Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So I recently bought a 2008 GS450H, my 1st Lexus and I'm loving it.  

One of the area the things I wanted was a phone holder on the center console without sticking stuff to the dash and looking ugly.  The center console has a nice big hole for a casset that I will never use so I made a cassette mounted magnetic mount.  Hold the phone nicely.

Will get some pictures in car, but feel free to copy and make your own similar solution.  

Parts used, some I already had around the house.

Magnetic Car Mount
Sugru
Tape Cassette Adapter
Repair Plate

Dismantled the cassette and removed all the gears and internals.  The trimmed down a hole for the Repair plate to be inserted padding out with the Sugru putty the screwing the tape back together.  Adding some sugru to the front to make the solution more presentable, textured the finish with the spare gears from inside the tape.  Leave to dry overnight.

XGBnX9hLCTXE9MPVmbm80mt5j9YduKhuguKtnO4U

VqOZ6t-SX8Ii520PDF4VxTbK5a8bulS1XHX6F_UG

• Like 2

Genius, been struggling for ideas with a mount for wireless charging holder and this may well be on the right path, thanks for sharing.

I assume then that the tape doesn't fully go into the head unit and drop/lower itself, otherwise the l bracket will jam and chase issues?

Now just need to find somewhere that sells tapes lol. (Edit just saw link) and watch it go in and out to confirm it'll not jam.

The tape is not meant to be inserted on my design, however you could have tap inserted if you use a longer metal tab and it would hold tighter.  When you take all the gears out the tape will no longer stay in the cassette player as it must detect no tension exists and classes this as a faulty cassette and ejects.  Originally it was going to be fully inserted till I realise it keeps ejects one I stripped those internals.

Next adjustment for me is adding a stop on the back of the metal bracket ie some soft foam material on the back.  As you can poke it and it will go slightly inside then eject.

Also going to add some of the soft side of velcro to make it a tighter fit.

8MAAzrrD8wqa4ikOjsWQFZqza3wvRSuaFqSwokv9

U7iHAfQNXTtvL5k9YkPdEyjij71_FcGUu0Rx29Ki

• Like 1

I see, cleaver old gizmo!

I like the idea of your backing to stop it inserting and ejecting etc.

I'm thinking of a hinged bracket that comes further out so can angle back a fair bit, that has a magnet to hold it up, but can then be lowered (pitched forward) so phone not in the way of cd slot. This is before I've tried for fit etc, might not be needed I guess.

Good work Jason, although the recent 2 pics aren't showing, so not sure what they show lol.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links