Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, I’ve had the car for a few weeks now and am interested in what others are getting?

My overall average so far is 48.2mpg. The latest tank average since refuelling is 49.7mpg. Not bad for a big 2.5 litre car. My IS 220d was averaging 38.6mpg, with a max of around 42mpg on a long run!

I’ve not yet seen 50mpg but it did climb to 49.9mpg the other day. How do I break the 50 barrier? Any tips?

I spend most of my time in Eco Mode regardless of the traffic situation. The handbook says that I should use Normal most of the time and Eco in stop start traffic. What do others do?

Cheers,

Alan

I also get around 50 mpg, and recently got over 51 on a long trip to Scotland and back, travelling mostly on motorways at the speed limit.

I tend to drive mine in Eco mode most of the time as it is relaxed and perfect for cruising around. I do switch to Sport mode when entering a busy roundabout, say, but otherwise it stays in Eco. I rarely use Normal mode.

i have 1864 miles on clock now car getting better the more I use it, tank readout on dash gives me 48.7 this is on last run to scarborough at 60mph car with just me and wife .

only fault was noise from tyres [standard dunlops 17 inch] this was due in most part from bad road surface, bonus on run found the newly improve dab service in this part of Yorkshire gave exelent sound with NO fade. polish

Done around 250 miles today going from Edinburgh to Washington and return. Down the A1 and back up thru Coldstream so there was a good variety of road types. Not hanging about, but driving briskly gave me a reading of 39mpg on the dash. Not bad, but it could be a bit better.

Hum, I'm struggling (have to work hard) to get over 30/32 average, on long run or commute, so be well chuffed with high 40s and don't worry about any more, just enjoy!

On 2017-5-12 at 10:02 AM, Ala Larj said:

Well, I’ve had the car for a few weeks now and am interested in what others are getting?

My overall average so far is 48.2mpg. The latest tank average since refuelling is 49.7mpg. Not bad for a big 2.5 litre car. My IS 220d was averaging 38.6mpg, with a max of around 42mpg on a long run!

I’ve not yet seen 50mpg but it did climb to 49.9mpg the other day. How do I break the 50 barrier? Any tips?

I spend most of my time in Eco Mode regardless of the traffic situation. The handbook says that I should use Normal most of the time and Eco in stop start traffic. What do others do?

Cheers,

Alan

The 300h is basically the same drivetrain as a Prius, just with a bigger engine. The techniques for maximising economy are therefore the same - obviously you can't hit the same highs as you can in the Toyota, but it is relatively straightforward to beat the 'official' figures. The US Prius Chat forum has loads of hypermiling tips, although don't expect the same results in the UK as they can hit on a straight, flat, warm, dry Californian road!

My best average over a 32-mile commute stands at 66mpg, achieved on a nice warm early morning last year. The photo below shows a few days' worth of commuting last year when my best stood at 62.8mpg. I have a very hybrid-friendly commute - mainly slow A-roads at ~50mph with lots of 30-limit villages to cruise through in milkfloat mode. I was really hoping to see a 70mpg run in the 300h, as I hit 93mpg in a Gen3 Prius on this route, but I've concluded that I won't get near that without a significant tail wind. Through the winter my average dropped to around 50mpg - cold temps and wet roads kill economy. My 'worst' run was 36mpg, when I was 'testing' Sport+ mode last summer, so I'd say driving style is definitely the major factor.

I've listed a few suggestions for increasing economy below - obviously it's not always possible to stick to these for reasons of safety / courtesy to other drivers / having a life and needing to get somewhere. However, I have found they make a huge difference to mpg in daily driving as well as helping me to relax and stop worrying about saving a couple of minutes off my journey time:

• Accelerate briskly up to speed. This is more efficient than crawling slowly, but don't go into the power zone. The HUD is helpful for this.
  • When up to speed, try to maximise the time spent coasting - holding the car for brief periods in the 'no flow' spot between regeneration and acceleration is better than allowing the regen to slow you down by lifting off completely. You need to be in Eco mode for this - the throttle is too sensitive otherwise - and again, the HUD is a big help.
  • Allow your speed to fall ~10mph going uphill. Coast downhill using the same technique as above, rather than lifting off completely. You get more from the extra distance coasting than you do from the Battery refilling slightly.
  • Stay below an indicated 60 (reality 56mph). For big numbers, you need to stay below 50. I'm lucky, as in Suffolk no bugger drives faster than 45 anyway so if you go much quicker than that, you just catch up with someone else going slower anyway.
  • Read the road ahead and ease off early to coast down to a stop. This can bring big gains, if you're not in a hurry.
  • In 30 limits use the HUD to keep the car in milkfloat mode. A brief, sharp lift of the throttle can kick it onto electric power if the ECU's not initially in the mood. Note that this contradicts the advice of true hypermilers, who insist that you should avoid depleting the batteries as you lose more refilling them than you do running on electric power. What they say makes absolute sense in terms of physics, but in both the Prius and the 300h I have consistently achieved better results using my method. Go figure.

I hope the above is of some help/interest. Driving like this is definitely not for everyone, but it definitely brings its own joys!

20160609_061624133_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Jay, will give your tips a go. I must admit that the GS does encourage me to waft around at a relaxing pace. My boy racer days were well and truly over years ago! I find keeping a big gap between me and the car in front makes for a much more stress free drive. 

My GS300H is giving me 34.7mpg local. I think i need to ban the mrs for a few week and test it myself.. but now it makes sense when she said she missed the ISF.:whip:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links