Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annual Servicing costs

Had my car serviced by my local garage last time - £130. Got a quote for a timing belt change. He said £450 but he also said he didn't want to do the job after talking to Lexus and being told there were potential complications with the start-up routine after disconnecting the Battery, which is a load of bull**** and sounds like the local Lexus dealer scaring off an independent in the hope I'd take it to them.

Unless the car is under warranty or still young / low mileage I would never consider using a dealer for servicing. I'd also try to source parts myself where-ever possible even when using and independent.

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Let us know how the service went and costings if possible. Thanks.

I had it paid for on a 3 year service plan but got no discount so it was £275 (old price, price recently went up to £295)

Passed its 3rd MOT with no advisories (cost £27 - half price on service plan)

Service was impeccable as usual - car was in for 2 days as I wanted the service, MOT and free full valet doing which takes 3 hours on its own including drying time

They recommended that the air con get serviced as it hadn't been done for 5 years. I got that done, no leaks found but gas was 0.54kg. Topped up with 0.65kg and all good (cost £59)

Provided with a Fuji Red IS300h Sport as well for no charge (review coming soon on the IS section)!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I had it paid for on a 3 year service plan but got no discount so it was £275 (old price, price recently went up to £295)

Passed its 3rd MOT with no advisories (cost £27 - half price on service plan)

Service was impeccable as usual - car was in for 2 days as I wanted the service, MOT and free full valet doing which takes 3 hours on its own including drying time

They recommended that the air con get serviced as it hadn't been done for 5 years. I got that done, no leaks found but gas was 0.54kg. Topped up with 0.65kg and all good (cost £59)

Provided with a Fuji Red IS300h Sport as well for no charge (review coming soon on the IS section)!

Have mine on a service plan too and have not paid anything extra over 4 years.(Car is approaching 7 years old). Think I pay £30 something monthly and it seems to be inexpensive luxury motoring to me.

Regards

John

• Like 2

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Have mine on a service plan too and have not paid anything extra over 4 years.(Car is approaching 7 years old). Think I pay £30 something monthly and it seems to be inexpensive luxury motoring to me.

Regards

John

Agreed - my car has had nothing done to it apart from wear and tear items like tyres/wipers and an air con service.

In hindsight I could have done without an air con service but being in the medical profession, I get concerned about Legionella pneumonia!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Rather an old and lapsed thread but maybe worth updating, particularly for potential Lexus RX owners.

My car is just over 5 years old with sub 41,000 miles.  (Very few miles have been added since March).  I want to retain good value in the car and in this respect will stay with service by Lexus main dealer for the next two or three years, albeit using the 'essential service'.  I was previously told the cost for the minor 'essential service' was £245 but apparently there has been a price rise in July which means it is now £275 at Cheltenham, this includes the hybrid Battery check but not the MOT.  Somebody did say much further back in this thread that being a 'Gold' Member secured  a discount on 'essential service' but this is contrary to what I understood would be the case so I will ask when I take it in for the service this month.

I am aware that Lexus main dealers are part of several groups.  Do they have nevertheless operate an identical service price structure do you know?  I know Lexus Direct located in Swindon discount the price of at least some parts and I wonder if they are less expensive on servicing, something I will look into for the future.

17 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Rather an old and lapsed thread but maybe worth updating, particular for potential Lexus RX owners.

My car is just over 5 years old with sub 41,000 miles.  (Very few miles have been added since March).  I want to retain good value in the car and in this respect will stay with service by Lexus main dealer for the next two or three years, albeit using the 'essential service'.  I was previously told the cost for the minor 'essential service' was £245 but apparently there has been a price rise in July which means it is now £275 at Cheltenham, this includes the hybrid battery check but not the MOT.  Somebody did say much further back in this thread that being a 'Gold' Member secured  a discount on 'essential service' but this is contrary to what I understood would be the case so I will ask when I take it in for the service this month.

I am aware that Lexus main dealers are part of several groups.  Do they have nevertheless operate an identical service price structure do you know?  I know Lexus Direct located in Swindon discount the price of at least some parts and I wonder if they are less expensive on servicing, something I will look into for the future.

Interested in this thread as well.

Looking to buy a RX 450h and do not have a local Lexus dealer...only a Toyota dealer.  Asked the Lexus warranty guys if that would invalidate the warranty and they said no.  Toyota labour costs are way cheaper than Lexus rates and parts are cheaper.  Also wanted a Lexus warranty and service plan but Toyota dealer said they can do a Lexus warranty but not a service plan.  Mmm.....  Talking to the nearest Lexus dealer they said they could do both and that Toyota dealers should honour the service plan. 

Down to all car dealerships being franchises linked to manufacturers.  So each dealership will have their own ideas about what how they will do their business as a franchisee.  If you aren't happy with them then first port of call should he the manufacturer - is Lexus.

Anyone selling a nice 2011, 2012, 2013 RX 450h??

3 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Down to all car dealerships being franchises linked to manufacturers.  So each dealership will have their own ideas about what how they will do their business as a franchisee.  If you aren't happy with them then first port of call should he the manufacturer - is Lexus.

Hi Ken, all the car manufacturers have franchise agreements with their dealers, which spells out their franchise terms. You will find the manufacturers’ by law have very little control, unless the dealer is breaching his terms of trade. Of course you expect common sense and decency to prevail, and mostly it does, but as you sometimes read on here about expecting Lexus to intervene or somehow overrule , when it is ultimately the Dealer who is legally responsible. I think John at royoftherovers gives good practical advice to sort it yourself , without threats , but in a firm and reasonable way, and in writing and keep copies !!

If one is not happy with the performance of the franchisee (Lexus Dealer), then it,(not Lexus UK) is the first port of call.

Request in writing a copy of the franchisee`s Complaints Procedure, (email is an excellent way) and complete the procedure to the spirit and the letter.

If at the conclusion of proceedings, you are still unhappy and if the matter has stopped short of involving the Dealer Principal, write to him/her stating clearly and unequivocally why you remain dissatisfied. If after receiving his/her response, you remain unhappy, then involve Lexus UK stating your reasons for remaining dissatisfied and provide copies of all correspondence to date. Do not  do anything that would amount to you as the complainant not following procedures.And stick to the facts.

By all means ask for advice on this Forum,but do NOT name names.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

£1,000 question

If you were going to buy a 450h, where would you buy from?  Lexus Dealer and take out the warranty? Or independent and get it cheaper?

What age of car would you NOT take out the extended warranty if bought from a Lexus Dealer?

I am now in a quandary, as my daughter needs a larger car and wants my wonderful RX300!

I feel it is going to cost the bank of Mum and Dad some money!

PLEASE HELP!, 

The RX cars are nice as you are aware and also probably as reliable as they come but when they do go wrong they are expensive and involved to repair. 

My elder daughter and her husband have 4 children and are delighted with their Kia Sorento automatic with Pan roof which has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.  As a diesel it gives very similar mpg to my RX although acceleration is a big slower.  There are more hard plastics than on the RX but the seats are comfortable.  Service costs  are so much cheaper than Lexus so on budget and needing large SUV worth checking out. Like me with the Lexus, she and her husband prefer after market TomTom as sat nav. I did several journeys in it last week and although not as premium as a Lexus it's a lot cheaper to buy and run with good reliability and comfort. 

• Thanks 1

Just had my 40k/6yr service at Ipswich. Didn't bother with Essentials as the cost difference wasn't significant, MoT was free as I have the extended warranty, total cost just a few pence short of £470 - not cheap, but exactly as quoted. 6yr service would usualy require plug replacement, but there was no need for them to be done at 40,000 miles.

Ended up with a 20-reg Yaris Hybrid loan car - not really an issue as there was just me and I wasn't doing a large mileage in the day, but still a bit odd I thought. It'd only done 50 miles when I started, easy to get 55-60mpg+ out of it.

We talked about the fact they don't have so many gen 3 RXs go through the forecourt now, as they're getting a bit older. The receptionist expressed interest in buying mine, not that I have any plans to get rid of it and I'm hoping to buy it outright when the PCP has finished.

• Like 1