Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. Just want to relate what happened to me. I found that the sub woofer was not working. This is despite the fact that I thought the sound system was brilliant, as I ramped up Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights. When I purchased my LS 430 nearly 3 years ago the previous owner had installed a "boom box" in the boot. Apart from the fact it took up boot space, it nearly blew my ear drums so I had it removed. Weirdly the previous owner was no spring chicken.....so what the f...k ?

Anyway, when I found the speaker not working I contacted Paul Frost at Lexussparesdirect, in Darwin. I recently bought a refurbed steering wheel motor from  him. He stocks refurbed as well as second hand parts, in fact his workshop is an LS graveyard, full of second hand parts. I arranged to visit on my return from the Lakes to have it sorted, but as he only had one refurbed part in stock he suggested I buy it now (27th March) so he had it in stock when I called. This I did , for £140. I asked him to fit it, as the rear seat needs to come out, I am not mechanical, and it was a fiddly job. He said he would do it for £30, which I agreed to. When I arrived yesterday he took the cover off the speaker and immediately said that is was not blown. Bearing in mind he could have told me anything and just carried on fitting, as I am sure many would have done. He then investigated further and said it was just not connected. He fixed it all in 15 mins. I said "what do I owe you" he said nothing and I will refund the full cost of your speaker through PayPal tonight. I think that is brilliant honesty in this age, and I will obviously use him again, but also highly recommend him.

FYI he is a Lexus Enthusiast, and exports parts to the US, Rgds, Roger 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi all. Just want to relate what happened to me. I found that the sub woofer was not working. This is despite the fact that I thought the sound system was brilliant, as I ramped up Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights. When I purchased my LS 430 nearly 3 years ago the previous owner had installed a "boom box" in the boot. Apart from the fact it took up boot space, it nearly blew my ear drums so I had it removed. Weirdly the previous owner was no spring chicken.....so what the f...k ?

Anyway, when I found the speaker not working I contacted Paul Frost at Lexussparesdirect, in Darwin. I recently bought a refurbed steering wheel motor from  him. He stocks refurbed as well as second hand parts, in fact his workshop is an LS graveyard, full of second hand parts. I arranged to visit on my return from the Lakes to have it sorted, but as he only had one refurbed part in stock he suggested I buy it now (27th March) so he had it in stock when I called. This I did , for £140. I asked him to fit it, as the rear seat needs to come out, I am not mechanical, and it was a fiddly job. He said he would do it for £30, which I agreed to. When I arrived yesterday he took the cover off the speaker and immediately said that is was not blown. Bearing in mind he could have told me anything and just carried on fitting, as I am sure many would have done. He then investigated further and said it was just not connected. He fixed it all in 15 mins. I said "what do I owe you" he said nothing and I will refund the full cost of your speaker through PayPal tonight. I think that is brilliant honesty in this age, and I will obviously use him again, but also highly recommend him.

FYI he is a Lexus Enthusiast, and exports parts to the US, Rgds, Roger 

Exemplary customer service is that Roger. Thanks for the report.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Paul,  sounds like your a real gent helping out there.

Roger, as the the 'what the ...' comment on the boom box, there is nothing like real bass, but I reckon the standard bass unit in any LS is pretty good, maybe not top notch, but good enough so that when I sit in the local Tesco car park waiting to pick up my son, the drum & bass coming from my car makes people turn their head to see what an old g*t like me is up to.

• Like 1

"Was no spring chicken" Definite ageist comment here!!!

And totally obselete.

If you think that rock + roll was in 1950s; the Beatles (I went to same school) were 1960s -broke up in '71. That is quite a while back. We children of the 60s have tried HARD to stay young (those who didn't sell out and become Tories!)And we like music! I sold my 1000LPs only last year-still have CDs, though use HDD now.

If you could see my speakers in my house!.......Leak 3090s, my second set-up.see pic......and I bought the LS 400 in part because (another oldie) Setright rated the sound quality.

As to 'they weren't connected.'.....DOH!

IMG_3485.JPG

Thank you guys for the responses. I feel bad enough not knowing the bass was not connected, and really appreciating the quality sound. Pete if you had heard the boom box, it nearly blew my eardrums, in fact it was not comfortable at all even with the bass turned right down. However I did notice people looking at me arriving wondering what an old get like me was listening to such loud music. The "spring chicken "was just a reference to the fact that one would normally associate such modifications with the younger generation driving around with the car windows wide open. Maybe it is just my intolerance to strong loud base..... no offence intended...honest. Rgds, Roger

19 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

"Was no spring chicken" Definite ageist comment here!!!

And totally obselete.

If you think that rock + roll was in 1950s; the Beatles (I went to same school) were 1960s -broke up in '71. That is quite a while back. We children of the 60s have tried HARD to stay young (those who didn't sell out and become Tories!)And we like music! I sold my 1000LPs only last year-still have CDs, though use HDD now.

If you could see my speakers in my house!.......Leak 3090s, my second set-up.see pic......and I bought the LS 400 in part because (another oldie) Setright rated the sound quality.

As to 'they weren't connected.'.....DOH!

Chris,  

3090's the dream speaker when I was a youngster with no money, no girlfriend/wife, and no room big enough to fit them in.

My wife tolerates my HiFi hobby but such a big beast of a speaker would be a step to far

(Post hi-jack warning....)

I got the 3090s a couple of years back rewired etc.! In MY impoverished youth I bought Leak sandwiches from an auction.....still got them, keep out of nostalgia.

Show your wife THESE?

super horns!.jpg

• Like 2