Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picking Up a used 2010 is250 f sport auto

Hey Guys, 

Haven't been here in a while now. Good to be back :) . I currently own a 2002 is200 automatic ( purchased used in 2014 ) 60k miles , she has been so good to me and true to the Lexus brand, she never left me hanging.. not once . Now she is 82k on the clock and its time for a replacement . I am picking up a 2010 is250 f sport auto in about 2 weeks about 55k miles and a few extras. 3 previous owners and full Lexus service history . I have a few questions about mpg on the 2010 is250 f sport because my is200 was a fuel vampire . what is the fuel consumption like on the is250 f sport? what should I look out for on the day of pickup and while test driving? Any ideas on running cost estimate , maintenance /service cost? please any information would be helpful and handy . Many thanks again guys and keep the spirit burning. :)

I had 2 is200 before and now drive a is250, MPG on motorways will be around 35-37, city is 20-22 mpg

This is normal driving, not granny mode. Maintenance costs are ridiculously low. Exactly what you would expect from a 6 year in a row most reliable car brand.

I get high 20's round town driving so I suppose it depends on your driving style. Motorways seem to be what the IS is built for, mid-to-high 30's are easy. Not in an F-sport but I wouldn't think there'd be a huge difference.

One possible thing to watch out for is the 60K service - the spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 60K or 6 years and this is expensive as there needs to be some dismantling of the engine to get at three of the plugs - so check if this has been done already and if not haggle for a bit extra discount. 

There's a detailed guide on the forum by @is200 Newbie regarding what to look out for in other areas - should answer most of your questions

Congrats on the impending purchase. I went from a manual IS200 to a 250 F-Sport and I don't think you'll be disappointed as the newer car is better in just about every way. The only thing that doesn't feel as good IMO is the steering. The mk2 IS has electric power steering and it feels a little light and artificial coming from the nicer-feeling hydraulic system of the IS200. You soon get used to it though.

As for running costs, over the course of 2 years and 2 different cars I'm averaging 31MPG (dashboard figure) and I'm mostly doing short journeys from cold. Long cruises on motorways and A-roads and you'll see close to 40MPG quite easily.

An intermediate service at Lexus is £165, rising to £300-odd for a major. Like Bob says, there's a costly one at 6yrs/60K miles where the spark plugs are supposed to be replaced so check to see if that has been done, or use it as a bargaining tool if there's no evidence of them having being changed. The engine is chain-driven so there's no belt change to worry about.

Things to watch for on the test drive...there isn't much to be honest. A "ticking" sound from the engine is due to the nature of the direct injection and is normal. On the whole, these cars are extremely reliable and a well-maintained one (and with FLSH it should be) ought to have no real issues. Perhaps the brakes could be a concern as the calipers are known to seize. After driving the car, check that there's no surface rust still on the rear discs. If there is, the calipers might be sticking or seized. The gearbox is also a gem and you should be able to waft around with the gearchanges barely being noticable once its up to operating temp.

• 2 weeks later...

Very many thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate the input , Unfortunately I could not get the 2010 f sport any more as this exceeded my budget and would have been a tight squeeze . I settled for a 2009 is250 SR. picking up on friday.. not what i wanted but i guess this would do for now. Many thanks again guys 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J Henderson said:

Good choice. SR has the nice spoilers and skirts. Post pics when you get it. :)

Definitely will J , very many thanks , was a little disappointed as i had my mind set on the f sport  however I am over it now. .. Many thanks again. 

The lexus is250 is an extremely reliable and comfortable car to drive and looks good too.

I find the car to be very thirsty but with a 2.5 litre v6 engine you expect it. Low 20's around town and mid 30's on a good run with light throttle. Plant the right foot and mpg drops significantly. 

It's quick off the mark with ect on but feels underpowered mid range and has a slow witted gearbox but you can overcome this by using the paddles or stick.

Would be nice if the car had an extra 30 or so horses but it was never meant to be a sports car. It's a cruiser. 

The v6 sound when pushed sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

Hey guys , many thanks for the comments and once again there was another twist of faith. I got a call for the car dealer yesterday saying the is250 sr had an ecu problem .they they would try to fix it but of cause no one want to buy a car that is already problematic before so i turned the whole offer down and what back to my original plan of the is250 f sport, fortunately the seller gave me a price cut which makes it affordable now :) picking up on Friday morning, will most definitely post photos once I get it :)

• Like 1

And SHe arrives :) , Ooh men she is so beautiful and moves like a dream :), 54k+milage , motorway milage was basically 41mpg.  the leap in advancement from an is200 to this is shocking. I am basically still in shock 

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

media.jpeg

• Like 3

What a lovely looking lexus you have there, you must be delighted 😀

I also have the is250 f-sport in white and I can't tell you how happy I am with my car. I absolutely love it and it's a keeper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Told you you wouldn't be disappointed! They are great cars. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

What a lovely looking lexus you have there, you must be delighted 😀

I also have the is250 f-sport in white and I can't tell you how happy I am with my car. I absolutely love it and it's a keeper.

i'm in love and still in shock .. the ride , the features, ooh my :wub:

• 3 weeks later...