Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint (?) peeling from near door mirror mounting

As you can see from the attached picture the paint (is it paint or something else?) around the door mirror mounting seems to be flaking off and at a hell of a rate of knots too!

My wife (who almost always uses the passenger side) noticed a tiny bit missing two days ago, even smaller than her little fingernail but it's now grown a hell of a lot bigger. Any ideas as to how I should tackle this?

door.jpg

Must of been repainted at some point for that to come off , never seen one do that before unless had paintwork done. Only way would be to remove it and get it painted again I would of thought.

You can get someone out mate that will do smart repairs and would cost a very small amount. I have a chap I use for things like that little scratches etc less than £100 for something like that. 

Hope this is of some help if not another idea would be get 2nd hand one from a breaker ?

Yep thats really odd, never seen that happen before on any car.

Seems extremely quick to peel off like that unless someones picking at it!

Thanks again for that Phil, I'll have a look at a Smart repairer for the job.

Rayann, you just gave me the lightbulb moment - and it's one of those 'DOH!!' moments where you end up kicking yourself  :sad:

I was out visiting a client and ended up having 'one of those days' where a job that I expected to take an hour ended up taking three. On top of that, when I finished the job and left, I got outside to find my car covered in stuck-on cherry blossom and also a lot of bird poo because the only place I could park when I arrived was under a tree.

On the way home I called into a car wash place where they do it by hand and completely forgot about the flaking paint! The pressure washer jet must have caused the majority of the damage  :wallbash:

5 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Thanks again for that Phil, I'll have a look at a Smart repairer for the job.

Rayann, you just gave me the lightbulb moment - and it's one of those 'DOH!!' moments where you end up kicking yourself  :sad:

I was out visiting a client and ended up having 'one of those days' where a job that I expected to take an hour ended up taking three. On top of that, when I finished the job and left, I got outside to find my car covered in stuck-on cherry blossom and also a lot of bird poo because the only place I could park when I arrived was under a tree.

On the way home I called into a car wash place where they do it by hand and completely forgot about the flaking paint! The pressure washer jet must have caused the majority of the damage  :wallbash:

Aha, I guess that's where it came from then!

Yes, Ive had first hand experience of that. Used a pressure washer on the wife's Merc which had a deep scratch on it about 5 years ago and it made it even bigger! 

Obviously I parked it with that side against the wall for the next few days until I got it sorted :w00t:

• Like 1