Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would you change RX350 SE-L to RX400H SE-L ?

Hello,

New user here, been getting some great information from the forums through searching already but wondered if I could tap the collective RX experience on here, I bought an '06 350 SE-L on 92,000miles back in December, admittedly in a rush as my previous car was nicked and from insurance payout to changing car on the policy had to be in a week otherwise they cancelled my policy without refund!

It had a clean MOT history, came with a full 12 months MOT and was good on paper so I got a little excited and essentially did the deal by phone - I'm more than old and ugly enough to know better really - I love the car but it is a bit rough round the edges, the history is all Lexus bar the last 2 but intervals are a little sporadic, the rear DVD system was not working from day one (plus no headphones) and the 6 disc changer has started to randomly eject discs and turn itself off (only in the past couple of weeks) - appreciate these are known issues - especially the rear DVD entertainment. But also I can't help but feel I should have got the 400H SE-L for a little extra layout in the first place.

I stumbled on an advert for a 2005 400H SE-L on 86,000 miles today, there are still headphones for rear entertainment suggesting it works, it looks a lot tidier than mine and has a full Lexus history (so assume up to date on recalls) and being SE-L is still Mark Levinson set up. It's a cost to me to change but the temptation is quite large to just PX to the hybrid, especially lower tax and less fuel use in town... however am worried that despite the on paper benefits I am just thinking the grass is greener - ultimately I don't need to change, I can find a 2nd hand CD player online (well, the odd one pops up!) and get cheap tablets in the back.. Just wondered if others would consider this change? From what I read the hybrid system is generally reliable? Just the 12v Battery to watch / trickle charge? Guess the risk of the DVD/CD systems packing up I have to take on the chin? Spec wise I don't think there is a huge difference between 2005 and 2006 SE-L's? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for reading what turned into remarkable waffle! Any input really is appreciated - thanks!

Hi, welcome. I have a 400h and love it so am a bit biased. Mine has done 248000 miles and still not missing a beat! The rear DVD is not too much of an issue to fix, what's not working with it?

I also have a radio unit for sale. I'll post a link to it on eBay, I'll ship it for free to a forum member.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nightim said:

Hello,

New user here, been getting some great information from the forums through searching already but wondered if I could tap the collective RX experience on here, I bought an '06 350 SE-L on 92,000miles back in December, admittedly in a rush as my previous car was nicked and from insurance payout to changing car on the policy had to be in a week otherwise they cancelled my policy without refund!

It had a clean MOT history, came with a full 12 months MOT and was good on paper so I got a little excited and essentially did the deal by phone - I'm more than old and ugly enough to know better really - I love the car but it is a bit rough round the edges, the history is all Lexus bar the last 2 but intervals are a little sporadic, the rear DVD system was not working from day one (plus no headphones) and the 6 disc changer has started to randomly eject discs and turn itself off (only in the past couple of weeks) - appreciate these are known issues - especially the rear DVD entertainment. But also I can't help but feel I should have got the 400H SE-L for a little extra layout in the first place.

I stumbled on an advert for a 2005 400H SE-L on 86,000 miles today, there are still headphones for rear entertainment suggesting it works, it looks a lot tidier than mine and has a full Lexus history (so assume up to date on recalls) and being SE-L is still Mark Levinson set up. It's a cost to me to change but the temptation is quite large to just PX to the hybrid, especially lower tax and less fuel use in town... however am worried that despite the on paper benefits I am just thinking the grass is greener - ultimately I don't need to change, I can find a 2nd hand CD player online (well, the odd one pops up!) and get cheap tablets in the back.. Just wondered if others would consider this change? From what I read the hybrid system is generally reliable? Just the 12v battery to watch / trickle charge? Guess the risk of the DVD/CD systems packing up I have to take on the chin? Spec wise I don't think there is a huge difference between 2005 and 2006 SE-L's? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for reading what turned into remarkable waffle! Any input really is appreciated - thanks!

Better the devil you know?

14 hours ago, jabowsi said:

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182523128414

Lexus RX 2005 -2008 Radio And CD Mark Levinson Premium Sound 86120-48610

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate it!  My radio has part number 86120-48A90 (I think because it is DVD capable), I'm not fussed about DVD as long as the unit fits - do you know if there would be a problem with the connections at the back? I heard they varied between models? (which does seems a little odd to me!). If not your unit looks exactly what I am after, free shipping a very kind bonus!

To answer your earlier question, the rear DVD setup only has only one screen working and no DVD unit under the seat (I stupidly didn't look when buying). I also have no headphones but do have a remote! I think I'll just get some cheap tablets unless you know where to find a relatively cheap DVD unit? I've scoured google with no luck and hear they are about £600 from Lexus...

3 hours ago, PCM said:

Better the devil you know?

Well indeed a good point, mechanically the current car is fine.. on sleeping on it I am wondering about the wisdom of changing so soon, especially given I'd expect a low trade in on mine!

Regarding DVD under the seat. Mine stopped reading DVD discs and would just throw them out again so I changed to this.
Works fine and has all the correct connections.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Vehicle-DVD-CD-MP3-Player-Dolby-Digital-Stereo-with-Remote-Control-DC-700-/271996768674?hash=item3f544551a2

41 minutes ago, nightim said:

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate it!  My radio has part number 86120-48A90 (I think because it is DVD capable), I'm not fussed about DVD as long as the unit fits - do you know if there would be a problem with the connections at the back? I heard they varied between models? (which does seems a little odd to me!). If not your unit looks exactly what I am after, free shipping a very kind bonus!

To answer your earlier question, the rear DVD setup only has only one screen working and no DVD unit under the seat (I stupidly didn't look when buying). I also have no headphones but do have a remote! I think I'll just get some cheap tablets unless you know where to find a relatively cheap DVD unit? I've scoured google with no luck and hear they are about £600 from Lexus...

The head unit wil fit and the three white connectors at the top will fit, It won't have the lower smaller connectors but those are for DVD and not radio. As long as your is Mark Levinson it should work.

40 minutes ago, jabowsi said:

The head unit wil fit and the three white connectors at the top will fit, It won't have the lower smaller connectors but those are for DVD and not radio. As long as your is Mark Levinson it should work.

That's great, thank you - mine is indeed Mark Levinson. Let me try and remember my eBay login and will get on there as I'd like to sort this ASAP.

Also great tip on the DVD, endless googling didn't get me anywhere near that! I will also order that and then next step will be headphones and work out what's wrong with the monitor! (Any tips for either of those?)

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it. Also a sign I will keep the 350!

10 minutes ago, nightim said:

That's great, thank you - mine is indeed Mark Levinson. Let me try and remember my eBay login and will get on there as I'd like to sort this ASAP.

Also great tip on the DVD, endless googling didn't get me anywhere near that! I will also order that and then next step will be headphones and work out what's wrong with the monitor! (Any tips for either of those?)

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it. Also a sign I will keep the 350!

Regarding the DVD player for under the seat, check that you have the cradle and the wires under there to connect to. Are you sure that the Radio head unit is not the player for the back seats, I don't think so as yours is a 2006 but just check under the seat. Yu should have a cradle with a drop down front guard and some RCA plugs and power plug.
IMG_4514.thumb.JPG.c010a2bd6fbf10a77de73a13187c728c.JPG

IMG_4516.thumb.JPG.82770f618ae490597a26eb9d840c2830.JPG

13 minutes ago, jabowsi said:

Regarding the DVD player for under the seat, check that you have the cradle and the wires under there to connect to. Are you sure that the Radio head unit is not the player for the back seats, I don't think so as yours is a 2006 but just check under the seat. Yu should have a cradle with a drop down front guard and some RCA plugs and power plug.
IMG_4514.thumb.JPG.c010a2bd6fbf10a77de73a13187c728c.JPG

IMG_4516.thumb.JPG.82770f618ae490597a26eb9d840c2830.JPG

Thank you - yes, it has frame and all the connections, they've just been taped to the side so easy enough to reconnect. I guess I need to work out where the wiring goes inside the seat to see if the monitor issue is no power or dead monitor.. the one in the passenger seat powers up etc, but nothing from the one in the drivers seat, dead as a dodo.

I found some infrared headphones already, so the monitor is now the last thing to fix..

• Like 1