate of course, most overread a bit. 

Not ideal as suggested max difference is 2.5% I think, but might as well use them and then replace with the proper size. Saves paying £80 to swap over and put in bin.

Thanks for the answers guys :)

I actually found a really useful website for future reference. Would be a good one for members: https://www.wheel-size.com/

I don't think there'll be a speed difference as the site above states my GS also came with '60' tyres as an option. 

I'll get them bought anyway as they look nice. 

Thanks again,

Chris 

As tiger fish says, the wall measurement is useless on its own, as is the % of tire width, so a 225 60 could be standard as could a 235 55 or 245 50 etc (example fictitious numbers here), as it's the circumference that matters, not the width and profile. Any number of combos can give the same or very similar circumference.

3.5% should be OK though, just bear in mind your going a touch faster than you think and also get the proper sized rubber when renewing, don't go off the tyres next time and all will be good in all likelihood

1 minute ago, Ceramicolive said:

Congratulations Chris!

I'm still pootling around in your second Lexus ;) 

I think pictures of your new car are in order my good man.

Hey there! I shall do so at some point. It's really a bit of a project to be honest. I'm saving it from certain prolonged and unglamorous death, as so many older Lexus' unfortunately have. 

I'll start a project-type post when I have time. ;)

Great to hear the GS I sold you is still going strong!

Chris 

Yes it's running great, as you know I've been thinking about selling it because when the other car comes back I'll be running a V8 and a V6 but everytime I drive the GS I change my mind and want to keep it :)

Good luck with the project I for one am interested to see your progress with it.

• Like 1