Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warped Front Brake Discs F Sport 250

Hi All,

I have a problem with my 2013 GS 250 Sport. I have warped three sets of front discs in the last 7 Months, and 5,000 , and 5,000 miles. When I have a new set fitted they are fine and brake smoothly. However, when turning right at speeds above 50mph there is a grinding/rubbing sound, and some vibration in the steering. It is as though the tyres are rubbing on the body work, although this is not the case.

Over  a period of 4 to 6 weeks this brakes become juddery when breaking, eventually quite violently.

The garage who have replaced my discs and pads (Halfords) have done so three times and now given up, without actually finding what the fault is that causes the discs to warp.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Have they thoroughly cleaned the hub to disc faces each time? Majority of 'warped' discs are in fact run-out because of corrosion or debris caught between hub and disc.

That said after fitting 2 sets of new discs and pads on my SEAT and not curing a vibration I didn't have before fitting, the dealer gave up and checked the service advice only to discover that SEAT recommend replacing the hubs! Cured the vibration....

First they should measure runout of the freshly installed discs and check it with lexus tolerance. If it is off the limit hub might be dirty/rusty or damaged.

if runout is fine check calliper and its mounting points on the knuckle.

finally are you aware how to use new brake set for the first 100-200 miles ? As both disc are going bad maybe it is you doing something wrong :)

• Like 1

Hi Hangie and Nemisis,

Thanks for your advice. I have managed to drive 900,000 miles in my life to date, and had many replacement discs and pads, I have not had a problem like this. I will book in with a more experienced garage and ask the questions that you have posed re the hubs, calipers and the runout.

Paul

Id be inclined to ditch halfords 

can't even do a proper air con service, don't know why they're trusted with brakes

its highly unlikely that 3 sets of discs and pads are going to go bad over 5k miles and therefore, its more likely that whichever monkey has fitted them isn't doing it properly. 

I'm almost certain it's rust or dirt on the hubs. They really do Have to be spotlessly clean before fitting new discs. Even the smallest amount will quickly warp your discs.

Used Halfrauds for her B Class a few years back. Never ever again. Fitted incorrect pads - but only found out after I noticed a large amount of brake dust and a red hot wheel one day. Wrecked the discs and pads. They denied it despite the part numbers etc.

I've had good dealings with ATS near me so if you want to go the indy route try them too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I found a good owner-managed independent garage locally. It took him half an hour to call me to say the front nearside front bearing was shot to pieces. He said the wheel wobbled when they lifted the car of the ground. He cannot believe that Halfords did not notice, especially after 3 goes at the problem.

Anyway all fixed now. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links