Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

42 minutes ago, cornershop said:

Dhp are 8x17

I fitted 235/55 Dunlops bluresponse earlier this year . Super quiet and excellent wet ability, all I needed

65f7ba1daabdfdc85184a0fafe5d4f4a.jpg

65270defa9328fecbaa04de318399e90.jpg

Great colour for the car same as mine.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I use Falkens 225/60/16 there are around £110ish a corner fitted, quiet, grip well and last well too.

sadly I'm advised that Falken no longer manufacture this size ( it's just about an obsolete size for modern cars ) and I'm using Maxxis, the alternative suggested by my previous Falken supplier.

They tell me that Maxxis have a lower noise decibel rating too than the Falken and everything else is just about on par

Malc

• Like 1

Standard are 235/50 - 175 each or thereabouts !

Correction- standard dhp are 225/55/17 - price still high compared when the 235/55 I had fitted. Speedo is more accurate to with the 235/55 - only 2mph higher than the Waze app.

5 hours ago, Malc said:

sadly I'm advised that Falken no longer manufacture this size ( it's just about an obsolete size for modern cars ) and I'm using Maxxis, the alternative suggested by my previous Falken supplier.

They tell me that Maxxis have a lower noise decibel rating too than the Falken and everything else is just about on par

Malc

Thats odd as I have just bought 4.

https://www.protyre.co.uk/buy/Falken-ZIEX-ZE-912-car-tyres-225-60-16-98W-2256016ZBUFA912

I like Maxxis but really couldn't say how quiet they are in comparison. Had them on my W140. Seem to do the job. I did put two Nexens on the back but not so keen on them. They may wear quicker and no I don't do many burnouts! (any)

14 minutes ago, Malc said:

how odd ........  can u check the year of manufacture on them ?

Malc

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010. Use that information to make sure you're buying tyres with the longest shelf life possible.

Regards

John

• Like 1

the Falken is decibels 70  the Maxxis is 71  but the fuel efficiency is G on the falken and F on the maxxis

Both are wet grip C

A is greenest so i understand.

No idea what the wear profile is but i do remember getting really good wear from the Falkens which i had for many years and the Maxxis seem to me to be just a little less longevity wise, but i might be imagining that ! ..................  @20k miles is a long time of my motoring .............  the life of a tyre

The drive on both doesn't seem to be any different, but hey I'm old and forget what things were like in times past ..  everything seems " rosier " now whatever:yahoo:

Not this weekend as we have visitors all over the holiday and if I go anywhere near my shed I will be able to talk 3 octaves higher, I will have a look on Tuesday

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Not this weekend as we have visitors all over the holiday and if I go anywhere near my shed I will be able to talk 3 octaves higher, I will have a look on Tuesday

....and you'll need the wheelbarrow to get back indoors!

• Like 1

mike,its the 17in the falkens are difficult to get,i had to get 1 to match what was on there after a blowout ,could'nt get, any,anywhere.for the particular ones i had ,ended up buying 2 tyres,so had the same tyres on the same axle,they were about £80,i have 255/45/17 on mine

I run Falkens - 235/55 x17 on my dhp as I wasn't going to pay over £200 a corner for the originally specced pirellis which were 245/45 x17. 

Grip is pretty good but longevity on the rear isn't. Speedo over reads by about 2 - 3 mph at 70 when new.

Pete

I have inherited Pirelli on the Honda Legend and besides being ultra expensive for the previous owner I find the ride quite uncomfortable and harsh on the Honda.:sad:

I'll certainly be changing to Falken or Maxxis when the need arises.

On the Ls400 I'm quite happy with the Maxxis 225/60/16 all round performance :winkiss: ...........  so far

Malc

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, plastic orange said:

Speedo over reads by about 2 - 3 mph at 70 when new.

This is really interesting. My nephew who is looking after my 1932 Triumph Southern Cross Sports Tourer has just bought a GPS reading gadget for the speedo and that reads the car speedo as 10mph over the actual ............ .  so 50mph is really 40mph and boy does it rattle and what with the wind through one's hair ( if I had any :yahoo: ) ........ !!!

Malc

19 hours ago, Malc said:

I have inherited Pirelli on the Honda Legend and besides being ultra expensive for the previous owner I find the ride quite uncomfortable and harsh on the Honda.:sad:

I'll certainly be changing to Falken or Maxxis when the need arises.

On the Ls400 I'm quite happy with the Maxxis 225/60/16 all round performance :winkiss: ...........  so far

Malc

Interesting what you say about Pirelli. I had them on my Volvo, miles of tread left but a horrible ride with really bad tramlining, changed them for Avons and it's a different car!

Are Avons good. They are used on Rolls Royces but seem in recent years to be a mid-range brand. Do you last?

There is no doubt that the new classification has forced competition in the industry to up its game. It is interesting to see how some older, very good tyres, like Goodyear NCTs are now rated as noisy and not fuel efficient.

Information and testing really do work to improve products. 

1 hour ago, MLW said:

Are Avons good. They are used on Rolls Royces but seem in recent years to be a mid-range brand. Do you last?

There is no doubt that the new classification has forced competition in the industry to up its game. It is interesting to see how some older, very good tyres, like Goodyear NCTs are now rated as noisy and not fuel efficient.

Information and testing really do work to improve products. 

I can only comment on my experience with Avon which is to say I find them excellent.  Quiet, superb grip, but too early to say how long they last.  Of course they may feel different on other vehicles.  Certainly at this stage I would buy them again, and I like the way they're made in the UK.  

• Like 1