Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back together and ticking over at 650 rpm that will do nicely! For anyone who's doing this in the future if your'e using the existing hole I bought BSP Taper Thread x Hose Tail End Connector - Brass Fitting for Air, Water & Fuel,  Bsp thread size: 1/8 inch (10mm thread believe me it is). Hose internal diameter (bore) 8mm (5/16")  this has a 10mm thread  the best drill size to use for this is 3/8 inch (9.525 mm) and take your time screwing it in straight. Then look back on this thread (no pun intended) and GrahamG has explained what to do and you'll find out how to strengthen the connector with Araldite standard epoxy and Carbon fibre tow. You will need to strengthen it so just do as your told! When applying the carbon fibre mix remember there is another larger pipe that fixes on the end and you must leave enough room for this to attach it doesn't need as much space as it had before, so you can get some of the tow wrapped around that side of the connector. I rubbed down the barbed ends with sandpaper as you'll want to get the pipe off at some time in the future it is also a bit large for the pipe but it will fit ok.

Here's how it looks on the car.

IMG_0776.JPG

• Like 1

Well it ran great on Saturday and gave it a good blast today and when I reached my destination the tickover was up and down again and a misfire. The journey back was ok until I had to slow right down and then tickover isn't right, got back home and let it sit at tickover in Park and it's misfiring even without the revs going up and down, at times it's just missing. Sprayed some throttle body cleaner around some of the vacuum line connections (especially where I had repaired) but no rise in revs to indicate a leak. I had replaced Distributor cap and rotor when I had it apart as I knew one had been replaced about 4 years ago and thought whilst I was there I may aswell do it but to be honest the old ones looked ok. I had tested the resistance of the ht leads and they were ok but I guess they could be damaged having had them on and off a couple of times and spark plugs were supposedly replaced about 30,000 miles ago with double platinum and they were the right ones, but were they replaced I wonder? I don't think it's misfiring at higher revs when I'm travelling and I naughtily on a clear piece of dual carriageway took it up to a very high speed for a short period and didn't notice anything untoward. I'd describe the tickover as lumpy and at times interspersed with a rise and fall of revs. I may start with new plugs and ignition leads as they are reasonably priced from the USA. Any ideas would be welcome. It's a weird coincidence I have almost the same thing happening on my Mercedes although it's worse at tickover and wants to surge forward. They have both been fuelled at different filling stations just in case someone may go down that avenue.

I had checked for trouble codes a couple of weeks ago and got nothing but thought I'd better have another go and two codes came up 21 main oxygen sensor signal left bank and 28 main oxygen sensor signal right bank. Well I'd better get them off and test them I suppose luckily I have the removal tool from my Soarer days. My question is if the mains are not within specs should I replace the subs at the same time? Cheapest route I guess is universal all round and splice them on to old plugs always Rockauto aswell.

With further reading it looks like I just need the upstream sensors as these must be the main ones unless someone can tell me otherwise. I can probably test them through the diagnostic port with E1 and Ox 1 etc.

Well I warmed up car properly and the readings were for Ox 0.070 and for Ox1 2.3 and falling so very lean. I tried blocking off the air box with a couple of towels thinking this should induce a rich condition and the both sensors voltage barely moved. I've ordered two front sensors from Rockauto at around £80 and they are Delphi and have connectors so easy fitment. Managed to loosen one of the sensors but the other is proving more difficult and is soaking in Wd 40 and I will probably give the car a run and heat it up and hopefully it will be easier to remove as I don't want to round it off. I also ordered ht leads and plugs as the prices are so good and I've always felt the engine is not as smooth or as quiet as the same engine on my Soarer which was so quiet you didn't know whether it was running or not.

Took both sensors off and tested the heater elements and both not working, so I now know the problem and realise why the engine wasn't as smooth at tickover and took so long to drop to 650rpm. I think they've been defective for quite a while as they can be before throwing a code. The ht leads and plugs may well be kept in reserve always handy to have even if someone else may require them.