Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Restoration back to SE-L project

Ken.K

so as some of you may know i bought my Lexus few weeks back now a CAT D and it seems to have had frontal damage and previous owner had it repaired with SE spec. at first i thought this was just the headlights but on closer inspection they could not even fit back the parking sensors. which i think is just annoying, headlights I get as they are like £2000 but parking sensors really. On that note I have decided to bring the car back to SE-L or partially back cos i am not going to spend £900+ to get the xenons put back with headlight washers etc.

when i put the car in reverse or touch the breaks, I see check sonar warning triangle for the front so I am assuming i have wiring loom and the system is still in there but no actual sensors hence why it is sending the warning. am hoping to get this checked overthe next few days and if it is just to drill and install sensors perfect. 

So your car is SE-L spec, but has halogen front lights, no headlight washers or parking sensors?

If that is the case, wouldn't it be easier to find a salvage SE-L and offer to buy all the missing parts?  Surely it wouldn't cost £900 for secondhand headlights? Or am I talking out of my arse? :smile:

Also, do your lights still have the auto levelling function that is fitted to the xenon's?

• Like 1

As @Shahpor suggested your best bet is to buy SE-L IS220d from Copart or another breaker auction e.g. side damage or blown engine (plenty of these). I have seen some selling for like £600 (entire car). Then you not only going to get the parts you need, but bunch of spare parts as well. Ideally, you would need B-license to be able to buy cat-B, but I believe there are companies which can buy cat-Bs for small fee for you. I have seen B-Cat IS220d with things like "general wear and tear"... just because these cars (IS220d) are so little of value the smallest issue makes them breakers. 

20 hours ago, Ken.K said:

" I see check sonar warning triangle" 

I would like to confirm this one first. You see Sonar is not "parking sensor" - some of these cars were fitted (extremely rare option) with Radar Dynamic Cruise Control - Sonar would refer to that, rather than parking sensors, but maybe the same warning is shown in any case i.e. whenever one of the systems are faulty. 

If you have RDCC  you should have Distance/PCS button on steering wheel... however as your car seems to be little butchered I am not certain if steering wheel is original i.e. is airbag was shot there is good chance they replaced whole steering wheel + airbag (though it is possible to replace just centerpiece with airbag).

58ff297bb35b2_IS250RDCC.png.c8dc079a389f51cee0282256432f85f7.png

Is you car AT or MT? this is important because MT never had RDCC, so that might take it out of the equation, but equally if you would need to replace one on AT, no MT SE-L would be suitable. Actually even on AT SE-L RDCC is as common as unicorn fart. 

Obviously, there is other way to tell if you have RDCC and PCS, but surely that is not applicable for you. The RDCC cars has glass front emblem (under which sonar sits), but likelihood you still have original front emblem is very little.

Badges1.JPG.b53c632aeb9c3e6fa7cdadcf72b35883.JPG

• Like 1

As @Shahpor suggested your best bet is to buy SE-L IS220d from Copart or another breaker auction e.g. side damage or blown engine (plenty of these). I have seen some selling for like £600 (entire car). Then you not only going to get the parts you need, but bunch of spare parts as well. Ideally, you would need B-license to be able to buy cat-B, but I believe there are companies which can buy cat-Bs for small fee for you. I have seen B-Cat IS220d with things like "general wear and tear"... just because these cars (IS220d) are so little of value the smallest issue makes them breakers. 

" I see check sonar warning triangle" 

I would like to confirm this one first. You see Sonar is not "parking sensor" - some of these cars were fitted (extremely rare option) with Radar Dynamic Cruise Control - Sonar would refer to that, rather than parking sensors, but maybe the same warning is shown in any case i.e. whenever one of the systems are faulty. 

If you have RDCC  you should have Distance/PCS button on steering wheel... however as your car seems to be little butchered I am not certain if steering wheel is original i.e. is airbag was shot there is good chance they replaced whole steering wheel + airbag (though it is possible to replace just centerpiece with airbag).

58ff297bb35b2_IS250RDCC.png.c8dc079a389f51cee0282256432f85f7.png

Is you car AT or MT? this is important because MT never had RDCC, so that might take it out of the equation, but equally if you would need to replace one on AT, no MT SE-L would be suitable. Actually even on AT SE-L RDCC is as common as unicorn fart. 

I do not think it is dynamic cruise as I do not have the black shiny badge just a normal cruise and no such button on the steering wheel. Also Lexus says my car comes with the parking sensors when they did the vin check and nothing else. I also think it is very much to do with the parking sensors as this only comes up whem I engage parking functions or break and nothing else. I really have a second mind to just sell it now and get a non damaged one. And less mileage.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

I do not think it is dynamic cruise as I do not have the black shiny badge just a normal cruise and no such button on the steering wheel. Also Lexus says my car comes with the parking sensors when they did the vin check and nothing else. I also think it is very much to do with the parking sensors as this only comes up whem I engage parking functions or break and nothing else. I really have a second mind to just sell it now and get a non damaged one. And less mileage

Yes.. all SE-Ls had parking sensors from standard. There were in total 4 optional things: Moonroof, SAT-NAV, ML audio and RDCC. The rest all standard.

Selling and buying another one was always and option since we started talking about retrofitting HIDs, but I didn't dare suggesting it. Without a doubt that is easiest and probably even cheapest option.

So I have ML, and Parking sensors but no moonroof and rdcc. Personally I would not have been fussed with no hids but now this is just annoying me. I was planning to keep the car for a year at least or till my B-Day at least in September.

Saying that I am looking on eBay an am seeing some SE-L breaking with no front parking sensors. Another mystery lol

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That is because they are not SE-Ls .... breakers have many IS'es in the lot and just post the pictures of one random to show you similar model. The car in the picture is usually already gone into pieces and are long on the shelves. Try asking them for any part.... and most of the time they won't have it. Especially the popular ones like facelift head or tail lights. 

You would need to locate complete car yourself from original auction like Copart.. if you want any value in it. As you know HID headlight, or even more facelifted ones with DLRs are like £900-£1500, whereas you can buy whole car for that price e.g. it might have side damage or rear damage and the rest is all good.