Recommended Posts

hi all 

does anyone have any of you have an issue with  squeaky brakes on there  GSF or ISF as i have on my 2017 GSF had it  from a week after buying the car from new... had new discs and pads but still got squeaky brakes been  had  a man from Lexus Europe look at my car last week but he does no why just stood there and shook his head  and went I don't know.  only done 2000 in the car as fed up hearing the bloody noise each time i come to an stop 

Lexus UK cant help there no good 

cheers colin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

How new are you pads? You might just need bedding them in.

Really warm the brakes up by doing some hard stops from speed, give them a good seeing to.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not heard of any issues like this, I think you'll just have to keep trying the dealers until they can fix it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Colin i hope you are well, i have read quite a lot from the US forum concerning squeaky brakes, in some cases Lexus have made a re-call as shown below, others have changed there pads to softer ones which reduces the squeal quite a lot, the problem is softer pads causes more break dust, they don't last as long, and you can't track your car with them.

314613d1391731635-brembo-brakes-squeel-lexus-free-repair-brembo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Colin Herridge said:

hi all 

does anyone have any of you have an issue with  squeaky brakes on there  GSF or ISF as i have on my 2017 GSF had it  from a week after buying the car from new... had new discs and pads but still got squeaky brakes been  had  a man from Lexus Europe look at my car last week but he does no why just stood there and shook his head  and went I don't know.  only done 2000 in the car as fed up hearing the bloody noise each time i come to an stop 

Lexus UK cant help there no good 

cheers colin 

Can't say I've had any issues with my ISF brakes Colin. From past experiences with other cars, these squeaks can be difficult to pinpoint. If it's that bad could you try non oem pads? Obviously get Lexus to agree so it wouldn't effect your warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Mine are driving me mad at the mo. Think it's either front or rear right. Fronts need changing so maybe that's the answer but when I get time I'll have them to bits for a good lube!

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Colin Herridge said:

hi all 

does anyone have any of you have an issue with  squeaky brakes on there  GSF or ISF as i have on my 2017 GSF had it  from a week after buying the car from new... had new discs and pads but still got squeaky brakes been  had  a man from Lexus Europe look at my car last week but he does no why just stood there and shook his head  and went I don't know.  only done 2000 in the car as fed up hearing the bloody noise each time i come to an stop 

Lexus UK cant help there no good 

cheers colin 

 

59 minutes ago, Colin Herridge said:

hi all 

does anyone have any of you have an issue with  squeaky brakes on there  GSF or ISF as i have on my 2017 GSF had it  from a week after buying the car from new... had new discs and pads but still got squeaky brakes been  had  a man from Lexus Europe look at my car last week but he does no why just stood there and shook his head  and went I don't know.  only done 2000 in the car as fed up hearing the bloody noise each time i come to an stop 

Lexus UK cant help there no good 

cheers colin 

@Colin Herridge I have a strongly held belief that once bedded in performance systems benefit from regular 'enthusiastic' application 😏

🐀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pad compound makes a big difference.  I've fitted performance pads to many cars and the harder compounds definitely squeel when cold.  Think it's down to the way they vibrate in the calliper when cold.

Maybe they just needed bed in, tends to happen in a couple hundred miles though. 

Are ISF callipers different to the GSF?  I know discs are slotted rather than drilled

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often get squeaky brakes on mine. It's on original pads, with loads of material left. Only at lower speeds with light brake pressure though. It's definitely a squeak, not squeal. A little irritating, but something to be expected IMHO with high performance brakes. Like others have said, some enthusiastic driving should help clean them up. Failing that, removing pads and applying some copper grease could help to deaden any vibrations.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Big Rat said:

 

@Colin Herridge I have a strongly held belief that once bedded in performance systems benefit from regular 'enthusiastic' application 😏

🐀

Absolutely true.

High performance pads have a higher ratio of iron or other metallics in their makeup. This will give you metal-on-metal a bit more against the discs when you brake and you'll get more noise/squeal. 

Ive not noticed this on the standard pads on the ISF, but my S2000 track car (DS2500 and DS3000 pads) suffers badly if I've done a few gentle drives. Finding a small open stretch of road and burying the brake pedal at the end of it solves the problem for 10-15 more miles. 

You may be able to mitigate the effect a small amount by putting a bit more copper grease on the backs of the brake pads, but with fast road/sport/race pads it's pretty much a 'feature of the system' and doesn't affect braking action in any way.

Listen to touring cars and other track beasts to really hear brake squeal - it's normal! I believe the Millennials would say #becauseracecar or something. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concur with mrfunex. Done nearly 75k in my F and nary a chirp from the brakes, running on a bog standard setup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

Absolutely true.

High performance pads have a higher ratio of iron or other metallics in their makeup. This will give you metal-on-metal a bit more against the discs when you brake and you'll get more noise/squeal. 

Ive not noticed this on the standard pads on the ISF, but my S2000 track car (DS2500 and DS3000 pads) suffers badly if I've done a few gentle drives. Finding a small open stretch of road and burying the brake pedal at the end of it solves the problem for 10-15 more miles. 

You may be able to mitigate the effect a small amount by putting a bit more copper grease on the backs of the brake pads, but with fast road/sport/race pads it's pretty much a 'feature of the system' and doesn't affect braking action in any way.

Listen to touring cars and other track beasts to really hear brake squeal - it's normal! I believe the Millennials would say #becauseracecar or something. 

@mrfunex Great explanation Matey 👍

🐀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonP said:

Concur with mrfunex. Done nearly 75k in my F and nary a chirp from the brakes, running on a bog standard setup.

@JonP +1 on the standard set up I like to see all the dust and dirt, shows I'm trying 😉

🐀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@JonP +1 on the standard set up I like to see all the dust and dirt, shows I'm trying 😉

🐀

Oh you are definitely trying............................................:whistling:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My RCF squeaks too at low speeds. I'll see what the dealer says when I'm in next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Not heard of any issues like this, I think you'll just have to keep trying the dealers until they can fix it. 

am on to Lexus UK now cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Oh you are definitely trying............................................:whistling:

@Mark G Is that a tear in my eye as that Lancashire bloke abuses the elderly 😂

🐀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for you help with this.. after Lexus UK  have replaced the brakes 3 times  there had  my GSF for 3 week it look like that they cant fix the squeaky brakes so dont  where we go next will update you all soon as i no 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colin Herridge said:

thanks for you help with this.. after Lexus UK  have replaced the brakes 3 times  there had  my GSF for 3 week it look like that they cant fix the squeaky brakes so dont  where we go next will update you all soon as i no 

Are they admitting there is a problem or that it's a design feature? Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I took mine in, they sent their 'expert' driver out in it to do some hard stops. Apart from putting extra wear on the pads, discs and tyres, it had no effect. 

I suspect it is not as bad as on your GSF Colin, so I'm ignoring it for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2017 at 6:51 PM, Colin Herridge said:

hi all 

does anyone have any of you have an issue with  squeaky brakes on there  GSF or ISF as i have on my 2017 GSF had it  from a week after buying the car from new... had new discs and pads but still got squeaky brakes been  had  a man from Lexus Europe look at my car last week but he does no why just stood there and shook his head  and went I don't know.  only done 2000 in the car as fed up hearing the bloody noise each time i come to an stop 

Lexus UK cant help there no good 

cheers colin 

Did you ever get a resolution to this? Mine do the same.

Looks like there is a TSB in the US and they will replace the pads with ones with a different material, not sure if there is a similar TSB for Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine always squeak, sometimes worse than others. Depends if I've done much hard stopping. 99% of the time i'm barely touching the brakes. I think it polishes them up and makes them squeak more. OEM discs and pads. Could try taking the pads out and putting copper grease on the backs. Should help damp vibrations, but probably wouldn't do much in reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine stopped squeaking sometime last autumn. I have no idea why, maybe it was just a phase they go through?  

I'll update if they start agian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Mine stopped squeaking sometime last autumn. I have no idea why, maybe it was just a phase they go through?  

I'll update if they start agian

Like a teenage?? Lol.  Mine are squeaking at really low speeds with light brakes applied.  Stops once they warm up.  Discs and pads were changed on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now