Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just out of curiosity is it possible to remap the is250 here in the uk and has anybody ever had one done? If so did it make a noticeable difference. 

I remember reading a while back that nobody has managed to remap the lexus but thought by now somebody may have cracked it.

As I say I'm just curious and wouldn't chip mine as I'm totally happy with the car the way it is.

17 hours ago, peachy said:

Just out of curiosity is it possible to remap the is250 here in the uk and has anybody ever had one done? If so did it make a noticeable difference. 

I remember reading a while back that nobody has managed to remap the lexus but thought by now somebody may have cracked it.

As I say I'm just curious and wouldn't chip mine as I'm totally happy with the car the way it is.

The petrol are locked, only alternative turbos or as above states supercharger at massive outlay.

• Like 1

Although the ECUs were in-cracked for years, there seems to be a lot of tuners offering IS250 mapping on another popular US based forum so I am guessing it must be very much possible now but haven't seen any UK companies offering the service. Gains would be minimal I imagine but throttle response and clever fuelling could certainly make the car feel different

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any uk company offering a remap for the is250. It's possible with the is220d as several members here have had it done and reported positive results. 

It would be rather pointless any company spending time and money developing a remap for the is250 as there's just not that many about and the majority of owners simply don't go for performance upgrades.

Would it be worth the £300 or so for a remap? Being a normally aspirated engine gains would be minimal. 5-10 extra bhp at best.

NA petrol engines are not worth remapping, it is not that important whenever it is petrol or diesel, but more important is that diesels nowadays are by default Turbocharged. NA engine is by default limited to the amount of air it can get, and as such the amount of fuel they can burn at optimal air/fuel ratio. You have to significantly alter the NA engine to get gains in power, from minor upgrades like the less restrictive air filter or exhaust, to highly expensive ones like lightened pistons, shaved heads etc. On turbo engine, it is just a matter of pumping more air from turbo and adjusting fuel/air mix in ECU. Obviously, even trubo engines has limits before you need bigger turbo or injectors or the rest of the parts to sustain the additional power, but even the most basic turbo engines can gain like +50hp by simply re-adjusting ECU. NA engines needs expensive physical mods + still needs to re-adjust ECU.

To summarise remaining NA engines are lose/lose scenario - big expenses little gain, theoretically doable, but practically pointless. 

As for those doing across the pond - they as well turbo/superchagring IS250 (but more often IS350) and then remapping, I really doubt anyone does it on NA engines. Obviously, micro-modes are possible to remap throttle, but that is not what I regard as remap.I guess you referring specifically to the engine remap for the purpose of gaining power, not cosmetics of how it is delivered.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bunch of nonsense in their website - The gearbox ECU on IS250 is self-learning, if you want remap then just disconnect the Battery for 15 min and let it reset. Then drive the way you want and it will set the gearbox accordingly. I have driven mine like stolen for few days and then realised gear changes became very sharp and unsubtle, then had few nice weekend drives just cruising around - got back to buttery smooth.

As for the engine - again nonsense. Where they getting that "extra peak power and torque"? It is atmospheric engine, more air and more fuel can make more power, where does extra air comes from? Throttle response I can understand - there is little button in IS250 which says "sport/snow" - it does exactly the same thing - sharpens throttle response. In other hand it is not like throttle response is "laggy" in IS250 - that is the strength of NA v6.

And just to prove it is non-sense here is comparison between IS250 and Aston Martin Rapide text

Gearbox TCU Remapping
If your 6000 V12 477bhp 2009+ Aston Martin Rapide is fitted with an automatic or semi automatic transmission we can perform a gearbox remap in additional to the engine remap. A gearbox remap on your Aston Martin Rapide will offer faster shift speeds, smoother gear shifts, faster reaction to paddle shift inputs and improved mid range torque. Vehicles are also quicker and more responsive at low speeds or from a standstill due to earlier transmission locking. 

Gearbox TCU Remapping
If your 2500i 208bhp 2005+ Lexus IS250 is fitted with an automatic or semi automatic transmission we may be able to offer a gearbox remap in additional to the engine remap. A gearbox remap on your Lexus IS250 will offer faster shift speeds, smoother gear shifts, faster reaction to paddle shift inputs and improved mid range torque. Vehicles are also quicker and more responsive at low speeds or from a standstill due to earlier transmission locking. 

In short they just have generic text with "insert" vehicle info of all vehicles 😄 

• Like 2

Well, I emailed them and the guy was very helpful and said it can be done. But not many people do it. And that gearbox tuning can’t be done on this car. But engine remapping can. For the money it might not be worth the 20+ bhp gain. But it can be done 

E7A2B9FC-B4B9-4B40-A013-05488C4C353F.png

49319888-C697-4870-8F8A-F363A47BF3B7.png

• Like 1

I'm with Linas on this. N/A remapping is a waste of time unless you're making other serious modifications. I doubt you'd notice a difference and I seriously doubt their 20bhp/18Nm claim.

I don't own an IS250 but I've had plenty of cars tweaked.

I doubt i'd have it done tbh. Too far to travel for me being in Derby,  expensive job that won't get many gains imo. 

but it's nice to know it can be done. 

I can imagine some peak power can be gained by lifting rev limit, but that is not because they tune-up the engine, rather because they let it destroy itself more. As for torque I doubt it can be done on this engine altogether.

You know.. they said "no hassle refund" - so I guess we can try just for giggles. Do dyno before the tune, do dyno after tune and if it is not 20hp and 18Nm... I get my money back!

This is true. I'd have to drive it a few hundred miles there and back so i'm pretty sure i'd know if it was working the way it should. and decide to get a refund or not

Still not sure. i have  typhoon induction kit and full stainless steel exhaust system anyway, not much point trying to squeeze any more power??  

i'm thinking just save up for an IS-f instead lol

Yes sadly we don't have IS350 here. ..

I guess it would be possible to "feel" if the tune-up would add 20HP @2000rpm.. but at 6500 I doubt one could feel it at all.  As for the mods you have - do you feel the difference have you tried to dyno car to see if they made any difference?

No, never dyno tested the car before or after mods. 

But I have owned the car for a while now, driven it plenty without the K&N typoon induction kit or exhaust

air filter made a slight difference on throttle response, even in sport mode. but the noise it makes is the most notable change. Worth the ££ i spent just for that sound imo. and it makes the engine bay look much nicer.

the exhaust, again, feels a bit quicker and picks up the power earlier. but this is just me "feeling" the car as i drive it. not very scientific i know. 

Its an ARK DT-s exhaust system, Kept the original manifolds and cats, but get more flow and hopefully more power. 

With the typhoon and exhaust i should get about 23bhp+ from what the websites stated figures. 

http://www.arkperformance.com/ARK-DT-S-Lexus-IS-250-350-RWD-06-12-p/lex-is-rwd-(06-12).htm

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=69-8701TP

Nothing to be gained on a na engine.

As for chipping diesels, I've yet to see one that has been done correctly. These so called diesel chips bang more diesel in but they are not able to sort the air side correctly which is why you can spot a chipped diesel a mile away with the amount of black smoke they kick out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That is how you spot most of the diesels anyway 😄  but I agree when chipping done incorrectly it just makes the problem worse. I guess most common "mod" is to DPF delete + chip a.k.a "coalroller mode".... just makes me sick listening to diesel drivers how they "improved the performance".

@bellaby - did you as well said that you go drop in low torque or was that somebody else with custom exhaust? 

@Linas.P  not sure what you're asking there mate? you mean i get more torque from lower revs?  I know it feels sharper and seems to pull slighty better. I know its not very scientific tho.

I may record mine doing 0-60, see what i get from it? and compare to a stock is250

Well, it is quite simple - less restrictive exhaust almost always going to loose in low end torque for high end horse power. Meaning that you can potentially do quicker 0-60, but slower 0-15... 

• Like 1

The guy who did my son's Golf said he can do most Lexus vehicles.

The IS250 would see minimal gains however.

The IS200t on the other hand can push out 270hp on a stage 1. 

On 10/12/2018 at 5:45 PM, baviaannl said:

That tuning firm are 10 minutes from me....  Not tempted in the slightest, as has already been said you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

But you can do favour for Lexus community get your car "tunned" and the refunded (just because it is clear they cannot deliver what is promised) 😄

I would actually bet £50 that it won't be 20Nm/HP and certainly not across the range (meaning if it actually works and you keep the tune - you can keep £50 as well, if it is refunded then I take my £50 back). But the only way to prove is to do dyno before and after (better with independent garage).

• 2 months later...

To add to this mystery...  My backbox fell off so I've booked into an exhaust workshop and I'm having a custom SS fitted.  At the time of booking he offered me a deal on a remap, he reckoned he could do a stage 1 increase to 228 HP 272NM.  He told me he's only been able to offer this on the IS250 as recently as 3 weeks ago and has had nearly 10 in as a result with great results.

Have any of those 10 been from this forum?  I didn't go for it, would like to see some before and after charts personally.