Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Head Gasket?

brian155

Hi, looking for some advice about possible head gasket issue on an 05 gs430 which has covered 105k.

just had one of those sniff test/head gasket test which results in a colour change if head gasket is leaking,

Well there was a colour change but was debatable to what extent, I had recently had a new water pump fitted and was wondering if somehow there could have been some cross contamination during this procedure also any ideas on cost at an indy garage to have them done if need be? only don't want to wait till they go and leave me in the lurch. I also wish to add that I do very short journeys which seems to result in having mayo in the oil filler cap, but don't have the mayo issue on longer journeys and I have no overheating issues or coolant loss.

Thanks in advance Bri.  

Hi Steve, my son had one of those HG sniffer tests done on his 500 bhp evo just to make sure all was ok with his engine so because I love my lexus with a passion I decided to have the test done on the lexus. The result was a slight colour change in the test device to which I was told by the garage it indicated a HG problem. I had the water pump replaced recently and was wondering if there was a possibility of cross contamination some how with the water. I have no overheating or coolant loss but I do get mayo in the oil filler cap but hopefully this is down to me doing very short journeys to work eg 1 mile each way . On long runs 20-30 mile runs no mayo.                        Kind Regards Brian.

Edited by brian155
word change and spelling correction

Hi all, with regards to this topic the HG sniff test as was explained to me works by a chemical reaction of the coolant vapour passing through a chemical that changes colour when hydrocarbons are present hence a HG leak. Hydrocarbons should not come into contact with water in the cooling system unless there is a HG leak.This I assume is the modern way of detecting a HG problem as apposed to the compression test which measures cylinder pressure which could be valves or piston ring issues. Cheers Brian.