Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How are the New RX450s doing?

Hello, I have a 10 year old RX 400 that I'll upgrade sooner or later and I was wondering how the new RX 450 2016 versions are fairing , any problems or recalls?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine has been very good thus far. Very smooth and silent with a surprising turn of speed when accelerating from 50mph to overtake. Overall since September 2016 I have got 32.5mpg but currently I am getting about 34mpg on the last tank.

I have had one recall advised about the rear hatch closing but I have left this for the first service in late August. Everything works fine. Some features are a bit idiosyncratic but once you know how to operate them this is a minor issue.

The worst thing is the Navigation as the maps are a year out of date when you get the car and the operation of the system is a bit old fashioned. The Lexus portal doesn't work very well but this is common to all the cars and not the RX alone.

• Like 2

Have you had any problems with the rubber seals around the rear doors coming off? - I have had 3 different new RXs over the past few months and all 3 suffered from this problem and the seals were on back order...

39 minutes ago, DanD said:

Have you had any problems with the rubber seals around the rear doors coming off? - I have had 3 different new RXs over the past few months and all 3 suffered from this problem and the seals were on back order...

Never had this seal issue in my RX or in my previous one. Didn't know it was a thing to be honest. 

What happens? does it just fall off when opening the door or something?

Yes , my RX went in to have the rear door seals replaced under warranty. A common problem with the new RX. The inner seal from the rear door waistline starts peeling off ,halfway down along the door.

The showroom model in Leeds has it and they haven't fixed it! Apparently the showroom models don't belong to the dealer so they didn't bother replacing them.

Ah yes, you just reminded me that I glued the ends of mine back with Evostick and this has entirely fixed this issue. It's just the double sided tape used to fit the seals being a bit useless. I didn't consider this a big issue as it is the secondary (outer) seal on mine. The main inner seal (attached to the doorframe) is intact.

When the OP asked about problems this wasn't really in my mind.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, rayaans said:

Never had this seal issue in my RX or in my previous one. Didn't know it was a thing to be honest. 

What happens? does it just fall off when opening the door or something?

This only happens on the new model, and only on the rear doors. The seal dettaches itself and hangs down... it becomes a bit of a challenge to reposition it and then quickly close the door before it comes off again only to be trapped and stick out! As mentionned above, the double sided tape seems to be at fault. Bit of shame that a company like Lexus should get caught out on such a basic detail. I am also surprised that they should consider replacing the whole seals rather than just the tape!

• 4 weeks later...

The latest model does seem to have a few problems. Nothing serious but annoying. We have had every model of the RX and this latest is the only one we have ever had problems with. First experienced the upper rear door seals coming adrift. Lexus first tried to stick them back but this was a mess and did not solve the issue. They then completely replaced both rear seals and admitted it was a problem. Have now got to have both lower seals over the wheel arch replaced as they have now come adrift.

Have also had problems with trim in the sunroof coming adrift and jamming up the works. Now have two bits of trim that have fallen out completely and cannot see where to put them back. Car is booked in for its first service next month and hopefully they will sort out then.

Thanks for the information. I'll watch out for those things when I hopefully get one.

1 hour ago, ISJason said:

Thanks for the information. I'll watch out for those things when I hopefully get one.

Which one are you thinking of going for Jason? 

6 hours ago, WESTIE said:

The latest model does seem to have a few problems. Nothing serious but annoying. We have had every model of the RX and this latest is the only one we have ever had problems with. First experienced the upper rear door seals coming adrift. Lexus first tried to stick them back but this was a mess and did not solve the issue. They then completely replaced both rear seals and admitted it was a problem. Have now got to have both lower seals over the wheel arch replaced as they have now come adrift.

Have also had problems with trim in the sunroof coming adrift and jamming up the works. Now have two bits of trim that have fallen out completely and cannot see where to put them back. Car is booked in for its first service next month and hopefully they will sort out then.

Sounds like you may have got a Friday evening car. Is it an early model? 

Did check the seals on the pre reg at my local dealer and they were stuck on fairly well. Asked for permission to yank which they said OK and still nothing. 

Only seems to happen on certain cars I think

• Like 1