Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H squeak from the arm rest area

My arm rest/center console between the seats appears to be causing an annoying squeak, which is starting to irritate me as the rest of the car is so quiet. 

The sliding arm rest can be in the rear or forward position, up or down with arm on or off the rest but the noise persists.

I've eased it a little recently when the gear selector panel was off but think the noise may be coming from deep under the arm rest/cubby hole.  

I've had a quick scan online but can't see any related info, so if anyone has a link/experience to share them I'll all ears.  

So I can investigate and may add foam to the rear vent pipework/etc, I'd like a guide on removing the arm rest without breaking any fittings.  Does such a thing exist for a gen3/2008 GS 450H or will a guide from a similar model apply?

Thanks for looking.

I had the same problem with my car, and found a liberal coating of silicon spray around any possible noise areas cured the problem.

The noisy illusive dash squeak was also cured in the same way, but from the plastic scuttle where it touches the bottom of the windscreen under the bonnet was the culprit. I had been trying for weeks with felt pads pushed down between the dash and screen to no or little affect.

Also a new rattle appeared today seemingly from above the glove box area. After some investigation it was found the black lid over the high voltage inverter was just sitting there. It looks as though this was removed for the recall on the fuel system loosing one of the plastic clips and breaking another. This area was cleaned by myself shortly before the work was carried out, and it definitely was not loose.

John.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KayCee said:

will you be taking it back to dealer john if they broke they should fix it

Under normal circumstances I would return the car, but since the dealer is a 120 mile round trip to visit it is not worth the effort. I will however notify them and ask them to send new clips to me in the post.

I know it is only a minor thing, but not something I expect from a Lexus dealer. The leased they could have done was inform me of the situation, and asked for the for a solution that was acceptable to me.

John.

John

Could you elaborate on the squeaking under bonnet as sometimes  i seem to get some sort of squeak every now and then from there

I have not put any felt on inside between Dash and Window as i dont think its that

I was over moon when i got it as it had no rattles/sqieaks whatsover and this only happens occasionaly unlike my gs 300 that had felt, full length of dash it did cure it mind

I have had a cursuray look and cant seem to see what would squeak

TIA

Robert

The place that the "dash" noise originally came from was the plastic scuttle under the bonnet. This is the plastic tray that the wiper shafts come through. I found pressing it gently produced the squeaking noise. Along it's top edge is a rubber thin trim that sits against the bottom of the screen. It was this that made the noise rubbing on the screen.

The black lid over the inverter is held in place by 2 spring clips at the rear corners by the screen. At the front it is held by the same sort of white nylon clips that are used to hold things like car door trims only this one is tiny in comparison, and is just a single clip near the centre.

John

On 2017-4-27 at 8:01 PM, Britprius said:

I had the same problem with my car, and found a liberal coating of silicon spray around any possible noise areas cured the problem.

The noisy illusive dash squeak was also cured in the same way, but from the plastic scuttle where it touches the bottom of the windscreen under the bonnet was the culprit. I had been trying for weeks with felt pads pushed down between the dash and screen to no or little affect.

Also a new rattle appeared today seemingly from above the glove box area. After some investigation it was found the black lid over the high voltage inverter was just sitting there. It looks as though this was removed for the recall on the fuel system loosing one of the plastic clips and breaking another. This area was cleaned by myself shortly before the work was carried out, and it definitely was not loose.

John.

"silicon spray "  way to go. Get some good quality stuff...

Hi John

I have had a look under bonnet and have found that the clip holding skuttle at back of inverter thingy is not there the hole is half inch long by 1 eighth  high so i assume it should have some sort of clip in and it can move a little horizontal (the skuttle) but just between the wippers were the air intake is the seal is away from the glass i know the glass will be sealed but i get a wind type noise in front of dash were the centre vents are so was wondering if its turbulence on the seal that i can hear.

I checked the screen and it doesnt say Lexus on it Just solar??????? ( something) and Laminated so it looks like its had a new screen in its Lifetime i think

Robert

7 hours ago, KayCee said:

Hi John

I have had a look under bonnet and have found that the clip holding skuttle at back of inverter thingy is not there the hole is half inch long by 1 eighth  high so i assume it should have some sort of clip in and it can move a little horizontal (the skuttle) but just between the wippers were the air intake is the seal is away from the glass i know the glass will be sealed but i get a wind type noise in front of dash were the centre vents are so was wondering if its turbulence on the seal that i can hear.

I checked the screen and it doesnt say Lexus on it Just solar??????? ( something) and Laminated so it looks like its had a new screen in its Lifetime i think

Robert

I think it is a strong possibility that the scuttle not being seated against the screen will cause wind noise. Also any missing clips are likely to cause some noise either a rattle or a squeaking rubbing noise as the scuttle moves with vibration, and wind pressure. It should be sealed against the screen.

John.

• 11 months later...

I finally got around to tackling the arm rest squeaks yesterday and it's made a HUGE difference.

I added thick but soft foam tape wherever I could and thinner sticky backed felt elsewhere.

In the diagram I stripped out all the components top left; shifter guide, ash tray and cup holder.

They were all contributing quite a bit to the squeaks.

582360.jpg

They were then each refitted with foam/tape, to prevent as much plastic on plastic contact as possible.

The side panels got the same treatment and now the tunnel area is silent :thumbup:

I also removed the media console and central vents for the same treatment but they weren't really nearly as bad as the tunnel.  I goofed whilst removing the vents and nearly pulled them completely apart :wacko: so take care if you try it.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links