Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus NOT connected services

On 4/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, Martin F said:

Sorry I really can't remember now. I have actually given up on connected services and even the My Lexus portal as they really are so poor. 

I really hope the MY19 cars are better on this front than our MY15.

Our MY15 car is so behind the curve on this front compared to our Tesla its not even funny.

I can now even schedule a service/warranty job on the Tesla using the phone App (and been a Tesla I can already confirm it works :)).

No need to do any kind of setting up on the car, or faff with phone paring, the car has its own built in 4G sim which just works. All I had to do was download the App and it works, not only that the App keeps on getting better!!!

Lexus needs to get with the times, we were talking about what to replace the IS yesterday, and as much as my wife loves her IS, Lexus didn't even get a mention!!

32607693727_a81d408b9f_k_d.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, Martin F said:

Sorry I really can't remember now. I have actually given up on connected services and even the My Lexus portal as they really are so poor. 

Yes i've given up also.  I get occasional message saying it can't download a route.  I now use a separate Garmin in the car as it has all the speed cameras.  

Luxus satnav £40,000 with car. £200 plus to update maps.

Garmin satnav £99. Lifetime FREE map updates!!!

3 hours ago, Martin F said:

I really hope she doesn't buy another Lexus. 

I think your be glad to hear the chance of that is currently looking like 0%. Sad really as I think the IS300H has ticked so many boxes, but on the tech front Lexus is been left behind by a long margin, especially in the premium end of the market, having no phone App is pretty poor these days. 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, Martin F said:

I really hope she doesn't buy another Lexus. 

We've come to the same decision.  Don't want another IS.  Looks like the UX will be too small,  tested an NX and that was underpowered so that the engine was always "screaming".  INHO.  Also think they have missed the boat by not going for an all electric car, now that we have been bitted by the bug.

48 minutes ago, Wallace said:

We've come to the same decision.  Don't want another IS.  Looks like the UX will be too small,  tested an NX and that was underpowered so that the engine was always "screaming".  INHO.  Also think they have missed the boat by not going for an all electric car, now that we have been bitted by the bug.

I'm exactly the same, 2 IS's, UX too small, didn't like the ES or NX drive, rest too expensive. I think it is still a few years till the EV range develops enough, the charging issues are improved and the early adopters iron out the teething troubles.  Polestar2 and Tesla Model 3 could be future ones for me.

As a result, for now I've gone left field and I've bought an Alfa Romeo......:w00t:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve44 said:

As a result, for now I've gone left field and I've bought an Alfa Romeo......:w00t:

Which one? If I was still a petrol head the latest quick Alfas look great.

We'll probably end up waiting another 12 months for the Y. The IS is a fine car, but fine just doesn't cut it these days. The tyre pressure light came on today on the IS, but with no individual tyre pressure read outs I had to check each tyre manually, pretty poor/lazy implementation of TPMS on behalf of Lexus, they really need to up the game on the tech front.

We got the IS because the tech looked advanced at the time (2015), its amazing how quickly the industry is moving though, am equally amazed how slow Lexus/Toyota development is in comparison.

Stelvio Milano. Went with 2.2D, couldn’t justify the petrol with the mileage I’m doing.

Quadrafoglio Guilia was very nice but boot slot smaller than IS and running costs just too much.

I have managed to get the In-car IT working - but only by using the Mobile wifi Hotspot on my Samsung Galaxy Note - the USB cable ports will charge the phone, but keep getting messages saying the phone can't communicate with the car.

Its like a routine now...

1) Get in car

2) Activate mobile wifi hotspot on phone, and leave it on that screen

3) Power on car and plug phone into USB

4) put phone in centre pocket

Usually by the time I have stowed the phone, the car has done it's startup sequence and connected itself.

Just need to sort out "Car Mode" on the Android phone, so I can actually choose different music playlists from large buttons that are accessible while driving!

I totally agree the In-car IT is pretty old fashioned - Don't understand why Apple/Android systems haven't been fitted after all this time

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2019 at 7:56 PM, ganzoom said:

I think your be glad to hear the chance of that is currently looking like 0%. Sad really as I think the IS300H has ticked so many boxes, but on the tech front Lexus is been left behind by a long margin, especially in the premium end of the market, having no phone App is pretty poor these days. 

I simply don't get it. Why in the world they do NOT have a smart phone app where you could plan the trips, input a address, play music through, etc. The whole lexus portal is a joke. It is a pain in the ***** to get the car to connect and stay connected to the portal. Every now and then I have to struggle with it when I get some freaking error... And for you BIG surprise the dealers are totally lost when you ask them about it. Unbelievable.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, ColinBarber said:

that app must get some heavy use 😉

😆

But let's ditch the Tesla talk. I'm quite sure there is a forum for Tesla fanatics.

I'm once again struggling with connection issues. Every now and then I get an error ID=00 and sometimes error ID=195. Dealer does NOT know anything with these error codes. Isn't it strange that there is verified resellers/dealers and yet they cannot help with error codes?

- username and password are 100% sure correct as they have worked earlier

- I can login into lexus portal and plan journeys and even send them to my vehicle

- the problem is to a) login to the connected service, b) keeping it connected, c) downloading the planned journeys.

• Like 1

I get very intermittent issues now - clearly a problem with the backend servers being available.

However I had all sorts of problems when I had a complex password - simplified it and it has worked for years on the IS300h and now my GS without issues. Not that I really use it - just for up to date traffic info but even then I normally just use apple maps or Waze on my phone. 

22 hours ago, nikkethegreat said:

But let's ditch the Tesla talk. I'm quite sure there is a forum for Tesla fanatics.

Ignoring how behind Lexus is with connected tech compared to rivals is just putting your head in the sand.

Even with all the faffing and errors with Lexus connected services, what actual functionality do you gain for the effort??

Our IS300H is a 2015 car, our Tesla a 2017 car, 2 years difference on paper but about 20 years difference in connected tech.

I log into my Tesla App via biometric input - just like all my banking apps etc.

The App will now tell me when a software update is ready for the car (When did Lexus last update the infotainment system on the IS?), and I can even launch the update process direct from the phone.

]50102432243_b206fc54a5_k_d.jpg

Tesla also recently launched smart summon Europe. Its handicapped by EU regulations at the moment, but watching/controlling a 3 ton SUV with your smartphone is now possible......Whilst everytime I get into our IS, all I see is 'Error download couldn't be done' message, am not even sure what its downloading.

There are many good things about our IS300H, but having seen how 'connected' services SHOULD be done in this day and age of tech, I done even bother with the IS. 

The title of this tread is very appropriate, just forget about the whole 'connected' feature on the IS and your life will be much happier :).

49352430392_8880ddc488_o_d.jpg

17 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

Ignoring how behind Lexus is with connected tech compared to rivals is just putting your head in the sand.

Even with all the faffing and errors with Lexus connected services, what actual functionality do you gain for the effort??

Our IS300H is a 2015 car, our Tesla a 2017 car, 2 years difference on paper but about 20 years difference in connected tech.

I log into my Tesla App via biometric input - just like all my banking apps etc.

The App will now tell me when a software update is ready for the car (When did Lexus last update the infotainment system on the IS?), and I can even launch the update process direct from the phone.

]50102432243_b206fc54a5_k_d.jpg

Tesla also recently launched smart summon Europe. Its handicapped by EU regulations at the moment, but watching/controlling a 3 ton SUV with your smartphone is now possible......Whilst everytime I get into our IS, all I see is 'Error download couldn't be done' message, am not even sure what its downloading.

There are many good things about our IS300H, but having seen how 'connected' services SHOULD be done in this day and age of tech, I done even bother with the IS. 

The title of this tread is very appropriate, just forget about the whole 'connected' feature on the IS and your life will be much happier :).

49352430392_8880ddc488_o_d.jpg

I am well aware what Tesla's sw is capable to. Good for you. Go ahead and buy another Tesla. Don't get me wrong, I would buy one, if it would fit my needs. 🙂 I would HAVE to agree that the sw on Lexus is from 1990's or at least that's how it feels like lol. As a person who is working in sw industry this is like a kick in the balls.

Back to the topic and as a tip for anyone else struggling with this. I finally got it to work again...

There is an email + username for the Lexus portal. You are able to use the email (or the username) to login. Now, I have succesfully connected my car with the combination of email + pw, but now I wasn't. I then tried to use only my username (aka lexus id) + pw and TADAAAAA, suddenly it works again, like a charm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nikkethegreat said:

Back to the topic and as a tip for anyone else struggling with this. I finally got it to work again...

But why are you even bothering with the faff of it all?? I haven't figured anything remotely useful the Lexus connected drive is meant to do to be worth the effort needed to keep the car 'connected'.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, ganzoom said:

But why are you even bothering with the faff of it all?? I haven't figured anything remotely useful the Lexus connected drive is meant to do to be worth the effort needed to keep the car 'connected'.

Blaablaablaa 😘

Just because when I have a device etc. with a functionality x I really want it to function no matter it is useful or not.

It is also quite much easier to plan and save the trip in the lexus portal (even though it is quite ****ty) than type it in the navigation system. Now when the car is connected the trip is automatically downloaded. That's why. You don't have to use it. I will for now until I buy a new car with (hopefully a bit better) system.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/28/2017 at 1:09 PM, NemesisUK said:

I use a Nexus 6p and Connected services works well on my 2016 RC300h. I use bluetooth and have enabled the hotspot function on the phone. It automatically connects with the car as I enter. My stored routes, created on the Lexus portal auto download.

On first setting this up I kept getting the ID=00 error, turned out to be my mistake as I kept entering my username incorrectly, omitting a punctuation mark... :whistling:

You must correctly identify your Navigation unit on the portal, entering it's ID number to register the unit on the portal.

hi. I'm trying to connect to my Lexus Portal via my Samsung phone in my RX450h 2016. Does username and password refer to the login credentials when i signed into Lexus Portal? I tried writing in my email address when sitting in the car, but there weren't enough spaces to write my full email, which left me confused...

thanks